Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2012 CCT for routine maintenance today (9450 miles) as I was planning a trip through VA, TN, and NC next week. I live in northeastern MD and predominantly ride in southeast PA. The mechanic tells me I should come into the garage area and look at my rear tire because it is severely cupping. He suggests one issue may be the manner in which PA crowns their roadways at the centerline in order to manage water run-off. He tells me there is no way the bike would pass a PA safety inspection if it were tagged there.

First of all, I've never heard of tires cupping before. I thought cupping was a problem limited to new hardwood floors or firearm cartridge primers. Anyway, I'd appreciate hearing feedback from anyone with a similar experience. My tire was 4lbs low today (36lbs instead of the recommended 40lbs). I almost always ride 2 up (98% of the time). If I ever felt this problem while operating, I'm sure I attributed it to the road surface and I've read forum comments where riders stated Dunlop E3s are noisy in curves and my tires were noisy. Any constructive feedback or comments would be appreciated. I'm contemplating contacting Dunlop AND Victory. The pics below are taken from different points on tire. I replaced the tire with another Dunlop E3 until I can do further research.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
How's the pressure in your shock holding? No constant loss or anything and how does the suspension feel 2up? The shock is not spongy is it? Last thing I would wonder is balance...

·
Registered
679 Posts
That is about the same mileage I got on my dunflops. Mine didn't cup, they were just about bald at 10k miles. Metzlers are worse, I now have 12k on bridgestones and I will probably get another 1500 miles before another one goes on.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How's the pressure in your shock holding? No constant loss or anything and how does the suspension feel 2up? The shock is not spongy is it? Last thing I would wonder is balance...
The shock definitely has a slow bleed-off. I'll measure it tomorrow and have a better idea of how much pressure I'm losing over a given time period. I know exactly when I inflated it last and the pressure I inflated it to. It's not spongy. I've always believed the suspension was excellent on this bike. It manages the bumps very well. I believe the saddlebag balance is very good; nothing loaded there which would cause me to rethink load balance. Saddlebags are usually hauling clothing and appear balanced. I have never noticed any handling issues.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is about the same mileage I got on my dunflops. Mine didn't cup, they were just about bald at 10k miles. Metzlers are worse, I now have 12k on bridgestones and I will probably get another 1500 miles before another one goes on.
I'll put Bridgestones on my list for consideration next time. I expected 12-14K out of the Dunlops and, boy, was I disappointed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Took my 2012 CCT for routine maintenance today (9450 miles) as I was planning a trip through VA, TN, and NC next week. I live in northeastern MD and predominantly ride in southeast PA. The mechanic tells me I should come into the garage area and look at my rear tire because it is severely cupping. He suggests one issue may be the manner in which PA crowns their roadways at the centerline in order to manage water run-off. He tells me there is no way the bike would pass a PA safety inspection if it were tagged there.

First of all, I've never heard of tires cupping before. I thought cupping was a problem limited to new hardwood floors or firearm cartridge primers. Anyway, I'd appreciate hearing feedback from anyone with a similar experience. My tire was 4lbs low today (36lbs instead of the recommended 40lbs). I almost always ride 2 up (98% of the time). If I ever felt this problem while operating, I'm sure I attributed it to the road surface and I've read forum comments where riders stated Dunlop E3s are noisy in curves and my tires were noisy. Any constructive feedback or comments would be appreciated. I'm contemplating contacting Dunlop AND Victory. The pics below are taken from different points on tire. I replaced the tire with another Dunlop E3 until I can do further research.
I am aware of two reasons tires cup. Low tire inflation over time or improper or inadequate suspension damping (a shock failure was the cause of the one rear that was ruined prematurely.) I certainly don't believe the road makes a difference.

The stock front tire on my 13 XCT is already beginning to whine a little.
Rear seems good and now that it has been brought up I'll have to inspect them.

Regards,
Mark

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Personally I find Dunlops to be middle of the road. I like Metzs. Better grip and handling. Sometimes mileage does not equate to the best tire. As soon as I need replacement these stock Dunlops are gone

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am aware of two reasons tires cup. Low tire inflation over time or improper or inadequate suspension damping (a shock failure was the cause of the one rear that was ruined prematurely.) I certainly don't believe the road makes a difference.

The stock front tire on my 13 XCT is already beginning to whine a little.
Rear seems good and now that it has been brought up I'll have to inspect them.

Regards,
Mark
Thanks for that info. That's certainly more than I knew 5 minutes ago. I suppose I'm guilty of both; not watching tire or shock pressure closely enough.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Personally I find Dunlops to be middle of the road. I like Metzs. Better grip and handling. Sometimes mileage does not equate to the best tire. As soon as I need replacement these stock Dunlops are gone
I'm beginning to wonder if Dunlops are even middle of the road. I had a set on a 4WD Toyota pick-up once and they were the worst tire in the rain. Couldn't keep that truck on the road after a shower.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for that info. That's certainly more than I knew 5 minutes ago. I suppose I'm guilty of both; not watching tire or shock pressure closely enough.
Your welcome.

I had poor began inflation practice at first with my last bike. After replacing the front at a mere 4,800 miles I got the hint. Ran Metzeler on front from then on. Didn't care for their rear as I think that the steel belt didn't ride as well as the Cobra AV72 I ended up loving out back.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No tire should look like that
Now, that's what I thought!!!! That tire looks downright abused and that's not the way I ride.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wes, what Bridgestones are you running? I read somewhere they didn't make the correct size.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The wider and softer the tire is, the worse it gets too.

I had a 300 Avon (very soft tire) on my old chopper, and after about 6000 miles, it looked just like that. Absolutely due to the crowning in the roads I used to ride on at that time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The wider and softer the tire is, the worse it gets too.

I had a 300 Avon (very soft tire) on my old chopper, and after about 6000 miles, it looked just like that. Absolutely due to the crowning in the roads I used to ride on at that time.
In southeastern PA, the road crowning is very obvious. I just never expected it to have that much of an impact on tire wear. Today's episode will likely cause me to look for new places to ride.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
That tire just didn't look like that over night! When was the last time you checked your tires? Every 3000 miles? Come on man, you neglected to check your air pressure (pretty obvious) and it's the manufacturer's fault? Not only are you putting yourself at risk but also your passenger running with bagged tires. Your mechanic is right about the crown in the road, it has alot to do with it. Google - left side tire wear.
They say the left side of your tires travels 2x's further than the right side.
Don't mean to be a dick in anyway, I just don't want to see people get hurt when some of this could have been prevented. But that is a pretty bad case of cupping to go unnoticed....

·
Registered
659 Posts
Abused... under inflated for a long time. Can't even imagine how to do that kind of damage any other way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That tire just didn't look like that over night! When was the last time you checked your tires? Every 3000 miles? Come on man, you neglected to check your air pressure (pretty obvious) and it's the manufacturer's fault? Not only are you putting yourself at risk but also your passenger running with bagged tires. Your mechanic is right about the crown in the road, it has alot to do with it. Google - left side tire wear.
They say the left side of your tires travels 2x's further than the right side.
Don't mean to be a dick in anyway, I just don't want to see people get hurt when some of this could have been prevented. But that is a pretty bad case of cupping to go unnoticed....
Point taken, and if you read through my previous posts you'll see that I 'fessed up early on.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Abused... under inflated for a long time. Can't even imagine how to do that kind of damage any other way.

So with 100% certainty you can rule out a crappy tire? Under-inflation is the only possible answer here? I posted this thread to learn something because I'm far from being an expert.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts