Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The original Dunlop Elite 3 tyres on my XCT are now worn out and I'm looking to replace them.

I've been pretty happy with the Elite 3's, but I see that there is now an Elite 4 on the market.

Are any of you running these and if so, what do you think of them?

Cheers,

Russ

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
They claim they will go 18,000 miles. I get that on the E3's so I'd really like to try the 4's. I still have 8 or 9 thousand left on my present E3 and another sitting in the garage so it will be a bit before I get a chance to try one. I found it odd that the E4 costs less than the E3.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
I'm at 15,600 on my E3's and am having them replaced Friday because I'm headed out on a 2300-2500 mile ride in a week. They look like there's enough for that ride but I'm not comfortable with it.

Reactions: SkInM4N

·
Premium Member
6,234 Posts
Cannot believe anybody can be happy with E3

Can't wait to see if E4 is MUCH BETTER, and i truly hope so ...

Buy the way i had the Dunlop CruizeMax 80/90 21 48H on front and that was GOOD ... Cornering / braking excellent ... Comparison to the night dragon the dragon is only 20% better so front Dunlop vs NightDraggon is not much difference

So maybe it is just the E3 250/40R18 that is terrible ... Comparison to Metz the Metz is many many times better then the E3 .... So in future I will buy another brand rear just coz I dislike anything that has to do with Ger&@&-y .... Stuff

TaPaTaLk for VIC forum

Reactions: Kurbs

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
I'm very happy with my E3's I'm having a new set put on Friday. I really have no problems at all with them. I know I could easily go 18,000 miles on both there is still an easy 1/16" from the wear indicators.

Reactions: Chattanooga Mark

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Cannot believe anybody can be happy with E3

Can't wait to see if E4 is MUCH BETTER, and i truly hope so ...

TaPaTaLk for VIC forum
If your talking the E3 I agree, if your talking the E3 MT that's a completely diff animal. The E3 MT I consistently get 17,000 to 20,000 miles. I've ridden in rain, snow, high temps, low temps its all good. Metzlers although really great grip the rear kept delaminating. Stones, decent enough however the front tracks terribly with rain grooves and don't last long enough. So yes, I'm a fan of the E3 MT. Now being they say the E4 will go longer I'm going to give one a try.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
If your talking the E3 I agree, if your talking the E3 MT that's a completely diff animal. The E3 MT I consistently get 17,000 to 20,000 miles. I've ridden in rain, snow, high temps, low temps its all good. Metzlers although really great grip the rear kept delaminating. Stones, decent enough however the front tracks terribly with rain grooves and don't last long enough. So yes, I'm a fan of the E3 MT. Now being they say the E4 will go longer I'm going to give one a try.
The rear tire size for the Cross Country is the multi-tread tire.
180/60R16

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
The rear tire size for the Cross Country is the multi-tread tire.
180/60R16

Vindex; Correct however there was a predecessor to the E3 MT which was just E3 (no multi tread). They were oem on thousands of bikes. They did not hold up nearly as well, wore uneven and so on. I may be off a bit on this date but I think it was early 2013 when the MT version was introduced. However there were thousands of the basic E3's (no MT) in the warehouse which continued to be installed on new bikes as OEM.

My 2012 cross country came with the base E3 which I had experience with from my Goldwing so I new how they wore.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
Vindex; Correct however there was a predecessor to the E3 MT which was just E3 (no multi tread). They were oem on thousands of bikes. They did not hold up nearly as well, wore uneven and so on. I may be off a bit on this date but I think it was early 2013 when the MT version was introduced. However there were thousands of the basic E3's (no MT) in the warehouse which continued to be installed on new bikes as OEM.

My 2012 cross country came with the base E3 which I had experience with from my Goldwing so I new how they wore.
My only other experience is with my old Ultra Classic it had the D407 D408F multi tread tires on it and I understand they're just an E3 with Harley Davidson on the side. Those like my current E3's have unreal tread wear. The Ultra was going 18-20,000 easy and I know these would also.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
my first set of E3s ran 15k. I was pretty impressed. but they're squirrelly as hell on tar snakes. outside of that, they're pretty decent. but i probably wouldn't buy them again.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
my first set of E3s ran 15k. I was pretty impressed. but they're squirrelly as hell on tar snakes. outside of that, they're pretty decent. but i probably wouldn't buy them again.

Please let me know if you ever find a tire that isn't squirrely on tar snakes. I've only used Metzler, Dunlop's, Pirelli and Stones over recent years so I have not tried them all by any means. It seams no matter which I was running I always found myself rectally inhaling my seat if there were a lot of tar snakes.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
My 2011 has the non MT E3's. I've only got 10k miles on them (bought bike in late 2012) but the rear tire is cupped like crazy on the sides. I have kept them aired up to specs and even started putting in an extra couple of pounds the last couple of years. I will probably go with the E3's again and hope they don't cup as bad. I spend most of my time in the twistys with little time riding in a straight line so maybe a different brand of tire would suit me better?

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
My 2011 has the non MT E3's. I've only got 10k miles on them (bought bike in late 2012) but the rear tire is cupped like crazy on the sides. I have kept them aired up to specs and even started putting in an extra couple of pounds the last couple of years. I will probably go with the E3's again and hope they don't cup as bad. I spend most of my time in the twistys with little time riding in a straight line so maybe a different brand of tire would suit me better?
38 front 40 back no cupping.

Reactions: Strew3

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
My 2012 CCT came with E3's. They wore well but at 15K, I replaced them both. The rear was squared off but the front seemed fine. I replaced them with new E3's. MT in the back and regular E3 up front. I also had a set of Centramatics installed at the same time.

Fast forward to 32K miles and the rear E3 MT was just getting down to the wear bars but it still had a perfect profile. Not squared off at all. The front seemed like it could have gone several thousand more miles.

At 32K, I replaced the E3 MT with another E3 MT and installed a Dunlop Road Smart MT 160/60 up front.

I've always run 39psi in the front tire and 41psi in the rear tire.

I completely fail to see what some claim as poor performance out of the Dunlop E3 tires. Not sure what I'll do at my next tire change but another set of Dunlop's (E4 MT?) will certainly be a top consideration.

Reactions: SkInM4N

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Please let me know if you ever find a tire that isn't squirrely on tar snakes. I've only used Metzler, Dunlop's, Pirelli and Stones over recent years so I have not tried them all by any means. It seams no matter which I was running I always found myself rectally inhaling my seat if there were a lot of tar snakes.
The D404s on my Vulcan were significantly more stable on tar snakes. So were the Bridgestones on my wife's shadow. I'm not looking for nor expect a complete elimination of the nasty understeer that suddenly appears when i cross a tar snake at speed in a corner, but i can sure as hell expect a reduction, and at this point i'm more than willing to give up treadlife for it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I get an average 6-7 thousand miles on my E3`s!!!! What the hell! I never got close to that many miles on a tire, and I have tried them all! Here in Kansas, we ride 70-75 mph every where we go....Is that what is killing my mileage? Makes no diff on my vegas or vision, mileage the same. I don't do burn-outs, jackrabbit starts, or drag races, so what is going on? everyone I ride with gets anywhere from 5-7 thousand on a rear tire, and that's it!

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
We just got our first set of E4's, dual compound, seem a little hard to me but from what I was told they need to scuff in. Who needs a set? I have the 180/60/16 and 130/70/18 here now.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'm on my second pair of commander II's the rear is a 65 series so it's a quarter inch taller but it made the speedometer exactly matching my GPS. I know they are bias ply but I actually like the handling and ride better

Reactions: Tech23

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
I get an average 6-7 thousand miles on my E3`s!!!! What the hell! I never got close to that many miles on a tire, and I have tried them all! Here in Kansas, we ride 70-75 mph every where we go....Is that what is killing my mileage? Makes no diff on my vegas or vision, mileage the same. I don't do burn-outs, jackrabbit starts, or drag races, so what is going on? everyone I ride with gets anywhere from 5-7 thousand on a rear tire, and that's it!
Heavy engine braking kills tires.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Abuse aside, the road surface, road temperature, speed, tire pressure and riding habits each play their part in tire wear. If you do long range driving in a relatively straight line on smooth asphalt your tires will last the manufacturer specs. Combine a couple negative aspects like high heat with chip seal and you can easily drop 50% of the expected lifetime.

PS It would be nice if they do 18" MT4 rears by the time I need them.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts