Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most of us I've been wanting better exhaust sound out of my stock XC(damn, I wanted it to sound like a big V-twin should....) but have been hard pressed to come up with enough play money to fund a new exhaust or even mufflers. Also I am under strict orders from my wife not to make the Vic as loud and annoying as my HD was... I have been pouring over the threads on DIY exhaust mods and de-baffling but do not have the tools or skills to tackle that job correctly. Last night I had a brainstorm while looking at a pic of a gutted XC baffle...Essentially the end plate(or entire baffle) is being removed to un-restrict the exhaust flow. I reasoned that opening up the end-plate would have the same effect and could actually be tuned to a desired sound level by how many holes were punched in it. This morning I took the bags and end caps off, then started drilling the end-plate. I'd punch a few holes, start the bike and listen. Even after the first few holes I could tell I was on track.....it was sounding right. I drilled more and opened the holes, until I was satisfied with the sound. I hit the ends with some high heat black to prevent rust from starting, then put the caps back on.

I rode it for about 150 miles and wow! too me the new sound completely changes the personality of the XC. Its got a nice idle thump, a great decel. rumble and growls more than ever under throttle....best of all there is no "drone sound" at speed, I can still clearly hear the radio and wind. The wife should be happy....

This is very simple to do, the mufflers do not even have to be removed from the bike. The only tools needed are a power drill, various bit sizes and a 10mm wrench or socket.

Here are some pics at the start and painted finish. Hopefully, the vids will post(although they do no justice to the real world sound). First is the stock pipes then completed with the caps on.

Vids:
stock
http://s181.photobucket.com/user/Mikepain_pics/media/2013 Victory Cross Country/exhaust/P6280003.mp4.html

modded
http://s181.photobucket.com/user/Mikepain_pics/media/2013 Victory Cross Country/exhaust/P6280014.mp4.html

**As for tuning, I have no comment on how or if this mod will effect a stock tuned bike, I have a Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro installed with the air dam out, after a few miles everything seemed to settle in and it pulls like a bear. Can't wait to change over to a high flow air filter.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
looks like you've nailed it!..........errr I mean drilled:)

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I have a set of pipes where I essentially did the same thing.

Now, I've cut them apart and removed the inner tubes and plates. I was going to stuff Thrush glasspacks in there, but I was wondering about just welding the end caps back on without the glasspacks. I didn't cut off the outlet pipe or anything and would wonder what this sounds like. I just need a welder!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a set of pipes where I essentially did the same thing.

Now, I've cut them apart and removed the inner tubes and plates. I was going to stuff Thrush glasspacks in there, but I was wondering about just welding the end caps back on without the glasspacks. I didn't cut off the outlet pipe or anything and would wonder what this sounds like. I just need a welder!
I'm not sure what sound you're after.....I wouldn't qualify this mod as making the Vic "loud", it is not at all. The modded sound is much better in my opinion, I am very happy to now sound like a V-Twin not a sewing machine.

If you want to hear it, I'm meeting some friends for an afternoon ride tomorrow(Sunday) ~12:30 at the Double Tree Hotel in Bristol, you're welcome to come.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Yea, I'm definitely not after "loud".

Thanks for the invite, but I won't be able to make it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a question. I'm assuming my mufflers are OEM, they don't have any baffles in the tubes, I can see straight thru. Is this correct? They aren't loud at all. Purchased the bike used so I don't know what if anything has been done other than what I've modded. Thanks in advance..

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
There aren't any screen-type or spiral-type baffles in CrossCountry mufflers. The gasses are routed around and through a series of tubes before exiting.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a question. I'm assuming my mufflers are OEM, they don't have any baffles in the tubes, I can see straight thru. Is this correct? They aren't loud at all. Purchased the bike used so I don't know what if anything has been done other than what I've modded. Thanks in advance..
Here's a pic of the XC baffling. The end plate has been cut and the baffle slid out. This is the pic that gave me the brainstorm to drill the end to plate. With holes in the end plate the exhaust can flow more freely out instead of being recirculated and baffled inside the muffler. Worked like a charm ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
So, what are my mufflers? Mine have a single tube all the way from the front to the back with perfs. They don't seem to have any baffling or a series of tubes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
So, what are my mufflers? Mine have a single tube all the way from the front to the back with perfs. They don't seem to have any baffling or a series of tubes.
Hard to say what yours are with out seeing them, but they are not oem. What is the inside diameter of the tube?

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Do you still have the stock tips? Wouldn't the heat cause them to turn blue?
I did the same thing with the stock tips. They did not turn blue, but any rain or moisture would definitely dry and crystallize and make it harder to clean.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Bujee,
I drilled four 3/4" holes in my backplates plus cut off 1/2 off the length of the tailpipes about 10,000 miles ago and have no discoloration on the tips.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I spent the weekend riding around and I am completely happy with the the way this turned out, it nailed the sound and sound level I was aiming for. I absolutely love this Vic but the "swing machine" sound needed to go :)
With the Cobra Fi2000 dialing-in there definitely is a performance increase. Several times I thought I was rolling on in 4th when I was actually 5th....the bike is starting to really "breathe" now, all I need is a high flow air filter.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Awesome sauce. Now, it's time for a video ;)
I want to get a high-flow filter for mine, then I am done (with the exception of experimenting with my mufflers).

·
Registered
298 Posts
To really improve the flow a little you need to open the inlet of the mufflers as well. On the inlet side there are 3 tubes leading into the body of the muffler. I took a long 1/4" bit and drilled 2 holes between each of these tubes, being careful to stay close to the outside wall of the muffler and NOT drill thru the center. Very happy with the results:)

·
Registered
418 Posts
On mine I trimmed the pipe end back to eliminate seeing it coming out of the tip and to use the tip as a resonator. Worked like a champ, deepened the sound a bit and to me looks better.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Yep, I tried that. I couldn't believe how just trimming that pipe improved the sound (I have 3 sets of stock mufflers just for playing around with). I cut off like three inches or so.

I have since taken them off and put the 'quiet' stockers back on, and I'll see what other sounds I can get...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts