Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a Vic Hammer or Jackpot and noticed a big difference in used prices if the earlier 08-09 100/5sp models. What was the upgrade in output and does the extra gear really warrant the $1000 price gap. Had a 106/6sp Veagas before and loved it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
You also have twice the oil change interval with the 6 speed so factor that into the price plus better gas mileage on the highways. As you see the resale will be higher also if that matters to you. For $1000 difference I would go for the 6 speed but it's your money find the best value for you.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
You also have twice the oil change interval with the 6 speed so factor that into the price plus better gas mileage on the highways. As you see the resale will be higher also if that matters to you. For $1000 difference I would go for the 6 speed but it's your money find the best value for you.

Only on 2011 and up. 2010 and below 6 speed had the lower oil change mileage.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Looking at getting a Vic Hammer or Jackpot and noticed a big difference in used prices if the earlier 08-09 100/5sp models. What was the upgrade in output and does the extra gear really warrant the $1000 price gap. Had a 106/6sp Veagas before and loved it.
Did you use sixth gear much? And could you live without it?
The only time I can really comfortably pull sixth is over the speed limit here. (OZ)
My 2010 Vegas is a 100/6 . With my breathing mods it generates as much torque as an uncammed 106 , and is a bit down on HP with a 106 . But these bikes are driven more by torque than HP
As for oil changes I do mine midway between the old and new points.
I have no problems selecting neutral which is why Vic specd the early change interval, but as I'm using top quality Aussie oil thats half the price of Vics I tend to change it before the upper change limit.....when you change is up to you
And how your bike is at finding neutral when stationary.
Bottom line its up to you

·
Registered
608 Posts
What is the difference between the two motors that could possibly make the oil changes so different ?

Maybe they don't spray any oil on the 106 gears? That would make the oil last longer!!

Considering the biggest killer of viscosity is the gears !!!

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
What is the difference between the two motors that could possibly make the oil changes so different ?

Maybe they don't spray any oil on the 106 gears? That would make the oil last longer!!

Considering the biggest killer of viscosity is the gears !!!
See my post above ^^^

·
Registered
608 Posts
See my post above ^^^
So your saying it's the ease of finding neutral
Victory thinks that if you use neutral at stop lights instead of holding the clutch in that the oil will last twice as long?

I can see less clutch material in the oil but how many people put the bike in neutral waiting for the light to change. Most leave the bike in gear in case they need to make a quick get out of the way.

If this is what it's about......a lot of us need to be changing oil at 2500

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Victory thinks that if you use neutral at stop lights instead of holding the clutch in that the oil will last twice as long?

I can see less clutch material in the oil but how many people put the bike in neutral waiting for the light to change. Most leave the bike in gear in case they need to make a quick get out of the way.

I agree with being in gear clutch in at lights.

it's the matter of getting neutral not the reasons why you want it.

I leave my bike running in neutral while I unlock my gate.
Theres more reasons to want neutral that sitting at the lights waiting to be rear ended.
Anyway to me its not a problem.
I'm going for a ride

·
Premium Member
547 Posts

There were several changes to the transmissions between the 2010-2011 model years, not just the neutral assist.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
The six speed has been out for quite awhile. For example the Vision has always had a 105/6 and it came out in 2008. It's not that there were issues with the first incarnation of the six speed, Big Vic just wanted to improve it. The tries to smooth the shift, reduce noise, add a neutral assist, and only allow the bike to go into 1st and N when stopped and dropped to N or 1st so people,middle lose track and try and take off from 3rd. In the process they also doubled the oil change interval.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts