Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After arriving at work this week I notice my Pin making a lot of racket at idle. It sounds like a chain hitting a piece of tin. Took it home and checked for anything loose. Oil was good. Could not find any exhaust leaks. Plugs looked ok. Placed a rag over each exhaust while it was running and it is defiantly coming from the front cylinder. My first thought was a bad cam tensioner. Found a post about cam tensioner noise. Read a post from Kevin about swapping the cam tensioners to see if the noise moves to the other cylinder. Pulled the front tensioner out, but could not get the tensioner out of the housing. It was moving freely. I did a compression test and got 130 psi on the rear cylinder and 110 on the front. Found another post that ended up being a piston wrist pin retainer, UGH. With the low compression it must be in the cylinder. Does anyone know of anything else I could check before I take it in? I was going to upload a video but cant get my YouTube account to work.

The only mods I have is a stage I flash, Swept pipes with different baffles, the O2’s removed, K&N filter, and IAV. I have a little less than 18K miles.
IMG_0453.jpg

·
13,188 Posts
110 compression not good. If your dealer doesn't seem smart enough take it down to Kevinx. If your wallet can afford it you might want to think about cams seeing how they will have the motor out of bike.
Do Not Ride It

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
After arriving at work this week I notice my Pin making a lot of racket at idle. It sounds like a chain hitting a piece of tin. Took it home and checked for anything loose. Oil was good. Could not find any exhaust leaks. Plugs looked ok. Placed a rag over each exhaust while it was running and it is defiantly coming from the front cylinder. My first thought was a bad cam tensioner. Found a post about cam tensioner noise. Read a post from Kevin about swapping the cam tensioners to see if the noise moves to the other cylinder. Pulled the front tensioner out, but could not get the tensioner out of the housing. It was moving freely. I did a compression test and got 130 psi on the rear cylinder and 110 on the front. Found another post that ended up being a piston wrist pin retainer, UGH. With the low compression it must be in the cylinder. Does anyone know of anything else I could check before I take it in? I was going to upload a video but cant get my YouTube account to work.

The only mods I have is a stage I flash, Swept pipes with different baffles, the O2’s removed, K&N filter, and IAV. I have a little less than 18K miles.
View attachment 146474
Just curious did you have the throttle pinned wide open while doing the compression test with both plugs removed. It often makes a significant difference.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I forgot about opening the throttle. I'll check it again. Not sure what are good #'s. I was thinking up towards 150 is that right?
Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This time I got 190 on the front cylinder and 180 on the rear. That makes me feel a lot better, but I'm not sure where to go from here.

Maybe I need to take another look at the cam tensoiner?

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
The video is coming up as private. You have to go into the video settings (at www.youtube.com) and change to Public or Unlisted

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Broggyr
Try again I did not hit publish.

kevinx Does the noise go away when you pull in the clutch?

No It sounds the same with the clutch in.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Wonder if it's a bad cam chain tensioner. Could that be the cam chain slapping around in there?

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Verry interested .... Hope your bike will be fine

·
Premium Member
13,660 Posts
A week or two ago someone had what he thought was something serious wrong with one cylinder. Most of us guessed wrong and that's all it can be from being in front of our Internet devices. It ended up being a referred noise from a belt that needed adjustment.

For all we know; this is nothing more than a loose exhaust heat shield.

I agree with the idea about running it down on a trailer or in a pickup to KevinX for a check up.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Y
E
S

Sirrrrrrrr

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
A week or two ago someone had what he thought was something serious wrong with one cylinder. Most of us guessed wrong and that's all it can be from being in front of our Internet devices. It ended up being a referred noise from a belt that needed adjustment.

For all we know; this is nothing more than a loose exhaust heat shield.

I agree with the idea about running it down on a trailer or in a pickup to KevinX for a check up.
Sounds just like mine but I'm too lazy to fix. thumb up

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found the problem. I pulled my baffles out and found one of them had broken all the welds on the perforated steel cone. It was bouncing around in front of the baffle.
MC Hammer figured it out from listening to the video.
Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I found the problem. I pulled my baffles out and found one of them had broken all the welds on the perforated steel cone. It was bouncing around in front of the baffle.
MC Hammer figured it out from listening to the video.
Thanks for everyone's help.
I think it was Bbob as per post above ..... Post #13 calling it correctly

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
What I am hearing on your video sounds like a bad lifter but so many other things could make the same sound. I would take the bike to one of the known good Vic mechanics like KevinX or Rylan Voss. They will find and fix your issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts