Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the FA196HH rear pads on my 2012 xct and it started making a hell of a noise right at the point the bike settles after a complete stop. Not a squeak, but a really loud metal to metal sound.
I called EBC and talked to a tech guy who said if shims were needed they would have included them in the package so remove the OEM shims which I did.

It still makes the same loud noise and now I can't get a return phone call from EBC.

I pulled the new pads and notice what looks like rubbing marks where the pistons touch the Pads, I'm sure thats what making the noise.

Anyone else have this problem and is anyone else installing the OEM shims on aftermarket pads,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I'm confused , in another recent thread , everyone is toting how great these pads are ....:crzy:

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Watching...

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i just installed these on mine, i chamfered the leading edges, but mine didnt have and shims on the rear pads, mine are quiet

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Ostbob, that sound is a high frequency set up between the pad backer and pistons.
Did you notice any thin, perforated sheet metal devices on the backs of the old pads and did you transfer them to the new ones? If you still have the old ones, check to see if they are there and if they are, remove them and put them on the backs of the new ones.
If there were no such shims, get some Brake Quiet and apply it to the backs per the directions.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RICZ
The OEM only had a shim and insulator on the inboard side nothing on the piston side (See Pic of OEM and EBC.) and I have since thrown them away.

NO perforated thin sheet metal on either. Just a solid one and an insulator on the inboard side.

I can't seem to get the EBC tech to return my calls so now I need help from guys like you who have actually used them. But like I said I originally put the shims and insulator on the EBC and had this terrible noise (not a squeak). Removed them and still have the same noise.

When I look at the EBC pads where the piston touch the back it looks almost like the piston dug in or scraped the metal plate but hard to see in the pictures

But your suggestion is to use the OEM shim, insulator pad and a, brake quite lube?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
take a grinder and bevel the leading edge slightly. i use to use duct tape on the back of my brake pads to quiet them.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
+1 on beveling the leading edges. Use the shim OR Brake Quiet, which is a substance that that does not dry hard.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
First time i hear on this forum EBC problems, hope you can fix it

If you trew the OEM shimplates away then +1 on the ductape ... Thanks for posting this and hope you can fix it

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Followed all the advice from you guys, thank You.

Cycle Gear allowed me to exchange the EBC pads for new ones. I installed them allong with the OEM shims, and brake quiet. Glad I only trashed the OEM pads and not the shims and insulator after talking to the EBC Tech who obviously didn't know what he was talking about.

So far its working great but I need to seat the pads some more before I do any hard braking.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Just removed my front OEM pads at 70,000 kms still had meat left in em but.....
Werent very effective at stopping well.
Specially now my rear brakes still making air and has to be bled frequently and cant be relied upon.
I ordered a set of LYNDALL front pads and now I can really feel the difference, for a single disc rotor system she pulls upvreally well from any speed.
Gonna play around with the lever Freeplay/Pressure adjustment wheel today to get a bit more freeplay in the lever to better suit my damaged right hand.
I did give the front caliper pistons a good clean with a quality brake clean spray and a cut down toothbrush prior to pushing them back to fit the new pads.
This is sonething I neglected to do before pushing back the rear brake caliper pistons to fit LYNDALLs pads to the rear 40,000 kms ago, and I hazard a guess this has led to some crap or pitting between the rear piston and its o-ring seals.
Wont know for sure till I tear down the rear caliper next week,
Ive found 3 possible sources of brake caliper o-rings and seals locally, they are not Victory specific parts as Victory dont supply brake rubbers on their own, only in a kit containing new pistons.....this should probably be in my own thread on rear brake problems but its töo late and it does relate.
Clean them pistons before pushing em back folks!

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
EBC pads were in my second spare batch orders, got sick-and-tired cleaning my rims from the stock pads

1 - 13 of 13 Posts