Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the dyne today. I've been itching to see what if any gains I've made with PCV/Auto tune and the Lloydz top filter.
I'm a little disappointed. Based on Lloydz stock dyne run I've picked 6 hp and torque is about the same the curve is much better much flatter and mostly above 100. The reason why I'm a little disappointed is he has a dyne run stock exhaust VIP and VFC which is about what I have and He shows 100 hp and 100 ftlb's. I'm beginning to think that run is miss identified. There's a comparison of my run and another Vic Performance exhaust Cat's removed, Ness top filter and PCV.
On a side note anyone have a suggestion for a good A/F ratio for power? MPG is no object.
48-106-Vision3.jpg
Dyno run .jpg
Dyno run comparison.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
Victory motors like fuel, even 13.2:1 is fine. Cruise at 13.8.

Your graphs you show are STD correction factor. You will notice Lloydz curves are SAE correction factor. There can be quite a difference right there, as SAE reads lower in most cases.

The curves look great though....

·
Registered
520 Posts
Half Crazy has been there with this many times and knows his stuff. I have also read on the forums that the Vic's like it in the 13.3 to 13.7 range.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Went to the dyne today. I've been itching to see what if any gains I've made with PCV/Auto tune and the Lloydz top filter.
I'm a little disappointed. Based on Lloydz stock dyne run I've picked 6 hp and torque is about the same the curve is much better much flatter and mostly above 100. The reason why I'm a little disappointed is he has a dyne run stock exhaust VIP and VFC which is about what I have and He shows 100 hp and 100 ftlb's. I'm beginning to think that run is miss identified. There's a comparison of my run and another Vic Performance exhaust Cat's removed, Ness top filter and PCV.
On a side note anyone have a suggestion for a good A/F ratio for power?
Charts are interesting, but you fail to mention the only important thing. How does it run?

If it runs great, how could you be disappointed? Or are you saying it runs poorly?

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
If it runs great, how could you be disappointed?
Yeah...

Two things:
1) Phuck auto-tune. Have someone who knows what they're doing tune the thing. Auto tune will never match a good tuner with a dyno.

2) If you're chasing numbers for "bar stool power", that's one thing... but if you want real-world power... and you wanna go hunting for V-Rods, M109Rs, and Rocket IIIs... what you're gonna need is more CUBIC DOLLARS.

It's that simple.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand this thing is a glorified moped, but still some of us do things to get a little more umph. I'm disappointed in the umph factor. The bike runs great, always did.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actualy, for this year Ness came out with some slip ons and thunder cones. They may be interesting. Lloydz will be coming out with something in the spring. The only thing is I'm comming off a Duc with full Arrows I told my DEAR wife this bike would be quiter.

·
Registered
236 Posts
And should you run in to a Rocket 3 that Bob Carpenter has touched...you should surrender before you do something stupid like rev your engine
...over 240 rear wheel horsepower and almost 200 ft/lbs of torque at the rear wheel

results

9.21 seconds at 152.5 in the quarter mile...pump gas

I HAVE GOT TO GET ME ONE OF THESE!!!!

Yeah...

Two things:
1) Phuck auto-tune. Have someone who knows what they're doing tune the thing. Auto tune will never match a good tuner with a dyno.

2) If you're chasing numbers for "bar stool power", that's one thing... but if you want real-world power... and you wanna go hunting for V-Rods, M109Rs, and Rocket IIIs... what you're gonna need is more CUBIC DOLLARS.

It's that simple.

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
And should you run in to a Rocket 3 that Bob Carpenter has touched...you should surrender before you do something stupid like rev your engine
...over 240 rear wheel horsepower and almost 200 ft/lbs of torque at the rear wheel

results
9.21 seconds at 152.5 in the quarter mile...pump gas
There are bikes with 1/2 the displacement and NO boost or nitrous that will go quicker than that.

Turbos, Superchargers, and Nitrous systems are cheating... especially when you already have 2300ccs.

If you push enough boost or spray enough nitrous in a stock 1973 Pinto station wagon it'll run 11s... once or twice...

Fast? You want Fast? This guy can't keep the front wheel down at 200 MPH.

·
Registered
526 Posts
There are bikes with 1/2 the displacement and NO boost or nitrous that will go quicker than that.

Turbos, Superchargers, and Nitrous systems are cheating... especially when you already have 2300ccs.

If you push enough boost or spray enough nitrous in a stock 1973 Pinto station wagon it'll run 11s... once or twice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ4F1WZB2Gw
:crzy::crzy:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Your missing my point, a busa is a sport bike, a race replica liter bike is a sport bike, the Triumph is a cruiser with big cubes no different then a Jackpot 106, Hammer, Cross Country or other Victorys.

You would pull up next to a guy in a rocket (even bone stock) with your 116 making 130/130 and get your clock cleaned. What Bob Carpenter does is motor work, no different then what Lloyds is doing...port the heads, higher c/r pistons, cam swap,exhaust, raise the rev limiter...same exact stuff

no turbo, no nitrous, no supercharger.

Carpenter has always been all motor in everthing he builds and has dominiated the highways with more roll on power, stop light wars and drag strips for many decades.

http://www.carpenterracing.com/sbp_TRIII.htm
The team at Carpenter took the head and applied their signature CNC porting. They then mated it with a custom-ground, aggressive cam, titanium retainers, shim-under tappets and specialized springs. Custom-designed forged aluminum pistons keep the same weight as stock units to retain proper balance but raise the compression to 11.4:1. New clutch springs and a higher volume fuel pump round out the package.

The results are impressive. With stock valves the bike produced an incredible 230+ horsepower to the rear wheel.

“This thing is so strong, at 700 pounds you don’t need 1st gear,” Carpenter said of the prototype machine. “All we basically did was put more fuel in it and let it rev up. The limiter comes in at 5,800 rpm. We had ours up to 9,000.”

“Nobody is beating our Hayabusa's and 1000’s,” he continued. “And nobody is going to beat this bike. We think the Triumph, even with all its mass, will be a contender. We think this bike will give the Hayabusa a run for its money.”

Since then Carpenter tweaked the head-cam-piston package to reliably pump out over 240 horsepower. We have also added an entry-level package of just the head and cam work without the pistons that produces over 210 horsepower.

We have also produced a stainless steel exhaust system for the Rocket III

240+rwhp package
Includes:
• CNC Ported Head
• Custom-Ground Proprietary Cam
• Slotted Adjustable Cam Sprockets
• 12 Custom, Shim-Under Tappets
• Custom Titanium Retainers
• Custom Valve Springs
• Custom-Forged, Domed, Semi-Slipper pistons
• Custom Clutch springs

Drive-in, Drive-out
$5,900
Includes labor as well as all required gaskets, oil, filter and plugs
Mapped and dyno'ed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ4F1WZB2Gw

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
If I feel the need to go 200 mph with the front tire off the ground, I'll buy a $199 airplane ticket to Florida, thank you very much.

When I return, I'll have a nice tan and Busa boy will either be planted in the back end of some appliance truck or listening to some Judge's lecture before he loses his license.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had a turbo busa...its in my sig and a crappy vid of me (on the right at the strip) ran mid 8's almost 170 when I had my lock up clutch set for the strip and easy 9.0's all day when it was set up for the street

If I feel the need to go 200 mph with the front tire off the ground, I'll buy a $199 airplane ticket to Florida, thank you very much.

When I return, I'll have a nice tan and Busa boy will either be planted in the back end of some appliance truck or listening to some Judge's lecture before he loses his license.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I had a turbo busa...its in my sig and a crappy vid of me (on the right at the strip) ran mid 8's almost 170 when I had my lock up clutch set for the strip and easy 9.0's all day when it was set up for the street
Glad to see you were enjoying it in its proper venue.

Were you a friend of Super K?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am not quite sure who Super K is/was??? Did he race at New England Dragway or Lebanon Valley?

Glad to see you were enjoying it in its proper venue.

Were you a friend of Super K?

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
the Triumph is a cruiser with big cubes no different then a Jackpot 106, Hammer, Cross Country or other Victorys
Ummmm.... The Rocket III is an inline 3 cylinder, oversquare, water cooled, 140 cubic inch engine.
It's not the same as an undersquare, v-twin, air cooled, 106 cubic inch engine by a longshot. The claim that they are no different is ludicrous.

You would pull up next to a guy in a rocket (even bone stock) with your 116 making 130/130 and get your clock cleaned.
Sorry, no.

Rocket III Roadster weighs around 80 lbs more than my bike and I have it beat by a dozen HP and make the same torque... and I'm at 110", not 116" (spotting the Triumph 30 cubes). The stock Rocket III doesn't scare me none, they run 11.90s. I can do 3 tenths better than that, right here, right now.

With motor work from your boy there, I HOPE the Rocket would be stronger than a V-twin that's 30 inches smaller... it should be... stands to reason.

·
Registered
236 Posts
While you may have come accross a rocket with a novice behind the bars whom may have missed a shift. The fact is there are hundreds upon hundreds of bones stock rocket roadsters running 11.40-11.50's at 116-118mph. This is done by regular guys not a pro rider who weighs in at 140lbs fully suited and not running lap after lap by a magazine in hopes for the holly grail perfect run.

The point is you have a built bike...the same if not more money went into your bike as what Carpenter would charge to build a rocket 3...and you would be left for dead at any stop light,for that matter he could give you a full second head start and real you in like a fish being played by a 5 year old with a snoopy zebco rod and real.

And sorry to burst your bubble a rocket 3 roadster is compared to a vmax, vrod and a hammer by every magazine in the country.

I guess if we all used your way of thinking, the Olympics may as well be cancelled because if one person is taller, that would not be fare, if one is more muscular that would not be fare either....its a running race...run what you brung, put up shut up or go home.

Ummmm.... The Rocket III is an inline 3 cylinder, oversquare, water cooled, 140 cubic inch engine.
It's not the same as an undersquare, v-twin, air cooled, 106 cubic inch engine by a longshot. The claim that they are no different is ludicrous.

Sorry, no.

Rocket III Roadster weighs around 80 lbs more than my bike and I have it beat by a dozen HP and make the same torque... and I'm at 110", not 116" (spotting the Triumph 30 cubes). The stock Rocket III doesn't scare me none, they run 11.90s. I can do 3 tenths better than that, right here, right now.

With motor work from your boy there, I HOPE the Rocket would be stronger than a V-twin that's 30 inches smaller... it should be... stands to reason.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts