Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When riding on hot days, I get a lot of engine heat blowing on my legs and even makes the seat hot. After a while this gets pretty uncomfortable. I have tried adjusting the air flow on the hard lowers but doesn't seem to help much. I hate to close the vents and not have that air cooling the engine. Anybody else experience this on the XCT? Does anyone know if there are engine heat shields available on the market? Thoughts?

·
13,031 Posts
Very few choices.

Take hard lowers off
Ship skin or wood beeds on seat
Gold Boden power on your ass
Wrap exhaust does little good but works mentally

Your sitting on a oven no way to get away from the heat. Heat is a part of riding kind like having wind buffeting you just have to find your way to deal with it we all do.
This is a motorcycle in the air and heat your not in your cage

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
How much are you adjusting the lowers? I've read that if you open them too much it's not effective. It's said to open them about an inch or so and try that first, then gradually increase that until you get the best effect.

I've also read about folks removing the CATs which reduces the heat effect.

To be honest, I haven't done either myself yet as we haven't had any hot weather yet :( :mad:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
These are the steps I've taken on my XCT (picked in March, 2012), to stay a bit cooler:

- Lowers adjustment. Max open seems to cause the in-coming air to be directed first near the engine -- where it gets an extra dose of heat -- and then onto your legs. Best -- for me, for the right side -- is open less than max, such that the inner lip (the part that's about an inch wide) is parallel to the bike. This seems to have the air come at you without first bouncing off the engine. The left side is slightly different (less heat over there); for me, I can open the left a bit more.

- Winglets open for max air to torso, i.e., such that the edges are about parallel to the bike.

- Feet/legs more to the outside and up front on the boards, i.e., as far from the engine as possible.

- Added (last year) BBob's heat shields: http://azleather.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3285387 . They help.

- Add Pro Pad Air Pad (large) last year: https://thepropad.com/air-series-seat-pads/ . Comfy, but didn't help with air flow.

- Ditched Pro Pad and added BeadRider 10x14" beads a few weeks ago: http://www.beadrider.com/ . I had these on two prior bikes, but couldn't (until recently) figure out the proper size for an XCT. Help a lot (unless your butt doesn't have enough padding).

- Had KlockWerks Flare installed by dealer at time of delivery. Very good for my height (5'9"). Recently replaced that with Madstad 11" system; similar for my height. If you're still using the XCT's stock barn door windshield, get something that you can look over, not through; the stocker is huge impediment to air flow (which is fine in the winter, I suppose).

·
Registered
784 Posts
Best I've found is with the lowers opened about an inch.
:I agree: Or, you could trade it on a Camry. :ltr:

I sometimes wonder what folks expect on some things. Oh and bend your legs. Don't have them streched as far as you can draping them across the rear jug and close to pipes.

Good luck.

·
Registered
848 Posts
When riding on hot days, I get a lot of engine heat blowing on my legs and even makes the seat hot. After a while this gets pretty uncomfortable. I have tried adjusting the air flow on the hard lowers but doesn't seem to help much. I hate to close the vents and not have that air cooling the engine. Anybody else experience this on the XCT? Does anyone know if there are engine heat shields available on the market? Thoughts?
So when i posted this question a while back I got the usual gambit of smart a$$ responses from what did you expect to suck it up.

What I did on my 2013 XCT.
1. Removed the two catalytic converters. Right is under the passenger foot peg left is in the cross pipe next to the oil filter.
2. Wrapped the cross pipe and areas under the passenger foot boards.
3. I previously installed a Cobra Power Pro tuner, bike ran much smoother after, not sure if this is required. definatly unplug the O2 sensors and run open loop.

The before and after, before the seat was as hot as chestnut roasting on an open fire. After it is warm but not uncomfortable.

You will get heat from the two 53 Cubic inch juggs between your legs but nothing like the heat off the Cats. Cats begin working at around 400 degrees F and if over fueled theey can get damn hot 2000 degree+. Search on glowing exhaust pipes.... that is the EPA at work for you.

End result. Maryland is pertty uncomforable during the summer months, My lowers as still installed, I open the vents when it get above 80 degrees, and my seat get a bit warm now. Good news the chestnuts no longer roast.

Pros, well I just went over them.

Cons, no longer EPA compliant (like anyone cares) and withthe stock air filter you might loose a couple of HP and Torques. It will not be enough for you to notice via the sseat of your pants.
Once the Cats are removed, they are removed.

I have this mod on my ride and now have 10,500+ miles on it siunce Jan, about 6000 of those are with the cats out.

As with any forum there are good and bad, 80% of what you might read is opinion and suposition. 20% is actual fact.

I ride mine almost every day hot cold clear not so clear, I also demand that it last a long time so my mods are for longevity not so much for style.

Do your research look up catalytic converters on google. Be informed.

Cheers

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
848 Posts
PS, the K&P filter is a great addition to lower temps too. see you have one in your sig.

Good Luck, PM if you would like to know more.

·
Registered
790 Posts
So when i posted this question a while back I got the usual gambit of smart a$$ responses from what did you expect to suck it up.

What I did on my 2013 XCT.
1. Removed the two catalytic converters. Right is under the passenger foot peg left is in the cross pipe next to the oil filter.
2. Wrapped the cross pipe and areas under the passenger foot boards.
3. I previously installed a Cobra Power Pro tuner, bike ran much smoother after, not sure if this is required. definatly unplug the O2 sensors and run open loop.

The before and after, before the seat was as hot as chestnut roasting on an open fire. After it is warm but not uncomfortable.

You will get heat from the two 53 Cubic inch juggs between your legs but nothing like the heat off the Cats. Cats begin working at around 400 degrees F and if over fueled theey can get damn hot 2000 degree+. Search on glowing exhaust pipes.... that is the EPA at work for you.

End result. Maryland is pertty uncomforable during the summer months, My lowers as still installed, I open the vents when it get above 80 degrees, and my seat get a bit warm now. Good news the chestnuts no longer roast.

Pros, well I just went over them.

Cons, no longer EPA compliant (like anyone cares) and withthe stock air filter you might loose a couple of HP and Torques. It will not be enough for you to notice via the sseat of your pants.
Once the Cats are removed, they are removed.

I have this mod on my ride and now have 10,500+ miles on it siunce Jan, about 6000 of those are with the cats out.

As with any forum there are good and bad, 80% of what you might read is opinion and suposition. 20% is actual fact.

I ride mine almost every day hot cold clear not so clear, I also demand that it last a long time so my mods are for longevity not so much for style.

Do your research look up catalytic converters on google. Be informed.

Cheers

Hope this helped.
Thinking of removing my Catalytic. What was the process, did it increasing popping and backfires or reduce them?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Thinking of removing my Catalytic. What was the process, did it increasing popping and backfires or reduce them?
Pulling the cats didn't affect the popping one way or another. It did reduce the balst of high furnace heating under me butt.

I need to get some new exhaust gaskets to kill the popping on my rig.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I run hot as well. And in PHX that's certainly a noticeable thing. I'd agree on the vent openings. Too much seems to just blow the hot air all over your legs and feel worse.

I have no experience with the cat removals, tunes, wraps, O2 removals etc. I'm sure there are some benefits but I'm not yet ready to pay the price for the negatives it could bring. While it's human nature for car (bike) guys to "make it better" I've also learned that sometimes better bring unsuspecting issues. Figure the factory took all that into account at the design and produced the best balance format they could. Maybe when I rack up 100k or something breaks I'll consider some of the other options, but for now I just live with the heat!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Figure the factory took all that into account at the design and produced the best balance format they could.
That's exactly correct .. "the best they could" which means they have legal guidelines to adhere to ... BUT, it does not necessarily mean it's the best that can be had.

(just sayin)

·
13,031 Posts
Take the Cats out of the exhaust there are two

·
Registered
848 Posts
I run hot as well. And in PHX that's certainly a noticeable thing. I'd agree on the vent openings. Too much seems to just blow the hot air all over your legs and feel worse.

I have no experience with the cat removals, tunes, wraps, O2 removals etc. I'm sure there are some benefits but I'm not yet ready to pay the price for the negatives it could bring. While it's human nature for car (bike) guys to "make it better" I've also learned that sometimes better bring unsuspecting issues. Figure the factory took all that into account at the design and produced the best balance format they could. Maybe when I rack up 100k or something breaks I'll consider some of the other options, but for now I just live with the heat!
Completely understand your point here. This said, with Mother EPA in the picture the Manufacturer has some limitations and these limitations are not the best designs to achieve the end result.

I am a motor head, Car Guy, tinkering, can make it better type. My thought process is not one of wholesale change everything because I can, it is what are the benifit to the changes I am thinking about. Case in point the Catalytic converters on my machine. These guys get stuffing hot when the day get warm and damn near unbareable when it gets hot out. I look into many way to deal with this issue, headder wrap, vent openings, changing pipes. Best Bang for the buck was removing the heat source. Cats begin to function around 400 degrees F and can get as hot as 2000+ degrees and actually melt the housing they are built into. ( google it!)

The process is simple remove the mufflers and then remove the cats. There as several ways to do this and the hole process takes a couple of hours.

Pros and Cons.

First the good news, the heat you feel will be reduced, dramaticly reduced to the point where you might need heated gear in the winter months.

Throttle response will be better a bit crisper and the exhaust note will change somewhat, you will hear the cylinders more with the OEM exhaust but this is by no means loud.

The Left side Cat is right next to the $2.00 oil filter and no wonder why after a few minutes the motor sounds like it has a valve issue. 400-1000 degrees right next to the oil filter what are you kidding me!

Now the flip side,
Removing the cats is generally a not reversable operation depending on the methode of removal.

You will lose a bit of low end grunt and hp. You can get this back with the installation of a Adjustable timing wheel from Lloydz.

mileage might drop .5 to 1 mpg by just the deletion of the cats and no other modification.

You will want to upgrade your Air filter to either the Vic hi flow or a Lloydz hi flo. Balance the flow in and out.

I wanted my bike to be ridable and comfortable during the summer months when I do most of my riding, I also wanted my passenger (co-rider) to be comfortable. You can stop right there and ride happy for the duration of the bikes life. My modifications are to improve ridability,performance, comfort, and longevity. I am not doing mods to be part of the crowd or to fit in with.....

The XCT is a very good bike, Great from the factory floor, hum, not so much but it has potential to be very , very good with a few adjustments. Compare it to a HD... hands down better, compare it to a Gold Wing.... hum I have to say the nod goes to the Wing in some areas and to teh XCT in others.

Some insight into a motorheads way of thinking.

Cheers

·
Registered
848 Posts
Sorry I did not completely answer your question.

Removal is simple on an XCT/CT/CR

1. Remove the bags
2. Remove the bag guards. Note, the rear bolts also hold the rear of the mufflers.
3. Right side, remove the heat shield on the muffler, and the next shield up this one has a bolt in the bottom as well as a band clamp.
On the left side remove both the muffler and elbow heat shields.
4. Loosen the band clamp holding the right side muffler on and on the left side the Band clamp holding the elbow at the crossover tube ( next to the oil filter)
5. With all the bag rail bolts out wiggle the mufflers up and down side to side. Right side pulling back , left side pulling out.

With the pipes off you can now see the Catalytic converters in the head pipe (right side) and cross over pipe (left side)

Couple of ways to remove these guys, one is to drill the dimples out there are 4 pinch points on the pipes holding the cat in or you can drill them out and pull em.

Start with the right side easiest to do and best to learn on as it is easy to access.

I elected to use a drill, 3/8 inch and drilled a series of holes around the outside edge of the cat. Don't worry there is a metal band holding all the material together and with just a bit of care you can easily drill the holes and not drill thru the pipe itself.

Next using a set of Locking needle nose pliers pull the cat out, it will come out in pieces using this methode and the bits are sharp be carful.

With all the pieces removed take a demel or a air drill and grind out any rough spots left to smooth the inside of the pipe. Suggest wearing a mask when doing this as there is some stuff in there you will not want to breathe.

Repeat the process on left side. Reinstall the pipes.

Something in addition that I did to control heat further was wrapping the pipes with headder wrap. I wrapped the sections starting with just behind the muffler join to the headder pipe to include the cross over pipe. (follow the directions on the headder tape to install)

Install the heat shields, and bag rails. Mount the bags and you are ready to ride.

This whole process take about 2 hours with a buddy toughest part is separating the mufflers for the first time if they are OEM. Suggest putting a bit of "anti sieze" on the pipe connection to make future removal easier.

Hope this helps Cheers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I used a 2" hole saw to get the cats out. It fits perfectly within the metal bands that hold the cat, and leaves a nice smooth hole. It does take awhile to drill through though.

Like Squatch I did the mod for passenger comfort, but I do like the sound with cats out and the stock mufflers....more bass and a touch louder, but not even close to obnoxious.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Like Squatch I did the mod for passenger comfort, but I do like the sound with cats out and the stock mufflers....more bass and a touch louder, but not even close to obnoxious.
If y'all haven't visited my thread on this, here's my vid of what it sounds like without the CATs.

Stock engine, Lloydz air filter, stock mufflers, CATs removed ... no other mods

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKEPqzN7y3s&feature=youtu.be

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I've thought about removing my CCT cats (catectomy) since I purchased it in May of this year. The heat really does (did) get too hot IMHO. Adjusting the lower fairing vents as Bill P posted works best for me as well. What really did the trick for me was my dealer installing the Lloyds Variable Timing wheel. The wheel, set at +4, went very, very far towards nearly eliminating the heat issues. Unless I open the vents fully on very hot days, then the seat will heat up too much. Easily remedied.

I also added the heat barrier pieces Witchdoctors sells for my CCT seat ad added the Victory mesh type seat pad.

I've read where some known excellent tuners report Hp and Tq reductions on the Cross bikes after removing the cats right where you don't want to lose Hp and/or Tq. Also, many report a cooler engine, with more performance and better fuel economy after a dyno tune. Since I think I have a dyno tune in the near future, I'll wait until after that to consider performing a catectomy.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts