Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ears:
I don’t wear plugs when riding but should. I was at the gym this week and listening to music but one of my ear buds did not work. I had it in right ear so tried it in the left ear. I immediately noticed sound was louder… I chalk it up to my bikes pipes doing a number on my right ear.

Eyes:
I always wear protection! Plus! My bike shield comes up to about nose level so I feel okay there but most of my eye glasses may not sustain a well-placed flying rock or piece of gravel so I have some concern there.

Nose:
I have spent a lifetime in the sun(for play not work) and not always with nose sunblock. I do try to put some on end of my nose when I ride but I do have a spot there that needs to be checked out.

We all know what to do but we all do not always do what’s right when it comes to riding. So, in my older years, my best intentions will most likely mean some hearing loss on top of what would have been normal and dermal surgery/grafts… nose, neck, and arms.
There is risk to do what we enjoy and I understand this. cheersthumb up

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I too have seriously degraded hearing from riding but in my case it wasn't the pipes it was the wind. I bought the quietest helmets I could find and it was still a problem. My riding is all highway and most times I could hardly hear the pipes. Funny thing is I wear the earplugs now because it stops the heightened problems after a ride. Too little too late.

Wear them. The older you will thank you.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
If your ears "ring" after riding, that's hearing loss you're experiencing and it does not come back. Use earplugs that will be effective enough to prevent the ringing to protect your hearing.
Re skin exposed to the sun; As a cancer patient, I have seen the result of skin cancer and it's ugly and many times deadly. You can't ride a motorcycle when you're dead.
Too often I see riders trying to look cool, but to me, it just looks dumb stupid. Be smart and live.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
My wife keeps telling me I need to get my hearing checked ... she thinks I need a hearing aid.

I keep telling her that she thinks part of what she thinks she says and only articulates part of it.

and then the battle starts.... LOL

And thankfully I have mastered the art of Selective Hearing over the years!

·
13,239 Posts
Its not the exhaust thats running your hearing its the wind.
While riding the exhaust noise is behind you.
Been using custom ear plugs for 10 years and very seldom ride with out them and long rides there a must

·
Registered
418 Posts
I had hearing damage and partial hearing loss before I started riding, the wind is the cause of hearing damage when riding unless you have crazy loud pipes the exit at your leg. My full highway days I run a full helmet even though I don't like it. I do not ride with ear plugs because I don't like the loosing the ability to hear and with my damage the better the ear plugs work the more tinnitus I have, total silence is unbearable for me.

Eyes, I've got a bad one of those, genetic defect, I wear safety rated glasses when I can get them and I've taken a stone/object to the lens already and was very glad to have had them on. Even with a full face I wear glasses under so I have protection if I decide I need the visor opened a bit.

Skin, yeah, I'm bad about that. My wife is on my case a lot about it and if she is lathering up I will too. I have a vented jacket but I'm bad about wearing it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The wife and I get into this every now and then. I ALWAYS wear ear plugs on the bike. Didn't use to but started to when I started riding on the track and got used to it so now I wear them everywhere. She never wears them, says they're uncomfortable. I've given her the wind noise at 60mph speech but she doesn't care. Funny how she gets on my case to wear eye/ear protection and a respirator whenever I'm painting/grinding/etc. and was very nervous about me welding until I told her I had all the gloves, apron, helmet, and so on but when I tell her to take better care of herself she blows me off. It's a continuing battle. Part of me is always tempted to let her do whatever she wants and be smugly satisfied later when she's blind, deaf, and has skin that looks like a catchers mitt (she never puts on sunblock unless I harass her either) but the rest of me knows that I'm going to feel horrible if she gets to that point so I keep trying.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The wife and I get into this every now and then. I ALWAYS wear ear plugs on the bike. Didn't use to but started to when I started riding on the track and got used to it so now I wear them everywhere. She never wears them, says they're uncomfortable. I've given her the wind noise at 60mph speech but she doesn't care. Funny how she gets on my case to wear eye/ear protection and a respirator whenever I'm painting/grinding/etc. and was very nervous about me welding until I told her I had all the gloves, apron, helmet, and so on but when I tell her to take better care of herself she blows me off. It's a continuing battle. Part of me is always tempted to let her do whatever she wants and be smugly satisfied later when she's blind, deaf, and has skin that looks like a catchers mitt (she never puts on sunblock unless I harass her either) but the rest of me knows that I'm going to feel horrible if she gets to that point so I keep trying.
Ahhhh yes, I can relate. My wife has no hesitations about telling me how to look after myself, what I should do about this or that, blah blah ... she has a need to "mother" me ... but when the shoe is on the other foot ... LOOK OUT! ... I've learned just to keep my mouth shut and my ears deaf LOL

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been using custom ear plugs for 10 years and very seldom ride with out them and long rides there a must
I have tinnitus... self diagnosed and have had it for years. I have to sleep with plugs because u-no-who snores and always beats me going to sleep first. :eek: I have plugs in all day with music to drown out the conversations outside my cubicle. :crzy:

I want freedom when I ride and if I could, would ride nekkid as a jaybird. Don't even like the helmet but still do it. :ltr:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have tinnitus... self diagnosed and have had it for years. I have to sleep with plugs because u-no-who snores and always beats me going to sleep first. :eek: I have plugs in all day with music to drown out the conversations outside my cubicle. :crzy:

I want freedom when I ride and if I could, would ride nekkid as a jaybird. Don't even like the helmet but still do it. :ltr:
Get your U know who some Breathrite strips. They help a lot so I am told by my U know who. :D

Try a set of musicians earplugs. Etomyic 20's is what I was using until I bought a Schuberth helmet. They work really well ans still allow you to hear normal speech. I now have to wear foam 23NNR earplugs because the ear sockets are shallow in a Schberth helmet.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get your U know who some Breathrite strips. They help a lot so I am told by my U know who. :D

Try a set of musicians earplugs. Etomyic 20's is what I was using until I bought a Schuberth helmet. They work really well ans still allow you to hear normal speech. I now have to wear foam 23NNR earplugs because the ear sockets are shallow in a Schberth helmet.
I do the breathrite strips... I can't make u know who do nuthin! :D

I use foam plugs from wally mart... but haven't been able to find them lately.

I don't want to lose my hearing so gonna start trying to use them riding. As I type this, both ears are ringing. Gotten so used to it, hardly notice anymore.

·
Registered
169 Posts
this is all common sense...I can't believe people don't get this.
when I wear my german style lid, the wind noise is horrible, but my pipes are insanely loud when on the bike.
Installed HID headlight last night and took a brief run up the street and my pipes had my right ear ringing...no way would I ride like this every day

changed to a skullcap lid there is virtually no wind noise.

I wear earbuds with a bit of music to plug my ears from the wind and my pipes and a bandana to cover my face.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Reactions: king4wd

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
this is all common sense...I can't believe people don't get this.

my pipes are insanely loud when on the bike.

my pipes had my right ear ringing...no way would I ride like this every day
What I don't "get" is why ppl put on insanely loud pipes and then have to wear ear plugs or whatever to muffle the sound. To me, that is not common sense and I can't believe ppl don't get that .... :confused: ;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
What I don't "get" is why ppl put on insanely loud pipes and then have to wear ear plugs or whatever to muffle the sound. To me, that is not common sense and I can't believe ppl don't get that .... :confused: ;)
because I don't like riding a bike that sounds like a sewing machine, obviously...and if you read my post, you would see that I initially wore earplugs for the wind, not the pipes...my hearing is insanely sensitive, I'd like to not go deaf from something as simple as wind noise. oh, and loud pipes save lives, duh cheers

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
because I don't like riding a bike that sounds like a sewing machine, obviously...and if you read my post, you would see that I initially wore earplugs for the wind, not the pipes...my hearing is insanely sensitive, I'd like to not go deaf from something as simple as wind noise. oh, and loud pipes save lives, duh cheers

I also have insanely sensitive hearing (look up Misophonia) and tinnitus. With the Misophonia, I'm looking forward to losing my hearing. Love loud music, loud pipes, and lots of wind.

With the eyes, Nike sunglasses and my windscreen does just fine.

Skin....the wife and I both always wear sunblock.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
636 Posts
My wife keeps telling me I need to get my hearing checked ... she thinks I need a hearing aid.

I keep telling her that she thinks part of what she thinks she says and only articulates part of it.

and then the battle starts.... LOL

And thankfully I have mastered the art of Selective Hearing over the years!
Here... try this.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but do you realize that what you heard isn’t exactly what I mean?:ltr:

·
Registered
636 Posts
I saw a guy in Salmon Arm the other day riding with NO eye protection using an open face helmet. No ear protection either. I almost fell off my bike. WOW.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hearing protection,,,,,,,,,,,,,what,huh,,,,,,,,,,:crzy:

Enough of that. I wear plugs at work, while riding, mowing, weed eating, well you get it. I work with a whole bunch of folks that can't understand why I wear ear plugs in the TV room. Simple, I can hear.
Eye and skin protection, yep. I learned it later as times have changed. Didn't take but one melanoma cancer to set the point home, and it wasn't mine. I did see the grief the guy had and the long and invasive procedures and chemo. Not pretty.
Eyes, enough said. You can't ride blind or dead so think about it. Freedom isn't free.

I work as a Remote Paramedic, and under a very expanded scope. We can do a lot of things we couldn't as a street jockey. See a lot too. Not pretty either.

Take care of yourself, you are worth it. Oh Dill, take a trip to Academy, Gander Mt, etc and look in the shooting section. I find the 26db triple flanged ear plugs very soft, comfortable, and easy to manage. They cut the background noise and let you hear the important stuff. Finding what works is worth the effort. Just saying.

cheers

1 - 20 of 84 Posts