Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never been really impressed with the initial "bite" on my XC brakes. Certainly not as good as some of my other bikes, incluging my last RoadGlide, which had dual Brembos. Not suggesting the XC brakes are inferior, or don't work, just the initial bite always seemed a little soft.

I was originially surprised at how much better my buddy's Vision was, untill 1) I realized the Vision's brakes are linked, and 2) they are way bigger, maybe 50-70%:confused: Not sure why, the Vision is a little heavier, but they are both heavy.

Anyway, I tried the EBC pads (front only) and broke them in on the freeway yesterday. Really surprised (and pleased) at the difference. Almost feels like new brakesthumb up The cost was maybe $80, I got mine from NOEMZ (sp?) on this forum.

·
Premium Member
13,314 Posts
Good to know Greg. I've already bought the rear pads in expectation of needing to replace them soon but they've been holding up surprisingly well. I guess Victory changed who they got the pads through or something because they are lasting longer than earlier models have been reported to get.

I use this source for the EBC brakes but I don't want to discourage anyone from using a forum vendor.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Couple of thoughts on Vision brakes VS X bike

Visions are linked only rear to front, and not front to rear. Even then only the center pistons apply on the fronts, and it takes some serious pedal effort to get there

Vision calipers are 2 pot when apllied by the hand lever, and X bikes are 4 pot. So bigger does not mean as much as it would seem

90% of the time I find that adjusting the hand lever to #1 makes the customer MUCH happier with his[her] brakes

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Couple of thoughts on Vision brakes VS X bike

Visions are linked only rear to front, and not front to rear. Even then only the center pistons apply on the fronts, and it takes some serious pedal effort to get there

Vision calipers are 2 pot when apllied by the hand lever, and X bikes are 4 pot. So bigger does not mean as much as it would seem

90% of the time I find that adjusting the hand lever to #1 makes the customer MUCH happier with his[her] brakes
Thx Kevin. If my memory serves, #1 adjusts the lever further away (as compared to a higher number)? I can see this would give more leverage and would help. Unfortunately I have relatively small hands, and have grown accustomed to adjusting the brake lever closer to the grip.

If you read this, could you clarify your comments re: the Vision

" Even then only the center pistons apply on the fronts, and it takes some serious pedal effort to get there"?

Not sure I understood. I gather you only get 4 pistons if you apply the rear as well? I try to apply both front/rear similtaneously, if this is what you meant. Perhaps that is why his felt better?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
OK here is kinda how it works on a Vision.
Under normal aplication front is front and rear is rear
Under any aplication of the fronts. Only the fronts outer 2 pistons are aplied. Remember there is no inner pistons on a Vision caliper. Only outer. So when you just pull the front handle. You have 4 pistons total working, but on an X bike you have 8
Under heavy aplication of the rear. A sprung check ball is un-seated, and aplies pressure to the CENTER piston of the front brakes. Unseating the ball requires either a sharp jab at the pedal or a very hard steady pressure on the pedal

The linked brake set up is really designed to relief pressure to the rear, and avoid lock up. I would guess that under normal riding conditions. You could go through your entire ownership, and never activate the linked portion system.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I have never been really impressed with the initial "bite" on my XC brakes. Certainly not as good as some of my other bikes, incluging my last RoadGlide, which had dual Brembos. Not suggesting the XC brakes are inferior, or don't work, just the initial bite always seemed a little soft.

I was originially surprised at how much better my buddy's Vision was, untill 1) I realized the Vision's brakes are linked, and 2) they are way bigger, maybe 50-70%:confused: Not sure why, the Vision is a little heavier, but they are both heavy.

Anyway, I tried the EBC pads (front only) and broke them in on the freeway yesterday. Really surprised (and pleased) at the difference. Almost feels like new brakesthumb up The cost was maybe $80, I got mine from NOEMZ (sp?) on this forum.
Thanks Greg cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts