Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The recommended service is every 5000 miles...
But, my thought was to do the first 2 (not counting initial 500, that got knocked out first weekend:)) at 3000 and 4000, as a way to break her in.

Good idea? Or just a waste of money by doing those first couple services early?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Why would you go 2500 (500 to 3000) and do a second oil change then turn around and do it again in 1000? If you are comfortable with the 5000 interval and money to throw around then change your interval to 3000 or 3500.

In short -- waste of money!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I change mine after every ride... LOL

Seriously, The recommended intervals are pretty conservative to begin with and are really determined on what kind of oil and filter you use, how hard the bike is ridden, and what kind of weather it's ridden in. I use full synthetic oil and a standard filter and I ride year round. My change intervals vary from every 3000 miles when we have a HOT ambient temperature summer like this year with temps reaching into the triple digits... to 7000 even 10,000 miles when all the planets align properly. I base this on 48 years of riding and have never abused an engine, primary, or transmission... I can pull the dipstick and taste when it's time for a change...LOL

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ammo, I was speaking in terms of intervals, not total miles on the odometer...

HH, that was well put... My thought being that I'm still "breaking" in the transmision, and it's been a HOT summer, hard riding, and commuter riding, that I would service it w/ 3k since the last service. Then 4k after that will take me through winter and spring.

thanks for the feedback...

·
13,043 Posts
If you do some checking I think NAPA auto parts can send your oil off for analyzing. You can ask if your changing to soon ar when should you change.

For me I use amsoil on my 08 vision and change at 5 thousand. I do know riders the change sooner when we ride in 100 degree temps.
I don't do much city riding so I don't think my oil breaks down as fast as guys who get stuck in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Waste of money is so subjective! If it's something you want to do, then I don't consider it a waste. My wife disagrees with how I view things though...

Having fresh(er) oil is never bad (well maybe bad for the environment), but as you've already seen from the responses, exactly when it "needs" to be changed can be debated. With that said, the manufacturers recommendation is a good starting point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts