Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying this aftermarket part the E-Z assist clutch arm,but i am a little confused.I read some threads and seems like some guys like it and others are having clutch problems.Have you bouhgt one and what was your experience with it,any info would be great!! Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
You HAVE to be very precise with clutch adjustment. There is a fine line between the clutch dragging with the lever pulled in and not completely engaging when you let the lever out.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Please understand the mechanics of what this device does.

It reduces the amount of "felt" clutch pull by increasing the leverage. It accomplishes this by lengthening the arm at the clutch shaft. The increased leverage reduces the pull. Now here is the RUB. For the Clutch lever shaft to rotate the same amount to fully operate the clutch, the end of the arm (where the cable attaches) must travel further. Unfortunately it does not and cannot travel further because you have no additional stroke up at the clutch lever on the handlebars. So while you are reducing the "felt" pull force you are also reducing the amount of engagement/disengagement of the clutch.

Like Half Crazy said, you would need to be very precise in your adjustments, but IMHO there is not enough "fine line" adjustment of the cable to allow the clutch to function properly. That is why you are hearing of cases where guys are experiencing Clutch issues way before they should in normal operating and wear conditions.

Like has been said before, if it was possible to "engineer" a lighter clutch pull, I would think the excellent motorcycle design engineers would have done it already. Victory is not the only motorcycle with stiff feeling clutches. People have been complaining about it forever on many many brands and models. The problem is there are physical conditions to deal with: Only so much travel at the clutch lever at the grips, so you are only pulling the cable for a limited distance. The clutch shaft needs to rotate a certain amount to properly work the clutch. To obtain the needed rotation amount, the length of the arm is defined.

The way most designers overcome the "stiff" clutch feel is to go with a Hydraulic clutch system. However, some of those Hydraulic systems can feel stiff too:crzy:

Sorry for the long winded response, just adding my .02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts