Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05' Hammer

on an initial startup (cold)...if i dont let the bike warm up for 3-4 minutes, it will die if i try to pop the throttle. it almost wants to act like is carb'd, which i know isnt the case. Its fuel injected, so you should be able to pop the throttle over right away.

ive recently had a tune up and full fuel injection flush. and 7500 miles service.

any thoughts or is this typical.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm new to victory too so I'm not some one whos knows a lot about these bikes yet but I've read a lot about them and they say it is very important to let these bike warm up, most say a couple min before riding.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Yes, they are fuel injected but the the V92 likes their warm up time (about 2-3 minutes, summer getting into it easy out of 1st works best for me). Wait until winter gets here and you are next to a Carbed bike and listen to their hassles vs yours. :ltr:

My start up in warm weather is ignition over with no fast idle, fires up within 2-5 seconds and just let her idle as I am putting my gear on/getting set for the ride. Maybe crack the fast idle just a hair if you want.
Kill the fast idle if I had it on, a couple easy blips on the throttle and off we go. Not so say it may be a little slow on the response until you get past the first mile and I love my leaning so slow and sure wins the race for me. Once at op-temp, runs like a scaddle ape.

Winter start up, open the fast idle just a tad, start and bring it up to about 1300 rpm. 2-5 minute warm up as I am gearing up, keep fast idel on for first mile as I am heavy residential and alot of turns, etc. Come from work, just out to the main road then kill the fast idle. Again, once op-temp (5 min or so) she runs great.

If your getting backfires from blipping cold or not, just the nature of the engine from what I am told. Rarely after a good warm up for me. Hope this helps, safe riding!!!!

Tim thumb up

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
While they are injected. They use a very simple system. For the first 90 seconds or until the engine reaches 125. The bike is in full enrichment, and basically showering the engine with fuel. That said if the bike has a clean throttle body, and the TPS. Is adjusted properly; it will run pretty well even stone cold

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
While they are injected. They use a very simple system. For the first 90 seconds or until the engine reaches 125. The bike is in full enrichment, and basically showering the engine with fuel. That said if the bike has a clean throttle body, and the TPS. Is adjusted properly; it will run pretty well even stone cold
Seen a good improvement of idle becoming smoother faster at startup after cleaning the TB's but thought the better start and what seemed to be quicker warm up was just due to summer arriving. Glad to know what impact clean TB's make! Hmmm, can't wait for winter to get here now...lol..

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
Follow KevinX's advice on the throttle bodies being clean and the throttle position sensor being adjust correctly and it should run fine; even when cold. I currently have two 04 KP's (long story) and both of them run perfect; even when cold. I did pull the tank on one of them and clean the TB's myself since it hadn't been done in a while before I got it and it made an amazing improvement in idle.

I love these v92 Freedom motor's! Power galore and they sound great.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How often should the throttle body's be cleaned? I just bought my 05 Vegas, it has 10K on it, is this something I should do. (I did run some sea foam through it)

·
Registered
396 Posts
i clean mine every other oil change.thumb up

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
How often should the throttle body's be cleaned? I just bought my 05 Vegas, it has 10K on it, is this something I should do. (I did run some sea foam through it)
The bike will pretty much tell you when it's needed by the way it idles and runs in general but if it doesn't; every 10k miles is what I go by unless, as I said, something tells me otherwise.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I run Seafoam through my bike every couple of months. Is there something else I should be doing to clean the TB?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Does the throttle body still need periodic cleaning with a torque tube intake?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I run Seafoam through my bike every couple of months. Is there something else I should be doing to clean the TB?
The seafoam is cleaning the injector side, cleaning the TB (throats) does just what BBob is saying, Smoothing out the idle by cleaning the deposits within the TB intake. No fuel gets in there. I can't believe how dirty they can get and the difference it made in idle and start once cleaned. There are a couple threads step by step or I can cut/paste what I posted in another. Takes a couple hours and you get to get your hands a little dirty.. :D I used seafoams TB cleaners, toothbrush, mechanical fingers and a couple clean rags and they look like new. Bike continues to improve it's performance it seems... lol... PM me if you want Goatlocker...

Tim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts