Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found a 2 wire keyed power source under the seat was wondering if anyone knew what it was for and where to get the connector looking to put a usb outlet in the saddle bag

Attachments

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Could it be the connection for the heated seats on a XCT?

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
That a power source for heated saddles. Its on all Cross bikes. Mating connectors are available at auto parts stores such as O'Reilly's and Autozone.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
There's also a 12VDC switched plug just waiting to be used under the gas tank on the Cross bikes. It's near the front of the tank on the left side as seen from the rider. You can find it by lifting up the front of the tank. If you do this, please be mindful not to stretch the fuel line connection to the fuel pump on the bottom of the Cross bike gas tank.

I used this connection to switch the coil of a relay I installed to operate the Kuryakyn driving lights I added to my CCT a few months ago. The original intention of this switched plug was for the driving lights connection on the Cross Roads. The connection is 'hot' with the key switched on and off with the key is turned off. I don't remember the colors of the wires for the switched plug but I know I mentioned it on the Kuryakyn driving light installation report I posted on this forum.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you i found the connector on amazon so as soon as it gets here we can close up the beast and maybe finally take it for a ride. freezing rain today.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
thank you i found the connector on amazon so as soon as it gets here we can close up the beast and maybe finally take it for a ride. freezing rain today.
You want to be careful when adding a USB port, IMHO, to use a switched power source (as @Chattanooga Mark suggested earlier in this thread).

Because of the internal transformer circuitry, USB ports will draw a small amount of current even when nothing is plugged into them (unlike, say, cigarette-lighter-style sockets). Whether this is enough to drain a battery is a matter of some debate, and, I suppose, depends on how often you use the bike, whether it's on a smart charger when not in use, and so on. I started a thread on this issue a few years back, and there were mixed experiences related.

So, if it were me -- and it was, when I added a USB, when I owned an XCT -- I'd make sure not to have a USB port hot when the bike's off. Just my two cents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts