Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the Duracell Ultra in their Cross bike?

My original battery was down to 9 volts after being on a battery tender over the winter. (12 XR). I searched local battery resellers for a replacement YTX20H (L) -BS with mixed success. Several of the shops, not bike shops, had substitutes of odd names with warranties of 3 months and or one year.

On a whim I checked Batteries Plus + Bulbs and found that they have the Duracell Ultra, Gray case, which shows as being made here in the US. $124.99, Order on line, pick up in store and use the pop up coupon code and save $10.00. Their website shows a $10 mail in rebate as well so now it is down to $102.49 plus sales tax.

This is a sealed battery.

Two year warranty. Bonus feature I found when I picked it up, the battery posts are threaded with steel inserts [placed in side the lead terminal "block" and, there are inserts useable from the top as well as inserts usable from the front so any additional power connections aren't all piled on top as the OEM battery had them.

I just picked it up a while ago today, will install it over the weekend.

Cross posted on another site.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
I have one and thing they are a very good battery at a very good price. Go for the one with the highest CCA rating (cold cranking amperage). I like that the terminals have 2 ways to attach wires/cables each - top and front. I use the tpo for the cables and the front for the accessories. BTW, I just installed a Batteries+ Duracell in a friend's bike today. He got it at that $102 price w/o going on line.
A word to the wise; as long as you have the battery out, replace that trouble making, POS breaker with a good BUSSMAN one. You have access to it with the battery out. You want a 40 amp with a mounting strap that goes the length of the breaker, not across it, as in the link below. Any auto parts store has them, especially NAPA. Mind which way the silver & brass terminals go.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/MonkeyJack-Automotive-Auto-Reset-Circuit-Breaker/dp/B077PDXFJ6/ref=sr_1_44?ie=UTF8&qid=1525477231&sr=8-44&keywords=40+amp+circuit+breaker[/ame]

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Duracel that MUST be good "stuff" i would defenetly try one

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I put one in my bike a couple of years ago but mine was not made in the US but China. Got mine at batteries + as well and I bought it based on the website saying it was a US battery. Oh well, it works.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Don't own a cross bike, but I have a Duracell and it's been terrific. It does not seem to discharge much at all. This past winter was consistently colder then others have been- so the bike sat for longer periods. I hooked up the trickle charger once out of curiosity after a little over 2 months. It showed that it was charging (yellow light). Set phone timer for 5 minutes & checked again. Done. That's basically no loss. Battery is 3 seasons old I think.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put one in my bike a couple of years ago but mine was not made in the US but China. Got mine at batteries + as well and I bought it based on the website saying it was a US battery. Oh well, it works.
On the Batteries Plus website they listed two Duracell ULTRA batteries, I was confused especially after speaking to one of the employees on the phone to confirm they had inventory locally. The guy told me the battery was made in US in the same plant they made the batteries HD uses..no comment from me at that point..so while looking on line I saw two listed, a black case and gray case, both priced the same, so I clicked the "compare" square on both and read the side by side comparison and found that all specs were the same but the gray case stated made in US and there was NO country of origin listed for the black case.
I bought the gray case.

I installed the battery this weekend and hooked everything back up, turned the key and flipped kill switch and everything that was supposed tolight up, lit up, hit the starter with throttle cracked about 1/8th and the bike fired right up.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Mine is the black case. I should've looked closer at the battery before I left the store with it. I have no complaints on the performance of my duracell, just where it is made.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine is the black case. I should've looked closer at the battery before I left the store with it. I have no complaints on the performance of my duracell, just where it is made.
A friend of mine bought one yesterday, a black one. Supposedly the sales guy told him both the black and gray are made in US. I seriously question that, why would they make 2 different color cases? That just doesn't make sense and why, on BP+ website, do they show gray being US made but not the black one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts