Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got back from work yesterday, shut off the bike. Hot day +32C. Opened garage and when I restarted the bike to move it into the garage a loud ticking noise(lifter,cam i think) started. Quickly parked and shut off the bike. Let the bike sit for 10 minutes to cool a bit. Restarted the bike and no noise. 2014 CC. 33,000kms on it now. Oil level good. Always use Vic stuff every 5,000kms. Stage 1 only on the bike. No other mods. Could this just be a trick sticky lifter acting up? I don't ride hard. 75% highway miles. First time this has happened. Has anyone experienced this? Is it something to be worried about?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I got back from work yesterday, shut off the bike. Hot day +32C. Opened garage and when I restarted the bike to move it into the garage a loud ticking noise(lifter,cam i think) started. Quickly parked and shut off the bike. Let the bike sit for 10 minutes to cool a bit. Restarted the bike and no noise. 2014 CC. 33,000kms on it now. Oil level good. Always use Vic stuff every 5,000kms. Stage 1 only on the bike. No other mods. Could this just be a trick sticky lifter acting up? I don't ride hard. 75% highway miles. First time this has happened. Has anyone experienced this? Is it something to be worried about?
No worries unless it becomes a regular thing.
One of the cam followers or cam chain tensioners failed to pump up completely. Wifes bike did a lot of this when new.
Hers turned out to be a defective cam chain tensioner in the front cylinder. It had a problem nearly from day one.

One event wouldn't concern me in the least. All it takes is the least amount of gum or a particle in the oil etc that lodges in the valving of either the cam chain tensioners or the self adjusting cam followers. Might have just been the temp rise from letting it heat soak in the driveway while you were negotiating with the garage door that caused the problem.
If it starts to happen frequently check back.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. Much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
13,003 Posts
Just asking is all.
Do you have bike vertical when checking oil and do you screw in dipstick and then out to get reading.
So many guys buy their bike used and never get owners book to find out how to check the oil.
My bike ticks when I start it on the kick stand but only for about 30 seconds. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use the lift to get it vertical then check oil.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And screw all the way in to get accurate reading.

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
I was getting lifter noise when using Vic oil and switched to Rotella T6 and that quieted them. Stayed with Rotella since then.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was getting lifter noise when using Vic oil and switched to Rotella T6 and that quieted them. Stayed with Rotella since then.

Going to try that once my extended warranty expires to quiet the slight lifter noise that has always been there.

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
Going to try that once my extended warranty expires to quiet the slight lifter noise that has always been there.
As far as I know, using another oil that's motorcycle rated, will not affect your warranty. Look on the back label on a jug of T6 and you will see it is JASO MA/MA2 rated. It don't get no better than that. And besides, being intended for Diesel engines, it has a much heavier engine protection additive package. Good stuff.

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
What T6 are you using? 15-40?
Its only available in 5W-40 weight. That's why I like it - it is thin enough cold to start circulating right away after startup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts