Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did a Dyno run yesterday- here are the results. All engine mods listed in my signature below.

The main result I wanted was to smooth out the power delivery and engine, and of course any power gains possible, both of which were achieved. But better than that, I ended up with more power than my buddy who I did the dyno with (he has an Hammer 8 Ball)- so all in all a very satisfying result...hahaha

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah- no baffles. Would that would cause the dip?

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Yeah- no baffles. Would that would cause the dip?
mate, thats quite a slump, specially in torque, which is what drives these beasts.
Id suspect pipes, my dyno man here on the Gold Coast does return visits for fine tuning for $50 a throw, after the initial $400 setup tune.
If you've got that sort of deal going you can afford to experiment.
If not it can get very expensive....
Other alternative is the 'real world' of the drag strip, if you have a local track that has test n tunes you can gauge your performance changes by your timeslips, I'm sure HC will back me up there..
Initially though its nice to have it as good as possible on the dyno, that's why I hope your bloke can be approached for cheaper 'fine tuning' sessions...
First thing Id try is slipping the baffles back in, check out my dyno graph with Freedom Performance pipes and there's no slump at all and over 100 ft/lb from 2500rpm .
I note your graphs show the bottom bar ar road speed not revs, though there is a direct correlation we have to guess as to the revs.
It looks to me however like your motor is slumping where it should be at its best though.
As to your oil question I'm about to ring Penrite, as if I can get better protection from going to their full synthetic Aussie oil then I will , as long as my clutch wont suffer from going full synth
I'm quite happy with their semi synth but I'm open-minded to any improvement that wont jeopardise my motors integrity.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'd put the baffles back in. The freedom pipes have a good rep for making good power, not the opposite.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
mate, thats quite a slump, specially in torque, which is what drives these beasts.
Id suspect pipes, my dyno man here on the Gold Coast does return visits for fine tuning for $50 a throw, after the initial $400 setup tune.
If you've got that sort of deal going you can afford to experiment.
If not it can get very expensive....
Other alternative is the 'real world' of the drag strip, if you have a local track that has test n tunes you can gauge your performance changes by your timeslips, I'm sure HC will back me up there..
Initially though its nice to have it as good as possible on the dyno, that's why I hope your bloke can be approached for cheaper 'fine tuning' sessions...
First thing Id try is slipping the baffles back in, check out my dyno graph with Freedom Performance pipes and there's no slump at all and over 100 ft/lb from 2500rpm .
I note your graphs show the bottom bar ar road speed not revs, though there is a direct correlation we have to guess as to the revs.
It looks to me however like your motor is slumping where it should be at its best though.
As to your oil question I'm about to ring Penrite, as if I can get better protection from going to their full synthetic Aussie oil then I will , as long as my clutch wont suffer from going full synth
I'm quite happy with their semi synth but I'm open-minded to any improvement that wont jeopardise my motors integrity.
Thanks MBX- good points. Yeah my bad on the speed as oppsed to RPMs- updated graphs attached with RPMS
And great about Penrite

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd put the baffles back in. The freedom pipes have a good rep for making good power, not the opposite.
Thanks Jackpot- actually I dont have them- it's a long and painful story. Do you know what sports baffles fit these pipes?

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Just read your mods Kris (probably shouldve before answering)
I see you have the same pipes as me (have you de-baffled them?..if so it must be fucking LOUD, cos mines fairly raunchy as they come!)
If so Id definitly re-baffle your pipes.
Also you have hotter cams I see, that will take away that super low down grunt that mine has in the Torque dept....a bit anyway...though one wouldnt expect that much of a slump, more of a flatline till it gets on the cams (look at other 'cammed' graphs.
An engines performance is the sum of all the mods and how well they work with each other....Id say theres a mis-match there somewhere and easiest thing to do is put your baffles in...( my 100 cube has a strong fat Torque curve from 2250 to 4250 where it dips under 100 ft/lb...it holds 108 ft lb from 2750 to 3500.....
Admittedly its not as 'ballsy' up top as a 'cammed' bike but my bike rarely sees the sort of revs the cams excell in (maybe uif I had em Id use em but realistically Im over the moon with my 'lowdown grunt'....if I wanted to cruise the stratosphere I woulda kept my GPZ900R
Slip them baffles in and I reckon youll pull that Torque back up somewhat which will also bring your HP back up too, realistically where you need it.
Ive rang Penrite and talked to Lorraine in the tech dept specifically about M/C oil and our Victorys, but Ill relate my findings in that thread, basically Im gonna can the Lucas and even though thier Penrite semi-synth is adequate I'm gonna try the Full Synth as she echoed all Rodhotters sentiments re Synth oil.
Maybe call Penrite tech Dept direct yourself for total peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MBX- yeah mate, long story; I got pinged by the EPA, so I had the baffles packed more, then once I passed EPA I couldnt stand it so easiest thing was to cut the baffles out- couldnt unpack them and I didnt expect them to sound that ****. So no they are fully open, sound very raw, but are awesome.
I'll see what Jackpot says about new baffles that will fit.
Awesome about Penrite- thanks mate.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
EPA!...jesus yer in NSW not California!....
well Id say thats where all yr torques gone for sure.
My Freedom Performance slash pipes are fantastic with no slump and sound fat.
my computers slow as, specially on this site (phones only slightly better than useless on it)... and I got work to do here so Ill throw my ten cents worth in the Oil Degradation war later on.
Well worth talking direct to Penrite tech , they really know oils and Aussie conditions, and how hard we ride:)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Honestly Kris, if I were you I'd contact Freedom. I'm fairly certain that they have a quieter baffling option that you get to reinstall in your pipes. Also, not really sure what the baffles in your pipes really had to do with EPA, apparently, they don't realize that baffles don't control emissions??? Either way, moving on. You can also just measure your pipes for diameter and contact big city thunder or one of their distributors, they should be able to book you up with baffles.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks Jackpot- yeah I'll contact Freedom.
The EPA here controls "noise pollution" as well, which is what I got done for- and that was the Freedoms Slash pipes with baffles in. So if I can put baffles back in I'll be a lot more careful about where I ring it- I got done in a swanky part of Sydney with hard ass cops- not real smart of me.

·
Registered
185 Posts
will post mine when i get a chance...bike is definately running smoother since dyno...cheers

Kris's bike goes faster cause it is red..:ltr::ltr::ltr::ltr:

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
That'd be great thanks Dazza :D

I cant recall if you had the midway drop that I have?

·
Registered
185 Posts
be interested in forum feedback..i probably rarely go over 4-4.5k rpm, so reasonably happy...

2 into 1 victory exhaust...given engines are basically the same (i know each one is individual..cheers) and similar upgrades..interested in feedback re results.

i also believe results were gained in 4th gear as per instructions for victory to power commander dealers..

not sure where rev limiter cuts in..

Anyway...bike running well after run...after about 40km on highway run getting 4.9L per 100KM..not that i am worried about economy..
cheerscheersthumb up:ltr:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Kris, seeing you're already grinding a hole through your Freedom's headers, maybe it's time for a set of over the top routed Octanes? :)

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I would love those pipes MC- they're the same as what Hape has, and Modgma too I think.

Do you know if they're baffled?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I think they have "hour glass" baffles. Pretty much just a constriction. Not sure what the volume would be like but yeah they look great wrapped.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts