Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one see the latest new report on the tire blow out death from a Dunlop Tire. 5 deaths and 22 injuries from them so far....Just another reason why I don't run Lops ! !

·
Super Moderator
4,970 Posts
Never any problems, never any...anything.

I get great wear, stability and cornering confidence with the E3 and now the E4.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
https://rideapart.com/articles/no-recall-on-dunlop-d402

Goodyear Claims D402 Tire Is Not Faulty, Won't Issue Recall

To recall or not to recall: deadly tire-related incidents raise concerns

Five. That’s the number of deaths linked to failure of the Goodyear*Dunlop*D402*Harley-Davidson*tire. Add 22 injured in the accidents the blowouts

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
When I ask a rider how much air is in their tires, the usual reply I get is; Whatever the shop put in last spring." It's a sad reality that a major fraction are riding on under inflated tires. No wonder there are those blowouts. There are two types of riders: Motorcyclists and motorcycle owners.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
People just don't care and nearly nobody out there knows how dangerous it is to run a tire with too low on air pressure. It heats the tire up and can eventually lead to a blowout. My buddy owns a tire shop and he sees it all the time with guys putting on big LT AT tires to replace the smaller P rated tires on their trucks. They keep the same psi (usually 35) when the tire now needs about 47 psi. Eventually the belts go bad or worse they have a blowout.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have used Dunlops on two previous bikes but have never used them on my 2013 Victory. I found out that they seem to handle OK, but wear a lot quicker than other brands like Metezler or Michelin. The front tire seems to cup quickly if you run it too long. But the reason I quit using them was the wear, but never had any blow out problems with them. Had a couple of flats due to nails or screws but that is normal. Also I have found that by checking the pressure in your tires before riding you can cut down on flats or bad handling. If you have a slow leak etc, you will find out when you check air pressure before riding. Plus I generally like to run a higher air pressure in my tires for handling purposes. The reason I do not use them anymore is because there are better tires out there in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
I've used nothing but Dunlop tires on my CCT from new to now over 57K miles. I have zero complaints and nothing but praise for them. The rear E3's all got well over 17K miles and now the E4 out back is doing even better. The front E3's never had any indication about cupping or uneven wear. They were all excellent. Now I have a Dunlop RoadSmart II (160/60) up front with over 24K miles that still looks like it can double that mileage.

I check the front and rear tire pressure about every two weeks along with the rear shock. Seldom, if ever do any of these three need air. I run 39psi up front and 41psi out back.

KeveinX posted (warned) recently how amazingly sad it is that he consistently sees bikes coming in with under 20psi in them. I suspect the main culprit of most tire issues remain excessive under inflation. With the owner being oblivious to the condition.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I for one would like to see a study of all brands and deaths/injuries before passing judgement. Not having anything to compare it to is meaningless.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
I for one would like to see a study of all brands and deaths/injuries before passing judgement. Not having anything to compare it to is meaningless.
The article was not about what tire is better or worse , it was about that one type of HD tire Dunlop refused to "recall" after deaths and wounded ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
13,003 Posts
D402 Tire is on the greater numbers of HD's. I'm guessing most don't even have a accurate tire gauge

·
Registered
307 Posts
Dunno.

I don't know. I went to Avon's on my Vision. Rear one has worn out at 10K but front is still going. Sadly I don't check my enough either so strongly recommend checking. Checked mine had 20 in front and 17 in back. Yea, kinda stupid but fortunate I had an easy learning experience. Maintenance is mandatory ;-)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Wait...I thought these fireball death crashes were only experienced by riders on the darkside.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts