Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put EBC's on over the winter on the front(replaced my second set of OEM pads) and noticed how loud they were on the test ride. Seen on here others talking about the noise so didn't think much of it. Put a couple hundred miles on the ol' XR today and the damn pad noise is starting to get on my nerves. Is this common for EBC's? Will the noise ever get less noticeable? If the noise stays the same then I will probably put a different set on this coming winter.

·
Registered
483 Posts
They are loud but it has never bothered me. I can't hear them over my pipes and tunes. I do like how they perform but I go through them kinda quick. I've adopted engine braking after needing new pads with the past two tires changes. I'm hoping that saves my pads. Now that I've started I find I really love engine braking. It used to be more of an emergency type thing for me but now I use it every time.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
I have used EBC HH for many years and never experienced them making noise. Did you transfer the radiators onto the baking plates? Very important that its there. Sanding and beveling them prior to installing is a big help. Sanding is done laying sandpaper on a flat surface and rubbing the pads on it about half a dozen strokes, then dust them off. Beveling is angling the leading edges so they are not square.
It's also wise to clean the discs with brake cleaner or alcohol when installing the new pads.

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Used them for years and years and never noticed added noise.

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Put EBC's on over the winter on the front(replaced my second set of OEM pads) and noticed how loud they were on the test ride. Seen on here others talking about the noise so didn't think much of it. Put a couple hundred miles on the ol' XR today and the damn pad noise is starting to get on my nerves. Is this common for EBC's? Will the noise ever get less noticeable? If the noise stays the same then I will probably put a different set on this coming winter.
Yes, EBC are very good, but a bit noisy at low speed, thats why i changed to Lyndalls ... No noise

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, lots of different responses ranging form no noise to lots of noise! Mine are very loud when coming to a stop from faster speeds and less to no noise at slow speeds. The noise kinda reminds me of a bunch of cicadas if that analogy makes sense.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have used EBC HH for many years and never experienced them making noise. Did you transfer the radiators onto the baking plates? Very important that its there. Sanding and beveling them prior to installing is a big help. Sanding is done laying sandpaper on a flat surface and rubbing the pads on it about half a dozen strokes, then dust them off. Beveling is angling the leading edges so they are not square.
It's also wise to clean the discs with brake cleaner or alcohol when installing the new pads.
Ricz, I am not sure what the "radiator" is but I did transfer the backing plate to the OEM pads. This is not my first time replacing pads on my XR, replaced once already with OEM pads with no problems. I did clean the disc with brake cleaner prior to install. I have never sanded a new pair of discs in my life (done dozens of brake pad changes in my life) with no adverse problems but will keep it in mind next time.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Put EBC's on over the winter on the front(replaced my second set of OEM pads) and noticed how loud they were on the test ride. Seen on here others talking about the noise so didn't think much of it. ...snip........... Will the noise ever get less noticeable? .
Good chance it will, although they are generally more noisy than stock. Brake pads must coat the disk with their compound before they operate properly. That's why it is important to break them in properly. It speeds up the process. The transference of material will happen either way so give them sometime and see how they sound in a 1000 miles or so .

·
Registered
367 Posts
I had put the Lyndalls on my front last winter and I get a noise I can only describe as hearing bugs in the grass on a hot summers night. What is it with brake pads making bug sounds. I don't mind the sound too much as summer is short hear in Canada. My OEM pads never made a sound.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Andre,
What differences did you notice when you switched from EBC HH to Lyndalls?

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Andre,
What differences did you notice when you switched from EBC HH to Lyndalls?
ON MY JACKPOT SINGLE FRONT DISK ....

1, EBC the last meter stop in front of a traffic light it makes a irritating sound, squiqie like a chalk over a blackboard kinda sound, especially in the rain, and a small vibration, people even look at you , of cource on the road i hear nothing coz of the wind, or there is no sound, .... As far as i remember .

2, EBC are 2x better then stock brake pads

3, Lyndalls are just that "bit" better then EBC, so thats WORTH it for me to use them.

4, lyndalls NO sound exept the hot air in the rotor disk holes escaping, so that is neglectable for me...

5. Stock brake pads give soooooo much dust after a 3 day ride, that cannot be healthy for you aperantly people living next to a highway get more alzheimer coz of the diskbrake dust of cars ....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
12,984 Posts
Not trying to be mean. But do you think your hearing the sound cause you change them. All so are your rotors loose on the buttons.
The reason you sand pads is to get the glazing off them. I learned that on old drum brakes working at a dealer

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Not trying to be mean. But do you think your hearing the sound cause you change them. All so are your rotors loose on the buttons.
The reason you sand pads is to get the glazing off them. I learned that on old drum brakes working at a dealer
I never sand my pads, i just "brake them in"

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Sound of stopping-shorter

EBC on my XR make noise each set I have put on. Just think of it as the sound of how much shorter your bike can now stop over the stock pads. My first set on my 2011 XR front factory pads were kind of wooden feeling and did not stop good. I believe Victory changed the front ones over the years of production, I may be incorrect on this. I do know that my bike stops much better with the EBC on it. Oh yes and 56,000+ miles and the stock rear pads are still good.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Oh yes and 56,000+ miles and the stock rear pads are still good.
56K!?! That's nuts!

I only have 35K on my 13 and I'm on my third set of pads. The more I see numbers like this and others getting great mileage on tires the more I realize how aggressive I must ride.

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
16k kilometer on my front EBC and they were GONE ..... Hahahahaj

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
321 Posts
Swapping out my rear tire to a new Avon 72 I decided to also check brake pad depth thinking I would need to R+R the stock pads and get to try out the EBC HH. Nope. Using my tire tread depth gauge to measure pads I'm at 3mm thickness.
Guess I am just toooo smoooth and not using much brakes up... LOL... Even on my Chevy PU with near 100K I am still on OEM brake pads.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
The rear pads should outlast the fronts by a country mile (didn't know any other thing to say). Most braking is done with the fronts. I use the rear for hard stops and trail braking only, so they last almost forever.
Like SemperVee, my cage brakes last over 100K miles too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts