Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to take delivery of a 2016 Gunner, after the dealer changes some things on it.

One of the things I want is the dual tach/speedo like the one on the Hammer S.

The Victory accessories catalog says it will fit the 2015 Gunner, but not the 2016 Gunner. We're baffled (both the dealer and I)...

Does anyone have any idea why it wouldn't work on the 2016??

This is what I'm talking about:

·
12,968 Posts
am guessing your dealer looked it up on there computer and Vic hasn't updated their accessory parts. If you had a smart dealer or salesman he would of called Vic or looked up the triple tree to see if they change it. Am guessing its the same triple tree for the last five years so that wouldn't by why. It might be that there is no wires for the tach but then the jackpot or vegas couldn't have a tach.
Bottom line bad salesmen

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer went ahead and ordered the kit. We're going to try it anyway. I don't blame him - I'm probably the first guy to ask that question... It's a small shop, and they're great guys, knowledgeable motorcyclists.

The Gunner was parked next to a Hammer, and we measured the bolt pattern - it's exactly the same. So, you are right, it might be the wiring. The Gunner actually does have a digital tach, so there is rpm info going to it.

We just couldn't figure out why the 2015 and the 2016 are different.

Full disclosure: I'm an old guy, 58 years old, been riding for 45 years, and I HATE digital anything! I want a round tach with a needle!! ;-)

·
12,968 Posts
it should work. The gunner uses the same wire harness as vegas highball and jackpot. The triple trees are the same from 2012 and on.
You'll be fine

·
Registered
26 Posts
yea this is the same tach I've got on my 2015 Vegas and when I was looking at the Gunner it would have been the same. You should be fine.

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
Yep!
Welcome to Victory,
Got one on my Vegas and it's real handy.
Will help you keep your Vic in "the zone"
They love to run 3000 and up, not your usual slugger these machines breathe.
You're gonna love it!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was wrong about the accessories catalog - it does list the 2016 Gunner. Part number 2878210...

It's just the website that is wrong.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yep!
Welcome to Victory,
Got one on my Vegas and it's real handy.
Will help you keep your Vic in "the zone"
They love to run 3000 and up, not your usual slugger these machines breathe.
You're gonna love it!
I rode it for 30 minutes yesterday. They didn't even send a guy to ride with me.

I'm here to tell you, that thing is a torque monster! I can't wait to take it home. In addition to the tach, I'm having the foot controls extended by 2" forward. Damn legs are too long, and knees too stiff. I think 2" will be enough, but I found a 4" extension kit for the Gunner from another company if 2" isn't enough.

It's hell to be tall, and love motorcycles at the same time.... It limits you.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Opposite

I am a bit shorter than you, 5'7". A lot of bikes out there are just to tall for me. I like the Gunner also, but I have a CrossRoads. My bike now has 41,000 miles. Put the analog tach on mine, had the dealer install it before I picked it up. Got to have analog tach, digital is worthless, can not read it going down the road. Good bikes. Enjoy the new ride.:smile

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I am a bit shorter than you, 5'7". A lot of bikes out there are just to tall for me. I like the Gunner also, but I have a CrossRoads. My bike now has 41,000 miles. Put the analog tach on mine, had the dealer install it before I picked it up. Got to have analog tach, digital is worthless, can not read it going down the road. Good bikes. Enjoy the new ride.:smile
It's weird - pretty much anything with footboards, I feel cramped on, even though they're big bikes. A few months ago, I spent the weekend on a friend's borrowed 2014 Street Glide, and I never could quite get comfortable. As soon as I got back on my little Super Glide with it's extended controls, I was comfortable again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but I have a question for you.

I'm looking at the tach kit for my 2015 Gunner, on the site the part #2878210 shows a different picture than what you've got set up. The needle always looks different.

I found it a little cheaper from another site, so I might bite the bullet and order, but just wanted to see what you thought of that stock photo always looking different. From what I've found I guess this kit is pretty much plug and play, just want to make sure it'll fit and match my bike!

Tachometer : VictoryPartsPitstop.com

^^That's the one I'm looking at picking up.

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
well heres mine the day I fitted it and it matches my 2010 speedo, same needle and dial as the one in the link, looks to be an older style than the one on the Gunner

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
My Gunner is a 2016 model. The dealer told me they didn't make a tach kit for the Gunner because it wasn't listed in the online catalog, even though it said it fit the Vegas, Hammer, and High Ball.

I was bound and determined I was gonna get that tach.

I said there's no way it won't fit the Gunner, it's the same damn motorcycle. There was a Hammer sitting right next to my Gunner in the showroom, and I even measured the holes in the top of the triple tree. Of course they were the same...

I finally convinced the guy to order the tach kit. He told me later that the Victory catalog was notorious for wrong part numbers, bikes not listed, etc. etc.

Anyway, they put it on and it fits/works just fine.

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
My Gunner is a 2016 model. The dealer told me they didn't make a tach kit for the Gunner because it wasn't listed in the online catalog, even though it said it fit the Vegas, Hammer, and High Ball.

I was bound and determined I was gonna get that tach.

I said there's no way it won't fit the Gunner, it's the same damn motorcycle. There was a Hammer sitting right next to my Gunner in the showroom, and I even measured the holes in the top of the triple tree. Of course they were the same...

I finally convinced the guy to order the tach kit. He told me later that the Victory catalog was notorious for wrong part numbers, bikes not listed, etc. etc.

Anyway, they put it on and it fits/works just fine.
And I'll add that luckily for you the tach matched your other gauge.
The one in the pic on the link is same as mine, different needle and different quadrant, different lettering.
It'd still do the job but wouldn't match your speedo exactly.
I'm just making Kenny Saunders aware that the tach he gets may or may not match his speedo in styling.
Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts

Your not kidding on that one, fitment listed and does not fit, or not listed at all, or just down right wrong, like plug wires....FYI the new plug wires wont fit the bikes with the same length wires and same ends.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ugh, well that's pretty lame.

It sucks having the exact part number, and not knowing if I'll get the exact part like in your picture, KevinRidson.

I know I want to jump on getting one of these before they become hard to find, but maybe I'll just have to troll ebay for a bit to purchase an open box one, knowing what I'll actually get.

This is one of the first major disappointments I've had personally with Victory.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That dealer actually said it's a Polaris problem, not just Victory.

He has the same issues with Indian part numbers, and also the Polaris ATV's.
I wonder if I can take my computer in to the dealer and explain the issue, see if they can order it for me and make sure the right one comes in. I've been pretty happy with everything they've done so far. Might say screw it and have them order up the tach and 2" forward controls and put them on, that way I know it'll be right. If not, I'm sure they won't put that other tach on that doesn't match.

Thanks for your insights by the way!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts