Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
13,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not right down mileage when I installed the front EBC pads and looking to day they look about shot.
I looked on the net for how thick they are when new with no luck.
With my digital caliper I could not get it any wear near to measure how thick they are now.
So with some thinking I came up taking a drill bit and finding out what will fit between the rotor and the metal back on the pads.
Came up with 3.17 mm so I have some left to go I guess.

So if you need to measure like me don't for get drill bit. It would work for the rear to.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
I did not right down mileage when I installed the front EBC pads and looking to day they look about shot.
With my digital caliper I could not get it any wear near to measure how thick they are now.
So with some thinking I came up taking a drill bit and finding out what will fit between the rotor and the metal back on the pads.

So if you need to measure like me don't for get drill bit. It would work for the rear to.
Thats a handy tip thanks Johnny,
It can be difficult to visually measure brake pads and not knowing how thick they were to start with yeah well some bikes dont have a lot of pad thickness to start with.
Same with tyres, modern wide hi tech rubbber hasn't got very deep tread.

·
Registered
851 Posts
How do the ebc brakes compare to the factory brakes?
HUGE difference in performance. However some people don't like them because the do make noise when you apply your brakes. It sounds like crickets. I live in a rural area so I didn't even notice it at first since I thought it was crickets :rolleyes:

However, for me, dealing with the noise is a small price to pay for the massive improvement in braking performance.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
HUGE difference in performance. However some people don't like them because the do make noise when you apply your brakes. It sounds like crickets. I live in a rural area so I didn't even notice it at first since I thought it was crickets :rolleyes:

However, for me, dealing with the noise is a small price to pay for the massive improvement in braking performance.
Ditto, just put them on and as Tony the Tiger says, "They're Grrrreat!"

·
Registered
511 Posts
A simple way to measure how thick your brake pads are is to use a metric allen wrench.

The allen wrench is small enough to fit down to the pad while on the bike and you get a good reading on how much pad you have left.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts

I installed a set of EBC HH pads on Friday on the front of my Vision. The packaging said to replace them at 2 mm. If you have over 3 mm they are almost brand new. I did not measure but thought that 2 mm meant I would be replacing them with at last half the material remaining.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
ebc vs stock pads

i used HH ebc pads with my ebc rotors when i did a dual disc on my 13 hammer, factory pads are HH rated as well, dual disc made a big improvement! on the rear i just installed ebc rotor to match + ebc organic pads to slow the braking because the hammer's too big tire don't have enough weight on to stick well. my upgraded pirelli night dragon helped a bit being sticker than the longer lasting dunlop's. EBC's stuff is less $$$ than OE for sure!

·
Registered
611 Posts
I installed a set of EBC HH pads on Friday on the front of my Vision. The packaging said to replace them at 2 mm. If you have over 3 mm they are almost brand new. I did not measure but thought that 2 mm meant I would be replacing them with at last half the material remaining.
Don't ask me why because I honestly don't know but in my experience brake pads tend to lose a significant amount of grip once they reach the 50% mark. I replace pads at or just before they get there.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I'm about due. Anyone have experience with Lyndall pads?

·
13,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lyndall pads are very good. I think the only reason EBC is so popular is cause they were found first and no one looked any farther.
Check the web there are some good buys out there

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Brake pads on my Vegas are getting down a bit, looked on ebay locally Lyndall carbon/kevlar for Aus $ 56.99....
only front Lyndalls says fits Vision only! (they different?)

Metal Gear rear sintered $39.95 // Front sintered $39.95

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Did you try the Lyndalls? if so what are they like?
No sir, I havnt even looked at my bike since I last posted on this thread. Been traveling and the weather here is ****. Thunder storms all afternoon into night for almost 2 weeks now. today is supposed to be better but Honey wants to go boating.

When I get to changing them I will most likely use the Lyndall pads. When I do I will post on there performance. Might be a while. If you are in need of pads don't hesitate on the Lyndalls. Heard they were the best.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Just wondering if the lyndalls are worth twice the price as the ebc's. I don't mind to spend the money if they give me better performance. Just had a friend that had a warped rotor on his Harley but wanted to reuse the pads after he replaced it because they were $50:confused:. Same guy will spend over $100 at the bar tonight thothumb up.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I've run OEM's; EBC's and Lyndall's. IMHO the extra money for the Lyndalls are well worth it. Have ECB's on my '11' Pin right now only because of $$$. Lyndalls may be worth the money, but if you ain't got it, you ain't got it. Deep discounts on EBC's on eBay. Lyndalls hold same price everywhere.

That being said, WHY do I think the Lyndalls are worth it???

1. Braking performance. Honestly, I haven't found anything that comes close (and still rotor friendly). This includes stopping; wet stopping and lack of fade when hot.

2. Damn things just don't make much dust. Don't have to clean wheels as often.

3. They last at least double of other pads for me. Same bike. Same riding style. Same roads. Change out OEM's and ECB's after a long riding season. Lyndall's lasted me 2+ before change.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I've run OEM's; EBC's and Lyndall's. IMHO the extra money for the Lyndalls are well worth it. Have ECB's on my '11' Pin right now only because of $$$. Lyndalls may be worth the money, but if you ain't got it, you ain't got it. Deep discounts on EBC's on eBay. Lyndalls hold same price everywhere.

1. Braking performance. Honestly, I haven't found anything that comes close (and still rotor friendly). This includes stopping; wet stopping and lack of fade when hot.

3. They last at least double of other pads for me. Same bike. Same riding style. Same roads. Change out OEM's and ECB's after a long riding season. Lyndall's lasted me 2+ before change.
Saved me a lot of typing .. +1 Been using Lyndalls since changed the OEM's out at 12,500 .. Didn't have to change again until 30,000 and only then because was doing the Tires anyway and had a Road Trip coming up ..

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts

ok Lyndalls it is then!...cant find a listing for the fronts for my 2010 Vegas though...theres a front listing that says VISION ONLY
They must be unique are they?...anyone got a part number for the front pads ?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Lyndall brake pads

I went from OEM pads to Lyndall Golds ..... So can't make fair comparison between EBC and Lyndalls .....

But will concur with what posted about improvements I have experienced.

They allow me to stop with much better authority and confidence.

Much less brake dust.

Rear brake most noticeably improved for me. With the OEMs I always felt like the rear only never slowed me down like I thought it should....

For me ....the few dollars more are well worth the improvements.

Got mine thru Lloydz ...whom I believe gets thru Conquest Customs...
Price is the same either way....

Peter

·
Registered
427 Posts
Lyndalls it is then. I've only got 4100 on my bike but can't take the stock tires/brakes any longer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts