Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my XCT for about 3 1/2 weeks now and just took it in for the first 500 mile service yesterday. This morning when I started it, I heard a knock for about 2 seconds then it smoothed out. After that it ran fine and started without any noise. This is the reason I got rid of my HD because of bad lifters and all the valve train problems they have. Anyone experience this? I'm hoping it was a one off occurrance. I am waiting until tomorrow to re-crank it in hopes it won't do it again. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I'm not a mechannic but I'm guessing it's normal since all the oil drains to the oil pan while the bike is parked over night. My bike makes the same noise when I first start it in the morning or after being parked for a few days. And my bike is 2003.
I wouldn't worry about it. cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a little over 2000 miles on mine and it has done it 3 or 4 times. Just the oil draining down out of lifter. Clears up withing a sec or two. Nothing like the last few Harleys I had. I am going to change the oil one more time with Victory oil and then switch it over to Amsoil and see what happens. Start it up and ride it.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have a little over 2000 miles on mine and it has done it 3 or 4 times. Just the oil draining down out of lifter. Clears up withing a sec or two. Nothing like the last few Harleys I had. I am going to change the oil one more time with Victory oil and then switch it over to Amsoil and see what happens. Start it up and ride it.
Dam did you pay more for a Vic. with lifters. Mine doesn't have any.:ltr::ltr:

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts

·
13,026 Posts
Your saying "knock" or do you mean tick?
Are you revving the motor as it is warming up or what? Its a no no to do.
If you get a tick it is from the hydraulic chain adjuster. Yes in some bikes it happens and in time just might go away for good.
Your bike is new so every thing has to seat and break in. Give it time and you'll love it more then you do now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your saying "knock" or do you mean tick?
Are you revving the motor as it is warming up or what? Its a no no to do.
If you get a tick it is from the hydraulic chain adjuster. Yes in some bikes it happens and in time just might go away for good.
Your bike is new so every thing has to seat and break in. Give it time and you'll love it more then you do now.
I suppose it's more of a tick, but it only has happened the one time. I cranked it today with no issues. Of course I rode for a few hours today. This thing is far more superior than my former HD ultra classic.

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
No push rods but hydraulic lifters.
Your motor is truly unique.
There are some tiny rocker arm mounted hydraulic lifters. Otherwise they would be solid and tap much more than they occasionally do now.

Plus the cam chain hydraulic lifter/adjuster.

·
Registered
275 Posts
As it just started with your oil change, it is quite possible that the Anti Drain-Back valve is weak, non-functioning or if a cheap filter was used, it could be non-exhistent.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As it just started with your oil change, it is quite possible that the Anti Drain-Back valve is weak, non-functioning or if a cheap filter was used, it could be non-exhistent.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob
Where is the anti-drain-back valve located? In the filter since it started at the oil change?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts