Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what’s up guys, I have a buddy that’s about to get cams installed on his cc. The dealership told him that he wouldn’t need a fuel management system, they will just reflash his ECU. Have you guys ever heard of this.

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts
His dealership is full of hogwash. He will need a tuner and a tune at the bare minimum. A dyno tune if he wants to wring every last bit of good power out of it. If he doesn't have any tuner at all right now (like a PC-V) then tell him about the Maximus. Depending on his air filter, exhaust, and if he has a timing wheel, there are some canned MAPs (tunes) available for the PC-V if he wanted to go that route.

This isn't one of those easy answer questions other than to say there's no point in getting the stage one flash which is all a dealership can legally do.

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
Completely agree with @BBob,

better get the cams done in a GOOD place who understands motorcycles... Surly there is a vic guru in your vicinity ¿

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
If he is doing the S&S kit, it comes with an ECU reflash card.

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts
If he is doing the S&S kit, it comes with an ECU reflash card.
That's a new one on me. Thanks Noe! Do you know if the S&S kit for a 2004 KP comes with a flash card too?

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
The factory only did the reflash cards with the S&S cam kits for the cross country platform bikes only because it came with a specific air dam, filter and a disclaimer stating that tri-oval exhaust was required as part of the complete kit. But triovals also had to be purchased separately.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
And a stage 1 Cross Country (Lloyd air filter, slip-ons, and a Maximus tuner) will make the same power as the "Victory/S&S Stage 2" equipped bike without touching the engine at all.

Add cams to the stage 1 bike and it will leave the "Victory/S&S Stage 2" equipped bike for dead... like it was chained to a post.

1st mistake: Didn't research it.
2nd mistake: Listening to what anyone at a dealership says.
3rd mistake: Trying to take the cheap and easy route, which is always a poor decision. Best results come from doing it once and doing it right... by whatever means necessary... because the worst thing in life is disappointment/regret. Nothing like spending $1000 and then riding the bike thinking, "That's it? A thousand bucks for this?".

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
And a stage 1 Cross Country (Lloyd air filter, slip-ons, and a Maximus tuner) will make the same power as the "Victory/S&S Stage 2" equipped bike without touching the engine at all.

Add cams to the stage 1 bike and it will leave the "Victory/S&S Stage 2" equipped bike for dead... like it was chained to a post.

1st mistake: Didn't research it.
2nd mistake: Listening to what anyone at a dealership says.
3rd mistake: Trying to take the cheap and easy route, which is always a poor decision. Best results come from doing it once and doing it right... by whatever means necessary... because the worst thing in life is disappointment/regret. Nothing like spending $1000 and then riding the bike thinking, "That's it? A thousand bucks for this?".
Wise words HC.... As you know for us at the other side of the world it is even more complicated, so because of the good people of this forum i have planned all the boltons carefully, the only thing that was out of my hands was the exhaust, and that ended up as the top 3 best exhaust .... Only 2 in 1 is better, but who cares....

I hope the OP will do the right thing and get his "friend" to join this forum so he can do it the first time right....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
218 Posts
I was one of those idiots that had the dealership put on the factory authorized S&S with a flash card and pipes. Did it on my 2009 KPT. They screwed that up so bad I ended up having to trade the bike after a year to get an 07 that ran circles around the 09.

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
I was one of those idiots that had the dealership put on the factory authorized S&S with a flash card and pipes. Did it on my 2009 KPT. They screwed that up so bad I ended up having to trade the bike after a year to get an 07 that ran circles around the 09.
You should have come on this forum sooner....

Just kidding, but isn't that BAD, they are convincing customers, milking them.... And actually "cheating" or lying....

The setups we have work, no matter if you have these dollbeck or PC 3 or 5 or Maximus, it's much better then to sell your kingpin and do it all over again.... Sorry to hear that mate....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
218 Posts
Well, back in 09 when I had the damned thing there weren't as many people that had gone through the process, and forums like this weren't as prevalent. When the shop had flashed the ECU with the flash card, they screwed up the connector TO the ECU, they bent a ground pin on it.. and the bike never ran right after that. I can't tell you how many times it was in their shop trying to figure it out. After a year, I gave up and traded it. Wasn't until afterwards that I heard they discovered the bent pin. I even had Lloydz take a look at it in his mobile trailer (back before he sold it) and he told me he couldn't do anything with it w/out tearing it down; something he couldn't do in his mobile at a rally.
I wouldn't have sold it if it was just that it didn't give me enough, I would have gone ahead and done like H_C and others did and finally gotten around to 'doing it right'. My thinking at the time was to get everything done before I rode off on the bike so all of it was under the loan, instead of waiting to get enough money to do it later. At the time, there wasn't a Torque Tube for the 08 and above bikes.. .only the open loop bikes. S&S was one of the better options available at the time.

·
Registered
433 Posts
On some GM transmissions around 2003 there is a 20 pin plug under the throttle. If you get a rebuilt trans and a few months later your door locks are actuating while you are driving down the road you will want to pull the plug, spray contact cleaner. No dealer will fix it for you, transmission shop will not find the problem either.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I also have the S&S cams, but I also have a PCV tuner (got a screaming deal). I sold the air intake scoop and flash card for about $25 shipped :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts