Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but didn't see this topic..

It's soooooooooo much nicer with ear plugs. I imagine 'some' helmet out there is so quiet that you don't need them, don't know. My Shoei isn't.

I use the 'Max Lite' by Howard Leight, MRR30 rating, I get em in the box of 200.

They transform the riding experience... it is very tiring for me on long rides to have the constant din of wind noise.

I imagine it's bad on your hearing as well, that has to be some high decibels.

Any thoughts?

:cool:

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I searched but didn't see this topic..

It's soooooooooo much nicer with ear plugs. I imagine 'some' helmet out there is so quiet that you don't need them, don't know. My Shoei isn't.

I use the 'Max Lite' by Howard Leight, MRR30 rating, I get em in the box of 200.

They transform the riding experience... it is very tiring for me on long rides to have the constant din of wind noise.

I imagine it's bad on your hearing as well, that has to be some high decibels.

Any thoughts?

:cool:
If I'm going on the expressway at all I wear them, I wear a brain bucket, not a full face and sometimes my ears ring for hours after high speed riding for any length of time without them... I cant imagine its good for your hearing.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I usually use them when the wife is complaining.....

·
Registered
450 Posts
I wear them when on the highway but not around town. I use the foam ones provided by the Army. Yes, it is authorized and encouraged to use the ones they provide while participating in high noise off-duty activities.

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
I wear them when on the highway but not around town.
Same here, but I have the custom formed plugs. I prefer them over the foam and don't mind spending the extra coin. I only have two ears and they need to last. I use them at the range as well. All day comfort.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I always wear ear buds, which do great at reducing the noise. I don't play music through 'em unless I'm on the highway for long stretches, never in the city.

On a side note, years back I took my truck down to Ohio, 5 hours one way. It's got a Cummins motor with 5" straight piped exhaust, and the radio happened to be out for that trip. When I got home I didn't have ringing, but swear I heard my truck running for a few hours afterwards, like auditory hallucinations :D It was a very strange experience, heh.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
My daughter is an Audiologist who owns her own clinic and I have learned a lot about ears and hearing from her. There are a lot of wives tales (to be kind) out there about your hearing. She sez her clients are younger than before on average and that comes as no surprise to this septuagenarian observer.
The problem with foam earplugs is that they go in differently every time, so the attenuation varies dramatically. Best are custom musician style earplugs with changeable filters to adjust attenuation. They are molded to fit your ears and go in the same with every application, so they are very consistent in their performance.
Tinnitus is an indication that hearing loss is occurring and is usually caused be long time exposure to high decibel levels. That causes hearing loss because there are hair-like devices in your ears that move with sounds, like grass in the wind, converting that movement into auditory signals--to oversimplify. The more they move, the more brittle they become and start breaking off at the tips, decreasing your hearing ability and making it difficult to discern vowels, consequently confusing words for other words.
I'm in my high 70s and yes, I do have some hearing loss due to not using ear protection in those years before my daughter became an Audiologist. You are probably a lot younger than me and have more time to do what it takes to preserve your hearing. That's not only using earplugs, but also taking note of the volumes at which you listen to your music. Oh, take those earplugs to concerts.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
My Shoei isn't.
Probably too big for you. You been wearing it awhile?

I always found Shoeis were quiet enough when riding naked.

Anyway, nowadays I do use earplugs in a sense. I stick earbuds in my ears and blast the XM and MP3s on 10. Probably no better for my hearing, but I like it better than listening to the wind whistling by for hours on end.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I do on long highway rides. Almost a necessity. Really cuts down on the fatigue.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Anyway, nowadays I do use earplugs in a sense. I stick earbuds in my ears and blast the XM and MP3s on 10. Probably no better for my hearing, but I like it better than listening to the wind whistling by for hours on end.
Let me know if and when you are going to be near Tacoma, WA and I'll intoduce you to my Audiologist daughter, prolly good for a break on those $5,000 hearing aids. :D

·
Registered
265 Posts
I do wear plugs 90% of the time and I also ride with a full face Shoei. I already have some hearing loss so I want to keep what I have left. For me, it makes wind noise nearly nonexistent and I am still able to hear my headset and it doesn't need to go beyond 7 to hear clearly.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
407 Posts
I wear ear plugs on all longer rides.
Makes it easier for me to have conversations with the voices in my head.:crzy:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wear custom molded ear plugs and a full face Shoei helmet. I can clearly hear Pandora radio and talk on the phone through my Sena SMH-10. The ear plugs really make the loud exhaust sound from other motorcycles tolerable.

·
Registered
57 Posts
On long rides I do. Custom moulded plugs with drivers built in, so I can listen to tunes or not, brilliant units, saved my ears from deafness by wind for sure!

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
la.jpg all the time, any wind noise over 30 miles an hour with out a helmet is bad. I have hearing loss wearing them all the time in a factory for over 30 years . Highly recommend unless your like the ringing sound in your ears all the time ..

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Who
Zeppelin
Blue Cheer
Molly Hatchett
REO
King Crimson
Ramones

piledrivers
earthmovers
gen sets
tractors
Detroit Diesels
90 pound jackhammers

Wife
Kids
Grandkids

Pop is just happy to still be able to hear the sound of a motorcycle taking me away.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have previously worn ear plugs every time I knew I was going to ride at anything other than residential speeds. With the XCT, the pocket of air is free from noisy turbulence, so I have not been wearing them.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Let me know if and when you are going to be near Tacoma, WA and I'll intoduce you to my Audiologist daughter, prolly good for a break on those $5,000 hearing aids. :D
My ears only gotta out live my heart, lungs, and liver. I'm betting on my ears!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts