Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ridden since I was four, I've owned bikes from hyperbikes to touring bikes since I was 16. I ran an MSF school for a while and I've worn out two Goldwings and a Harley. At 53 I now own a 2014 VV and I really like it, a fantastic choice.

But now- Hmmm...this is embarrassing...I guess I am not holding my lips right, I have several times come from a stop in 2nd. I've blown a shift twice and My shifting *sniffle*...well it is sometimes notchy / sometimes smooth. This is embarrasing. I consider good poise on the bike to be a sign of mastery. I visited my doctor, he says: "Sir, you have ESS; Embarrassing Shifting Syndrome."

What to do? Any insight from the 106 cogniscentii? Perhaps you can shed light on what the machine favors from my behavior. Please help my ESS.:confused:

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I've ridden since I was four, I've owned bikes from hyperbikes to touring bikes since I was 16. I ran an MSF school for a while and I've worn out two Goldwings and a Harley. At 53 I now own a 2014 VV and I really like it, a fantastic choice.

But now- Hmmm...this is embarrassing...I guess I am not holding my lips right, I have several times come from a stop in 2nd. I've blown a shift twice and My shifting *sniffle*...well it is sometimes notchy / sometimes smooth. This is embarrasing. I consider good poise on the bike to be a sign of mastery. I visited my doctor, he says: "Sir, you have ESS; Embarrassing Shifting Syndrome."

What to do? Any insight from the 106 cogniscentii? Perhaps you can shed light on what the machine favors from my behavior. Please help my ESS.:confused:
Try preloading the shifter. Once you get used to it, your foot will always be a split of a second quicker than your hand/clutch, and the shifts will be of the smooth type. Also fast and firm shifts are quieter than the slow, unsure ones.

However, when in Neutral, there's no getting away from dropping the hammer in 1st. ;)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Y'know- I really don't follow the logic of hiding the gear indicator when the clutch is pulled in.. I'm not having these issues- I was going to guess that you were accustomed to 5 speeds? Even my dirtbikes were 6 speeds- so that 's just kind of what I expect.

I know I've damn near bruised my toe trying to shift past 5th on my Dad's FJR.. Fast-but very much needing another set of teeth. Takes me a while to get used to riding that when he's around.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
+1 on preloading the shifter for smoother, quieter and more positive shifts. You find that it will slip into gear as soon as the clutch lever enters the friction zone. No need to pull the lever all the way to the grip.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try preloading the shifter. Once you get used to it, your foot will always be a split of a second quicker than your hand/clutch, and the shifts will be of the smooth type. Also fast and firm shifts are quieter than the slow, unsure ones.

However, when in Neutral, there's no getting away from dropping the hammer in 1st. ;)
Sounds like a plan, I'll try it riding home this afternoon.thumb up

·
Registered
784 Posts
Spend some more time with it, you'll figure it out. These are a new critter to me as well. However, it is easy to find a lot of folks that whine about Goldwing and Venture shifting.
Make sure the shifter isn't too high also. Easy to adjust and helped me a lot.
Congrats and cheers.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Shifting insecurity? That usually means your pecker is still growing. Be sure to water it often and once it's done growing your shifting prowess will improve... That, or you could practice shifting...

One other suggestion, make sure the shifter is adjusted right for your foot. You want it just high enough that you can comfortably get your toe under it, that way you will have maximum upward range of motion to pull up on it... and you will have an easier reach to get your foot on top of it when shifting down.

Maybe some ankle strength exercises?

·
13,002 Posts

Give the bike time to break in. Be more postive when shifting. Sounds like your lazy shifting.

·
Premium Member
8,789 Posts
Give the bike time to break in. Be more postive when shifting. Sounds like your lazy shifting.
A lazy upshift into second or third on my 010 Vegas 100/6 will see it dropping back out and at times in third hitting the rev limitet at the same time...very embarrasing!
Blipping to get back into first is a nono too that has had the engine stall on me so I only match revs downchanging in the upper gears, but wonder why it doesnt stall then too?
Yeah on advice from here I tend to preload as well tho the mechanic at Vic in Brissy was horrified when I told him that I preload.
It does get easier with practice tho, and yeah I've now adjusted my shifter closer to my boot.
Even revised my cornering style,

All proof that you can teach an old dawg new tricks!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Get the heel shifter peg to help with upshifting. I normally always find nuetral (easy to do on Vic's) when stopped for a light. Adjust the shifter angle & also the floorboard to fit you. There are 3 presets to move the floorboard position (see your manual).
The tranny is the one downside of a Vic. I am on my second Victory & both got what I call "crunchy" after about 10,000 miles. Just something you have to adapt to get used to preloading the shifter.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
About adjusting the shifter for your boot....
I found that when I lowered the shifter to the point where, when I slide my boot under it, all the slack is taken up. That way, I don't have to lift my foot very far to effect a shift. Its a rare day that I miss a shift and I have the old tranny to boot. No pun intended...or was it?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Remember though, if you move the floorboard you may need to cut or extend your shifter rod, vic engineers arent all that smart and kinda fd up that one!:)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ESS and lazy shifting embarrassment

So the tranny is different for the VV?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I never seem to miss a shift on my '13 Vision. When the bike was brand new I am not sure that was true but I have always used a heel and toe shifter. I installed a Kewlmetal heel shifter the first week I had mine home and have not missed a shift since I got it adjusted right.
http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=667

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
545 Posts
Even when I am racing from stop sign to stop sign... LOL I would never preload my bike shifter. There is no need to if you learn to shift properly... this includes knowing what rpm is right... what gear you are in... and moving the clutch all the way in at point of shift... and moving the shifter lever all the way up or down. Preloading the shifter prewears it out...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a similar issue with my 06 Vegas - I have a hell of a time getting it into neutral. Just wants to pop right by to 1st or 2nd. Annoying when you're trying to park the bike for a sec with the engine running and you're flipping the gears up and down.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Agreed! I have one on order.thumb up
+1 on the heel toe shifter. I had mine installed at the dealers before picking up the bike. Makes it E-Z. thumb up

1 - 20 of 33 Posts