Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
I've read the forums on stators and regulators... and I'm trying to figure out if I have a problem or not. I have had my bike go dead a couple times, but I don't know if I had not had it on a trickle charger enough or it's not charging enough. (I've always kept it on a trickle when I remember).

'01 DX w/original stator and regulator. When I test the battery right after starting it shows 12.5v at 2,000 RPM and 12.8v at 3,000 RPM.

When I test the stator--and I don't know if I'm doing it right--with my multimeter set on 200 VAC i'm getting a reading of 12.8 across any combination of the three terminals. Engine is running at idle (~1k RPM).

I don't know if this means the regulator or Stator is bad--or is this just normal behavior. I suspect 12.8volts DC at 3k RPM is low.

Thoughts?
Mike

·
13,047 Posts
look for a guy here BBob he has service manuals down load so you can load to you computer.
When bike is running at 2000 or more you should be getting around 14 volts to the battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Johnny. I have the parts book, but I appreciate the point out. Sure wish I could find a service manual... But I'm too cheap.

Well took the '01 out for a ride yesterday... The multidisplay showed 12.4 when I started and it slowly dropped to 12.1 before I called it quits. I kept the RPMs up during the ride too.

Ordered an Upgrade kit for about $430... Only other place I found one the wanted well over 500. Sheesh. Guess I'd better swing by the Vic shop for a gasket.

Any hints on using a generic gear puller on this job?

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Folks,
I've read the forums on stators and regulators... and I'm trying to figure out if I have a problem or not. I have had my bike go dead a couple times, but I don't know if I had not had it on a trickle charger enough or it's not charging enough. (I've always kept it on a trickle when I remember).

'01 DX w/original stator and regulator. When I test the battery right after starting it shows 12.5v at 2,000 RPM and 12.8v at 3,000 RPM.

When I test the stator--and I don't know if I'm doing it right--with my multimeter set on 200 VAC i'm getting a reading of 12.8 across any combination of the three terminals. Engine is running at idle (~1k RPM).

I don't know if this means the regulator or Stator is bad--or is this just normal behavior. I suspect 12.8volts DC at 3k RPM is low.

Thoughts?
Mike
Might want to consider a new battery.

If you have a multi-phase alternator (with 3 terminals, I assume you do) and they are all reading the same, It's unlikely any phase is bad. You may want to check them all to ground (bike frame) as well.

Regulator appears to be doing something as your voltage is increasing as the bike spins up the alternator. Voltage should probably be much higher ~14 V (consult your manual). Bad battery is probably loading it down.

Since it's a 12V MC battery, you could always remove the MC battery and jump in your car's battery to test.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts