Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in San Diego visiting from the bay area and discovered my shift lever part number 5133530 is broken. I need help with getting the part or something similar so I can head home.

I'm at the Four Points Sheraton Sea World hotel

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that's the part but I'm having a hard time finding anyone that's open today that could possibly have it or something similar.

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Plan C would be to rent a U-Haul truck and trailer to get your bike home.

My Harley broke down in Santa Barbara one time and the local Harley shop let me park it there while I took a bus home to San Diego to pick up my El Camino to come and haul the bike home. Needless to say; that vacation sucked big ones. Running a primary belt drive is not a good idea is what I learned.

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What sucks more is having something that's extremely easy to replace leave you stranded cause you can't get the dang part

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Maybe you can find a welder. Every muffler shop welds.
I'm curious; do you have a heel shifter?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A welder is exactly what I'm looking for right now.

I'm also using a heel shifter

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
A welder is exactly what I'm looking for right now.

I'm also using a heel shifter
Like I said, try muffler shops. There's bound to be some open. And shitcan the heel shifter, I'll wager that's what caused the damage. I've seen that happen with others. Too much force.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Midas just said they don't have aluminum welders. Damn

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does the Vegas and the hard ball using the same or similar part?

·
12,983 Posts
same I think all vics do
try googling vic parts or custom shop
look on craigs list for welders

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Since you didn't post pics of the broken part; we have no way of knowing how to go about fixing it. If it broke mid-shaft then maybe a couple of plates bolted on both sides could hold it until you get home where you could replace it at your leisure.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Any motorcycle shop could have something that fit that short arm, hope you can fix it

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Like I said, try muffler shops. There's bound to be some open. And shitcan the heel shifter, I'll wager that's what caused the damage. I've seen that happen with others. Too much force.
We rarely disagree but this time we do. This kind of thing is usually operator error. Not saying it is this time but in general it is.

Using too much force will break anything. A lighter touch is needed. I see shifter forks and other internal shifting issues and the first thing I think of is a lead foot banging the shifter when a wood foot would be better.

Similar things break in cars with a manual transmission. Young people with little experience will slam those gears then wonder why the syncro's went out.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Expensive tiny part.
Dealer should be able to order it.
Or weld it.

No other options to get it safe to ride.

Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Using too much force will break anything. A lighter touch is needed. I see shifter forks and other internal shifting issues and the first thing I think of is a lead foot banging the shifter when a wood foot would be better.
And therein lies the problem with the heel shifter. Certainly, if one takes care and is gentle, there's no concern with breakage. Bang it with the heel and that invites disaster. No? I know personally of damage caused by the indelicate use of heel shifters. After the repair, I wonder if our OP will continue with his heel shifter.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
And therein lies the problem with the heel shifter. Certainly, if one takes care and is gentle, there's no concern with breakage. Bang it with the heel and that invites disaster. No? I know personally of damage caused by the indelicate use of heel shifters. After the repair, I wonder if our OP will continue with his heel shifter.
I never seen a heel shifter on a vic in this part of the world, agree RICZ, force is not good for delicate shifter parts

No matter how "soft touch" you do with a "heel" it will never be as soft as a pinky toe....

Smile

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update

I made it home around 8pm yesterday. A simple 5 cent screw allowed me to travel over 500 miles to get home

FYI, I have over 153k miles on the bike and thats the original shift lever. I have been using a heel shift since mile 1

I ordered the new part from WitchDoctors this morning.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts