Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
riding back from Brunswick Heads last night I wound her up through the gears and hit sixth gear on the freeway northbound.
Shortly after cruising in sixth just under 3000rpm it started to miss and shudder momentarilty...I noticed the green OverDrive light in the tach flashing on and off in time with the miss...
I dropped her back into fifth and all good...ran in fifth for a while then tried 6th again and no problems, stayed in 6th all the way on the freeway till heavy rain forced us to stop in a tunnel for a while, but after we got going again no further trouble.
This could maybe be related to the red check eng light fault Ive questioned before?
Anyone else struck this problem and know the cure.
Hope to get up to Brissy sometime this week and get on their diagnostic computer.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bumps this up in hope of a reply:)

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
1st thing: Take each battery terminal off, sand it to bare metal on all surfaces, clean and reinstall nice and snug. At least you have eliminated that possibility, which is the start of any troubleshooting.

If the ECU is not getting a solid and consistant 12 volts it will freak-the-hell-out.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Motor , your not being ignored by any means , this is just a tough one ... Wish I could help , but I'm clueless on this one .:crzy:

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1st thing: Take each battery terminal off, sand it to bare metal on all surfaces, clean and reinstall nice and snug. At least you have eliminated that possibility, which is the start of any troubleshooting.

If the ECU is not getting a solid and consistant 12 volts it will freak-the-hell-out.
Yeah thanks H.C. but Ive already cleaned and fitted lock washers , tighted and smeared with di-electric grease when chasing my red check engine light intermittent problem.
Also after doing a search on here I come to the realisation that most people have a digital gear readout for each gear (like the brand new Judge I rode)...my Vegas having the tach update which I fitted which has the green O/D light in it, so most would maybe not even know what Im talking about.
Its been suggested my 40 amp circuit breaker could be on the way out causing my red check engine light, so wonder it this could be related.
Bloody electrical gremlins!

·
Administrator
5,973 Posts
Yeah thanks H.C. but Ive already cleaned and fitted lock washers , tighted and smeared with di-electric grease when chasing my red check engine light intermittent problem.
Also after doing a search on here I come to the realisation that most people have a digital gear readout for each gear (like the brand new Judge I rode)...my Vegas having the tach update which I fitted which has the green O/D light in it, so most would maybe not even know what Im talking about.
Its been suggested my 40 amp circuit breaker could be on the way out causing my red check engine light, so wonder it this could be related.
Bloody electrical gremlins!
Could be the circuit breaker. You could check it with a Voltmeter if you have one.

Or maybe the PCV and ECU were arguing over who's right and neither one was willing to give in. They started throwing punches at each other and didn't even notice they weren't doing their job until you dropped to 5th. That startled them and they both got back to work. wac

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Engine problem codes are stored. Why not drop by your local Vic dealer and have them read the codes? At least that would tell you where to start looking.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
illCa
Engine problem codes are stored. Why not drop by your local Vic dealer and have them read the codes? At least that would tell you where to start looking.
Yeah, my local Vic dealer is in Brisbane, 60 miles ride into the city, I'll bite the bullet and ride in later in the week and make the trip worthwhile as I've other business in there too I can take care of.
Didnt buy bike off them and its over 3 years old so Im at their mercy as to what they charge me to check it out.
Id like to get on top of all these electrical glitches for if my bikes not reliable whats the use of it, its great in other areas, save jumping back out of second or third gear if I dont slam it in like a toplader

·
13,177 Posts
even with test light electrical meter you can search a long time and never find the problem.
Yes a dealer will charge you a good hundred bucks or more but in twenty minuets they can tell you the answer.
Last year a friend had a aftermarket shop install a amp and speakers. His bike did not run right and a code showed on speed-o. A dealer hooked up there digital wrench and said he had a pinched wire. A pink one. Half hour later he was riding.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ill head up to the Vic dealership tomorrow, theyre a good crew up there,and the mechanic, Roberto, knows his Vics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts