Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 CCT-Rode in some heavy rain today. I noticed when I let the clutch out while changing gears my flashers would come on for about 4 seconds then go out. This happens in every gear. Any ideas why?. When the switch is pushed, are they supposed to come on if the key is in off position? Mine don't but should they? Looks like I will be visiting my dealer soon.Thanks

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
2014 CCT-Rode in some heavy rain today. I noticed when I let the clutch out while changing gears my flashers would come on for about 4 seconds then go out. This happens in every gear. Any ideas why?. When the switch is pushed, are they supposed to come on if the key is in off position? Mine don't but should they? Looks like I will be visiting my dealer soon.Thanks
The flashers won't work with the key off, i.e., that's normal. It might be nice not to have the headlight on, when the bike is on the side of a road and you want the flashers on, but that's not the case.

The relationship of the clutch lever and the flashers is certainly beyond me, and I've never read of it, in about four years of reading the Vic forums.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
i am assuming this only happened in the rain? sounds to me like water or moisture got in there and when you chnaged gears a little more water vibrated on the contacts. if you take it to the dealer have them put dielectric grease on the contacts. there a lot of threads on here about accesories going out to lunch during rain storms. i really think VIC missed the boat on making sure these things are water resistant. anytime i have something apart that exposes a set of contacts.. i get out the ole can i dielectric and gease it up, wether or not it gave me a problem.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
i am assuming this only happened in the rain? sounds to me like water or moisture got in there and when you chnaged gears a little more water vibrated on the contacts. if you take it to the dealer have them put dielectric grease on the contacts. there a lot of threads on here about accesories going out to lunch during rain storms. i really think VIC missed the boat on making sure these things are water resistant. anytime i have something apart that exposes a set of contacts.. i get out the ole can i dielectric and gease it up, wether or not it gave me a problem.
Good info here...I just had my fairing off and packed every connection with dielectric grease so at least I know I'm not being paranoid thumb up , well that and the fact my radio gets possessed by an electron demon in a hard rain. I turn it off before it starts chanting demonic phrases, believe me, the first time it happened I was like WTF...over????

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that on a XC there's basically no protection against water ingress from around the headlight. I'd like to have a conversation with the knucklehead that signed that off during the design phase. We'd have a nice long conversation about the laws of hydraulics and unintended consequences. Jeez louise, his Dad must have worked for Lucas back in the day. (if you understand that reference, you're old, :devil ) but anyway, I find myself staring at the headlight trying to come up with an answer and muttering under my breath. So far I got nothing, but I'm picking up some cigars and Bourbon, this requires some help, so I'll get back to you.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
yea these bikes were designed for Arizona weather. i had my display on the radio get condensation in it once. despite what was once said to me... these things arte not sealed. if they were we wouldnt be having these issues. not only are they not IP678, they are IP-NOTHING. if there was anything about this bike that annoys me its that crap. other than that i lovvve the bike. :)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that on a XC there's basically no protection against water ingress from around the headlight. I'd like to have a conversation with the knucklehead that signed that off during the design phase.
It has to be that way so you can adjust the headlight. Everything is supposed to have a weather pack connection in the fairing, but even that don't seem to help. It also helps with airflow around the headlight and possibly the radio.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everything back to normal. Something must have dried out overnight. What I left out in my last post was that a cager drove by and caused a big wave of water to hit the bike mostly in front. It hit pretty hard and some water must have went inside the fairing around the headlight. I drove in rain storms before and this never happened. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
i still think your problem is where the emergency switchg is on the handlebars, not in the fairing itself

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will see next time I ride in a strong downpour.

·
Registered
112 Posts
After one heavy downpour, my turn signals had a mind of their own. Wouldn't turn off, signaled left when I hit right, etc. Service guy on phone, since I was traveling, suggested I get a can of dust-off from CVS and try to blow out water from the signal connection area. It worked. Next heavy downpour in Florida, not problems what so ever.

Two weeks ago in Vermont got caught with 60 miles of heavy rain. Lost my XM radio, driving lights don't work but rear speakers get louder now when I flick the driving light switch on and iPod is not quite working right. I suspect something shorted out. It goes to service next week.

I don't want to become a "blue sky rider", sometime we just get caught by the unexpected shower. I don't want to run for cover every time a cloud decides to open up. I too absolutely love the bike.

steviej

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
that is whar i hate about these bikes. they are simply noit designed for any sort of rain storm. pathetic. i halso have a Honda VTX and i have never ever had a problmen wit anything. But the VIC has issues. I have slapped dielectric grease on everything i could whne i had things apart. anything on the handle bars should be disassembeled and greased up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts