Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Electric vehicles have been a curiosity for me since early on. As we see electric cruiser style bikes being developed it becomes more of a reality but they all have the same drawback as the electric cars; range. Toshiba appears to have found a way to fix that with a battery that can recharge in 5 minutes. Imagine a 220 mile range with a stop every 180-200 miles to stretch your legs and let the car/bike recharge in about the same amount of time it takes to fill up and squeegee the windshield now. Even highway rest stops could have these charging stations or maybe emergency charging stations.

Folks; it's starting to look like E-Vehicles, bikes and cars, will go mainstream before the next USA Presidential election. This will change everything. A while back I was saying we are due for a technology jump forward. This could be it if it's found to be safe and reliable. Plus they are good for 10 years. The US energy needs will make a significant shift from gasoline to electricity. By 2030 gas cars will be outnumbered on the roads. Fossil fuel powered vehicles will likely be limited to pick up trucks and some tractor trailer rigs.

It's entirely plausible gasoline vehicles will be phased out for civilians by 2040 or 2050 at the latest. It sounds like a long time from now but then I remember when the year 2000 sounded like a long time in the future too and now it's almost 18 years ago.

Your thoughts? How soon will motorcycle manufacturers switch to electric? Will motorcycles be the last gas powered vehicles on the road for civilians?

Toshiba's new fast-charging battery could triple the range of electric vehicles

Remember; e-vehicles require hardly any maintenance with tires and brake pads being the most replaced item at just every 50k miles (or more) on cars these days. Bikes; more often.Long term ownership costs will be very low. No worrying about gas going bad in the tank or carb. No cables to lube or adjust; just a throttle rheostat. Just a belt possibly and bearings. I wonder if they will put some kind of sound making device on e-vehicles going slower than 40 mph so pedestrians can hear them coming...

State and Federal governments will be crying for more tax money they lose from gas and diesel to fix the roads. This might offset the savings from e-vehicles vs fossil fuel vehicles.How will this affect our electric needs at home? Will these battery banks be in most homes charging up during low need times then used during the day to heat and cool; the biggest energy users? Will advanced tech solar arrays recharge these batteries making every home nearly energy independent at some point?This would take the pressure off electric companies to produce the added needs.

Yep; could very well change everything. The bottleneck would likely be cost and availability of raw materials to make these batteries.

Maybe Victory orphans will soon have lots of company...

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think for electric vehicles to really become mainstream, the technology will have to progress to the point where making the decision to own/drive an electric vehicle doesn't force you into a position of compromise. I think the technology is really neat, and look forward to where it achieves some parity with gasoline. I have been fortunate to demo a couple of electric bikes, and they are a lot of fun to ride. But the range is just a showstopper for me. Too much compromise. I will be interested in how this tech develops, for sure. I could definitely see electric being an alternative if they improve battery tech to where it makes more sense.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Off the topic, I have always looked into a way to take my house off the grid, solar and wind are my only choices out my way for power, but Geo thermal I can do for the heating and cooling.

I think it might be a big chunk up front, but the cost down the long run should actually put money back in my pocket hopefully within five to seven years. Once the house is 100% paid off I am looking into it a lot more in depth.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Bbob, I am watching this issue and the autonomous car thing too, with great concern. The current issue of Car and Driver magazine lends 31 pages, broken into a few articles, to it with the question; Is driving going to be dead? The last of those articles uses the music we listened to vs the music today's teens listen to as an analogy for what is happening with cars.
Countries such as England and Germany have mandated fossil fuel burners out by 2030. In the States, Congress is dealing with laws concerning autonomous vehicles. Its looking like we enthusiast drivers/riders are eventually going to be looked upon as we see the Neanderthals.
I take pleasure in the fact that my generation has experienced the best there was to be had in popular music and as a motoring enthusiast. I was reminded of that last night - I took Pretty Wife out to dinner and they had a satellite radio station piped in that played soft jazz and it was playing the old standards I heard throughout my years. You know, the songs you could understand the lyrics to and the melodies that you hummed or whistled when they came to mind. And now I am just an analog man in a digital world. Still have a flip phone, camera, laptop, radio and a TV fed by an antenna.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Another gorilla in the room is car sharing. Its becoming the popular thing especially in cities and negates the need to own a car. Even the mfrs are tooling up to supply vehicles for this agenda. In Portland, you see several brands of shared cars parked all over town, only to be used when one absolutely has the need to transport their body. Otherwise, they contact their 2,000 closest friends via their phones.
When we were teens, we NEEDED that car to go see our friends, but today's teens no longer have to do that as they are already in contact with them virtually, and that seems to be sufficient for them. Consequently, fewer teens (and those in their twenties) bother to get drivers' licenses. As a result, bike and car mfrs are scrambling to come up with models that appeal to those millennials. Even the staid Toyota Camry, the darling of the Geritol set, has gotten the Star Wars treatment in order to draw in younger customers. Then there are all the 250 -350 cc bikes that have popped up on the scene to entice the youngsters. Its a changing world out there and its changing faster than I can keep up - as if I wanted to.

·
12,984 Posts
I hope I'm around to get a electric car. I think it would be a lot of fun. Now I have ridden my bike several times and shut off the motor just to see what it would be like if it was electric. No noise just wind rushing around my ears. To think of all the companies that will be lost if they perfect the electric bikes.
I'm guessing the government is working on a sound that all the electric thing would have to make.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
All this is happening in the name of preventing the climate from changing. They are peeing on our heads and telling us its raining.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Everyone tells me that I was born in the wrong century, everyone says I should have been born around 1850 somewhere on the east side of the Rockies. I would do anything to move out west and go off the grid, seems to be easier for other people it seems and not so much for me, I see all these 'bloggers' that start up a patreon page and then it takes off with over 5000 followers. I bet if I tried that all I would get is crickets.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Off the topic, I have always looked into a way to take my house off the grid, solar and wind are my only choices out my way for power, but Geo thermal I can do for the heating and cooling.

I think it might be a big chunk up front, but the cost down the long run should actually put money back in my pocket hopefully within five to seven years. Once the house is 100% paid off I am looking into it a lot more in depth.
A woman who used to share my bike and bed and lives a few hours away out bush as we say here.
She was totally off the grid, had her place on 100 acres set up well.
Her battery and solar setup cost 20K
Then she had a special fridge and we pumped water from the creek when it didnt rain.

As for batteries they were extra deep cycle lead acid type.

Types ussd in electric vehicles and such now use Cobalt wbich is farmed in shocking conditions by almost slave labour....google that and show it to the geenies.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a bit of a unique look from others regarding the electric vehicle revolution. My wife has a chevy volt... I LOVE that thing. I think if anyone tried one they would love it too... it's got 50 some mile range on electric AND a gas engine for longer trips. IF the car had a 200 mile range and a 5 min charge cycle I would gladly get rid of the gas engine part. My wife comes home every day and plugs in the car. That costs me about a dollar a day to charge it. She can go weeks now w/out having to have the gas engine run. IF/WHEN batteries get cheaper and charging is quicker/more available you will see gas engines DIE. It's a superior technology to gas engines.. they last longer.. require far less repair and maintenance and are just more convenient. I"ll miss the roar of ICE engines, especially on my bikes.. but electric is the way to go. If you don't think gas is killing us.. please go start up your car and close the door to the garage... let us know how that goes. I mean.. it's all fake news right? It can't hurt you!

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Types used in electric vehicles and such now use Cobalt which is farmed in shocking conditions by almost slave labour....google that and show it to the greenies.
Very true MBX; that's why the salt-based batteries are such a hopeful technology. Salt is everywhere; even our own bodies. No need to use child labor to mine it.

If you don't think gas is killing us.. please go start up your car and close the door to the garage... let us know how that goes
Copy that katiff. The fumes will kill the human body in a closed environment. Good thing for us the world is massive and has a natural ability to clean those pollutants from the air and the CO2 in it feeds plant life to make them grow faster and fuller.

Take a look at any congested city with lots of cars and notice the cloud of bad air hanging over it to see what happens when there are more pollutants in the air than the natural cleaning can happen. Living in AZ we sometimes get the air pollution L.A. makes when the onshore wind becomes strong enough to blow it over the mountains and into AZ. Fortunately it disperses after a day or so usually and it then cleaned naturally over a larger non-human congested area. Gotta luv nature. It's even kind enough to blow the pollution away for those in L.A. where just living there and breathing is like smoking a pack of cigarettes a day.

Your point is well taken though and as long as the production of the batteries doesn't put out an equal amount of pollution as a car over 8-10 years; it will be a positive for the air we breathe; particularly in cities.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Hey kaitiff, just curious - what's powering the generators that supply the grid with the electricity that charges those car batteries? Coal? Gas? FYI - what's coming out of car exhausts today is less than 1% of what came out not too long ago. Get behind a pre catalytic converter car and you're eyes will water from the exhaust. I give the car mfrs kudos for spending billions of dollars and the man-hours it took to achieve what they have toward a more complete combustion process.
Re Los Angeles; That is a unique situation in that you have a huge population and very heavy traffic in a bowl. I used to live near Torrance and flew a light plane out of that airport. When I got over 500 feet, I could look over to LA and see only the tops of taller buildings sticking up above the opaque, grey smog. Yet, the areas surround the LA basin were clear.
One more question kaitiff...Would you have purchased that Volt if us taxpayers hadn't given you $7500+ for doing it? Just curious.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Would I have bought the Volt w/out the 7500 back? Probably not... it was a pretty expensive car. If we're going to go after subsidies that people get tho.. how about all the subsidies paid out to the oil industry from the gov't? Oil companies post some of the highest grossing profits per quarter of any industry known to history and they are still getting subsidized and tax breaks from the gov't? Hmm.

As for power generation for the electric.. at least SOME of that power is coming from nuclear, wind solar and hydro-electric. Personally if I knew for sure I'd be in my house for any length of time going forward I'd already have a solar rig on my roof and a powerwall type battery in the basement. IF we weren't trying to prop up a broken-ass industry like coal and gas through fracking maybe the cost of solar and wind for the home could get some of that money and assistance and our failing electric grid could get a little love, or at least have some of the pressure taken off it. I know several people now that are basically free of the power company using their own battery and solar system... pretty nice not to have to worry about brownouts/blackouts and paying an electric bill.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Read your article.. and although somewhat stilted it's not wrong. Our current infrastructure for liquid fuels could and should continue to be used, just not with petroleum oil based fuels. One of the coolest side effects of a thorium reactor based power plant is the extreme heat it generates.. heat that could easily be put to use creating methanol based fuels from C02 and water.. even making clean potable water from sea water. There are good alternatives to both gas and diesel based economies that do not require us to keep burning fossil fuels.

Anyway, at least for my personal use I don't need to go to a gas station or charging station to drive the car... I plug it in once a day and that's enough to do 99% of what we need for transportation. That's why I like the Volt.. if I need more I have a gas engine to fall back on, for trips or what have you. With better more efficient batteries enabling more distance, faster charging and less infrastructure they'll be able to make cars that can do even more without a gas engine backup, or have a much more efficient design the the ones in use today.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It is inevitable there will be battery power and the market place has been bringing the changes although at high subsidies in many cases. I think Elon Musk is the most subsidized individual in history.

Something has to create the power to re charge batteries and right now in this country it is coal and gas. Nuclear was admonished when I was in College in mid 70s and worked at a Nuclear Power Construction site. After 3.9 billion spent they changed it to coal and/or gas. Non have been built since I believe.

I read quite a few years ago that by building just 1000 square miles of solar collectors in the New Mexico Desert we could power the entire nation. That has not happened yet. One is not going to build it in Ohio. There is no sun here.

If we can come to terms with fossil free energy at silly cheap prices it could set the world free and unleash our true potential. There are powers that be that do not want this to happen and they are formidable. Now if this does succeed what will happen to our ever expanding world population when the crops do not get enough CO2? Guess we will just hope for more volcanic burps. Maybe that will be enough.

My biggest suggestion is two fold. Let us get going on a Dyson Sphere which is way way beyond our ability and maybe always will be. Number two is right at our hands. There is or are civilizations that here right now. They fly these craft that can be as small as a grapefruit orb ( I saw one from one foot away in 1995 just outside of Grayling, Michigan. ) to craft that are bigger than aircraft carriers in our atmosphere right now. Their flight can defy our laws of physics at hyper sonic speeds while doing right angle turns. Other times they stop overhead or just coast along making no noise. Ask Fife Symington ( then governor of Arizona ) what he witnessed in 1997 during the famous Phoenix Lights episode. Evidently they have some energy source that allows this to happen. It just maybe gravity waves and amplifying these waves. Maybe it is time for the powers that be to quit denying this, or even address it and try to make contact with them for the betterment of humanity. Open up Area 51 and other bases in Utah to find out what you guys have been keeping from us since at least Roswell.

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If we're going to go after subsidies that people get tho.. how about all the subsidies paid out to the oil industry from the gov't? Oil companies post some of the highest grossing profits per quarter of any industry known to history and they are still getting subsidized and tax breaks from the gov't?
How much more do you think a gallon of gas or diesel would cost if they didn't get that subsidy. Also; the oil companies employ as many people as a small country who all pay taxes from their good paychecks which return those subsidies back into the general fund.

One hand washes the other. It's disingenuous to simply look at one part of a larger picture and claim one entity is a bad guy somehow. The fact is America runs on fossil fuels. The amount of energy created by wind and solar is still ridiculously small.

The need is mutual.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
How much more do you think a gallon of gas or diesel would cost if they didn't get that subsidy. Also; the oil companies employ as many people as a small country who all pay taxes from their good paychecks which return those subsidies back into the general fund.

One hand washes the other. It's disingenuous to simply look at one part of a larger picture and claim one entity is a bad guy somehow. The fact is America runs on fossil fuels. The amount of energy created by wind and solar is still ridiculously small.

The need is mutual.
Change is indeed afoot. Google will be able to run 100% on solar and wind by the end of this year. I imagine they use quite a bit of power. From the article:
...as recently as 2015 Google alone reportedly consumed as much energy as the entire city of San Francisco...
https://www.inverse.com/article/37308-google-renewable-energy-goal

1 - 20 of 74 Posts