Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Today I took delivery of my "new" 2013 XC. I am very excited to have the bike but noticed something right away I may need to address with the dealership I purchased it from. I saw that the left exhaust pipe was quite dark compared to the right. When I started it up, the left pipe smoked very bad for awhile until it warmed up. I'm afraid there is something wrong with that cylinder. Any ideas what this might be? Not the way I wanted to start off my bike ownership.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Hello all. Today I took delivery of my "new" 2013 XC. I am very excited to have the bike but noticed something right away I may need to address with the dealership I purchased it from. I saw that the left exhaust pipe was quite dark compared to the right. When I started it up, the left pipe smoked very bad for awhile until it warmed up. I'm afraid there is something wrong with that cylinder. Any ideas what this might be? Not the way I wanted to start off my bike ownership.

That's normal. It has to do with velocity and flow of the exhaust system. Don't fret that for one second.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Are you new to Victory? If so, there are some important things you need to know. Your for the asking.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife has had a Vegas for 10 years, but this is my first Vic. Been following the forums for years and finally got my own. Can't wait to get some miles on this baby but don't remember seeing anything about one cylinder smoking. I do plan to get the bike over to The Vic Shop next spring so they can make sure everything is good but wanted to make sure this is not a big problem I need to address with the dealer.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
My wife has had a Vegas for 10 years, but this is my first Vic. Been following the forums for years and finally got my own. Can't wait to get some miles on this baby but don't remember seeing anything about one cylinder smoking. I do plan to get the bike over to The Vic Shop next spring so they can make sure everything is good but wanted to make sure this is not a big problem I need to address with the dealer.

It is a non issue. The right pipe flows faster than the left. It's part of the design of the head pipe.

·
Registered
146 Posts
White, or blue smoke?
If white, then just condensation - normal.
If blue, then oil consumption related - Not normal
Normal for soot build up on the exhaust tips on these bikes

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Left smokem

Left side flows more exhaust than the right with the stock exhaust. The stock exhaust has a little scoop in the right side to devert some exhaust to the left muffler, so some say the left side flows more. You can put your hand over the tail pipe of each side with the bike idling and you ought to feel it have a little more flow out the left muffler. Some people have been known to remove the scoop and other clowns(myself) have removed the left muffler completely. So the other thing I thought of, from you location it may be rather cool/cold there and of course you notice smoke more in the cold out of the tail pipes. So unless the smoke is blue(oil burning) or black(too rich of fuel) I would not worry about it much personally. Nice looking bike. Enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
My XR like all cross bikes flows more out of one pipe than the other but not in my 6 years of owning it has it ever had that much soot on one pipe and not the other.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Too many cold starts? Just wondering.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Possibly a bad tune? Does the bike have an aftermarket tuner of some sort?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
White, or blue smoke?
If white, then just condensation - normal.
If blue, then oil consumption related - Not normal
Normal for soot build up on the exhaust tips on these bikes
I'm pretty sure it was white smoke. Seemed to be a lot and stuck around for awhile but as soon as the bike warmed up it quite. That would make sense since it has not run in over a month and was bouncing around the country in a semi trailer.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Too many cold starts? Just wondering.
I couldn't tell you. I literally just took possession of the bike yesterday but I know it had not been started in over a month for sure while it was being shipped to me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Possibly a bad tune? Does the bike have an aftermarket tuner of some sort?
I was wondering that myself. It does have Vance & Hines pipes but no idea if it's been tuned. I would guess it has but I don't know that for sure. I do plan to get it to The Vic Shop in the Spring. So maybe that will take care of the issue.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I was wondering that myself. It does have Vance & Hines pipes but no idea if it's been tuned. I would guess it has but I don't know that for sure. I do plan to get it to The Vic Shop in the Spring. So maybe that will take care of the issue.
I've had stock pipes, the v&h pipes, and tri ovals. They've all had a "soot" covered pipe on the left after a while. My bike has no tune. A slip on exhaust change does not warrant a tune. My bike is stock, outside of the slip ons.

·
12,983 Posts
According to the vic shop the back suit is from hard acceleration. Rylan says its perfectly normal. Vic's ECM is a poor design and till you get up to 50 mph more exhaust goes out the left side.
Bottom line there is nothing wrong with you motor. I do suggest you get new spark plugs and plug wires

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
According to the vic shop the back suit is from hard acceleration. Rylan says its perfectly normal. Vic's ECM is a poor design and till you get up to 50 mph more exhaust goes out the left side.
Bottom line there is nothing wrong with you motor. I do suggest you get new spark plugs and plug wires
Thank you Johnny. I appreciate everyone's responses. That makes be feel a lot better because I was pretty nervous when I saw this yesterday. I do still plan to pay Rylan and the staff at The Vic Shop a visit next Spring to have them check everything over on this bike and my wife's Vegas to make sure everything is on the up and up. They are only about 2 hours from our house. So that will be a good reason to go for a ride as well. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts