Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like piston slap in the front cylinder. Looked down both cylinders with a bore scope...rear cylinder is nice and shinny, front is dark and has vertical lines all over it. I guess I'll know the truth tomorrow...taking it to The Vic Shop. Hope I don't need a full rebuild.:(

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Has it been ran recently? Does it clear up after idling for a few minutes? Does it make the same noise when started after it's warmed up?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put about 200 miles on it this spring. It's loudest when first started, but never seems to really go away. I can hear it when rolling on the throttle with a helmet on.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I read this stuff and it makes my stomach turn , good luck with it ...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mags. Just so everyone knows the history...
05 Hammer, 19,000 miles. Purchased bike in winter, couldn't test ride it.
Gave bike a full tune up (plugs, wires, fresh fuel, intake boot, cleaned throttle body, oil change). Bike was clean, but not maintained. Didn't notice any odd noises at first...progressively got louder the more I rode it.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
It sounds like your lash adjusters on the valves are bleeding down. While it's making the noise try holding a piece of pipe against your cylinders and valve covers and putting your ear on the other end. If the adjusters are the issue you'll hear a lot more noise in one or both valve covers than in the cylinders.

My bike did the same for a couple of winters but went away when I changed back to syn/dyno blend oil. Syn oil seems to drain from the adjusters faster than dyno.

Added: also listen around the exhaust ports - it could be something as simple as exhaust gaskets.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exhaust gaskets are new...just put new exhaust on it. I'll just wait and see what the pro says tomorrow!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do. On the bright side, if it does need a rebuild, no reason to stay stock!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welp....she's trash. Rylan said it'll take a full rebuild. I feel sick.:puke:
Waited 6 months to finally ride it, and now might wait up to two more.
That's life, I guess.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Sorry Derp .... That's bad news. Upgrades?:D

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
At least your close to Rylan !
Do you know what happened, what components let go or what caused it?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Used mills look to be under two grand and they are available. Shipping, odds and ends, and labor - maybe three grand. But, you could be riding in a week or two plus you have a motor on the bench to build at your leisure.
Just another way to go.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Front cylinder is scored to hell, probably from not letting it warm up. Has aftermarket pistons in it. Power Commander had a zero map. I'm sure that didn't help things. Seem like everything was caused by the ignorance of the previous owner.
He said anywhere between $2500 to $4500, but won't know until they rip into it. I still need to call Rylan back and discuss what we're gonna put into it...stock or aftermarket type stuffs.
I was in shock yesterday, actually got myself so worked up on the drive home that I got dizzy, but feeling good today. I know it will get done right the first time and run like a scalded cat when I get it back. Besides, I don't plan on getting rid of this bike for a long time.
While I'm waiting to get it back, I can just steal the used bikes at our shop to ride ( I work at a power sports dealership ) or sneak my wifes Ninja out of the garage.:ride:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Woohoo! There starting to rip into her! Hopefully I'll have more info soon.thumb up

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like I'll be getting a 104", upgraded clutch, and new timing wheel thingy.
Hopefully have it home in a few weeks. Can't wait to ride!

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Good luck, glad you were able to get it sorted before something bad happened.

·
Registered
355 Posts
was it a 92in or 100in to start? are cams part of the 104 kit?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts