Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

E15 Gasoline

4K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  BBob 
#1 ·
Well; Trump has okay'd E15 to be sold year round. It was banned during the Summer which had the effect of keeping stations from stocking it since it will require pump changes and modification.

For us who ride motorcycles this is especially bad news. Motorcycles and all small gas engines are not compatible with E15. It takes 4 gallons of non E15 gas to dilute leftover E15 in the hose to not harm cars made before 2007 and smaller engines like in bikes.

Ethanol does nothing for the environment because any possible benefit is offset by lower gas mileage per gallon. It's a lose lose for the general public. The only people who benefit from this garbage gasoline is the farmers who grow the corn and I believe they can be taken care of in better ways than to pay them to destroy our bikes, lawnmowers, boat, jet ski, snowmobile, four-wheeler, etc.

Also the farmers are not growing other food so the cost of grain and corn as feed is more expensive making meat more expensive to us since it's more profitable for the farmers to sell their corn to the ethanol makers.

As everyone knows, I generally agree with this President, but not on this. Never on this. The greater good is not being served in this case.

Four Things to Know About E15

Trump lifts year-round ethanol restrictions, could lower gas prices

Note: I didn't put this in the politics section because it's bigger than just politics IMHO. Plus not everyone reads that section for obvious reasons.

See less See more
#3 ·
you blokes are getting shafted by your government for sure, its plain to see that.
You are correct on that score. It seems more and more, we are made out to be second class citizens in our own country. Ethanol does not meet any of the promises they make about it, and even a Conservative president caves in to the farm / environment lobbies who get huge subsidies. Ethanol would not exist without those subsidies. The only beneficiaries of ethanol are the growers, the processors and the transporters. The rest of us get screwed out of tax dollars and fuel mileage.

#4 ·
Burning a country's food supply for fuel is a terrible situation.

Reactions: BenD and RoteBaron
#5 ·
That's what we pay taxes for, so farmers can get huge subsidies to grow crap corn that should not even be fed to animals.

#6 · (Edited)
Yeah and its not like you are short of oil reserves.
Is it REALLY that hard to get good quality gasoline over there?
Every fuel station here has top octane unleaded available , its around $1.70 a litre but
e10 is $1.35-$1.55 a litre depending on where you fill up.
No e15 here yet but it will..
as an aside theres guys with mega horsepower car engines running E85 by choice, setting their engines and fuel systems up to run it

Reactions: RICZ
#9 ·
Note that N. American differs from most of the rest of the world in how the octane rating is calculated. N. America uses the (R+M)/2 method whereas other places use other options (e.g. RON or MON). The exact same gallon of gasoline will have different octane ratings in different parts of the world as a result of this.

#11 ·
Premium is not E15. A few states premium is legally not allowed to have any ethanol at all.

We have one gas station that sells E15. It's rare. Separate pumps. Clearly marked. Just as stated on the linked website. Older gas stations can't change. They don't have enough tanks and going all E15 would send customers down the street. Same reason E85 has never taken off. I only know of one location where I can buy that too.

#12 ·
I live around a few lakes and because of that most mom & pop and some major gas stations carry non-ethanol fuel which I use in all my 2-stroke lawn equipment and my 73 Kawi enduro. Funny thing with my XR is that it gets less mpg's when using 100% gas than it does with 10% ethanol blend. I keep detailed spread sheets on gas mileage for all my vehicles (yes, I have an OCD problem) and since I bought my XR new in 2012 the 100% gas fill ups have been 2-3 mpg's lower than the ethanol blend.

#15 ·
Not all pumps are calibrated equally either. The people who check such things don't do it very often; maybe once or twice a year so the owner could calibrate it to show you're getting a gallon but in reality you're getting 9/10ths of a gallon. Crooks everywhere. They drop the price a few cents lower than their competitors to get the business but the people are getting short changed. Happens all the time. The only way to tell for sure is to have a one gallon jug for gas, pre-mark it where one gallon comes up to, then take it to the station and fill it up to that mark. If he's cheating; go on Facebook like everyone else and report him to the community. If you really want to clean house; do the same thing to every station in the general area.

#16 ·
The MPG discussion is interesting, from both political and energy standpoints.

Not to take away from that, but I'm not very concerned with mileage; I am concerned with separation and varnish and rotting hoses and seals and that sort of thing, especially on devices that -- unlike most modern vehicles -- were not designed for pretty much any level of ethanol. For my portable containers for the lawnmower, snowblower, and weed whacker, I always fill them up with non-ethanol gas, and finish off with a dash of StarTron on top of the gas in the containers. I do the same thing for whatever bike I've owned over the years, when filling up near the end of the riding season.

For the US and Canada, there's a nice, free, phone app called Pure Gas (their web site is https://www.pure-gas.org/), to locate the nearest station selling E-0. In the northeast NY area, most of the Stewarts chain started selling E-0 a few years back. Before that, for me assorted Pitstop stations were the go-to places.

#17 ·
Sea Foam Engine Treatment - 12 Pack (16 oz) MILSF16-12PK
Fuel Additives & Treatments
3 product ratings
Condition:New
Quantity:
10 available
116 sold / See feedback
Price:US $86.28 Buy It Now -
Add to cart - I'll be buying in these bulk quantities.

#21 ·
A very unlikely pairing due to the E15 being sold in the Summer months plan.

Oil industry and environmentalists tag teaming Trump on ethanol

We all know what the relationship between environmental activists and the oil and gas industry is like. It’s an endless series of demands that we stop using fossil fuels. Reduce emissions. Keep It In The Ground! You know the story. So is there anything that can bring these two, diametrically opposed groups together? Turns out there is, and it’s the EPA’s decision (vocally supported by President Trump) to allow year-round sales of E15 ethanol-blended gasoline.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.