Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read a comparision review between the Cross Country Tour, ultra glide and the Kaw. Voyager......cross country came in behind the Ultra glide but a comment about it being the noisest engine of the 3 kinda bothers me. Can anyone shed some light

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Just read a comparision review between the Cross Country Tour, ultra glide and the Kaw. Voyager......cross country came in behind the Ultra glide but a comment about it being the noisest engine of the 3 kinda bothers me. Can anyone shed some light
Maybe the XCT has the quietest stock muffler? Either that, either Mr. Harley, who wrote the comparison, is really getting creative.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Each bike will have their own unique sound. Also- media types tend to be extremely whiny like 2 year olds about whatever peeves them individually. Also- I think new bikes will make little ticks, squeaks, snaps, etc when they are new and breaking in and change subtley over time.

You're local to me right? Head down to Prince George and listen to them both. Victory and HD are right next door to each other. The Victory store has all the rice burners, too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes I am......prince george is just down 295 from me. i am planning on trying to get to prince george next weekend, gonna be in Va. Beach this weekend....gonna run by a dealer down there for comparision shopping

·
Registered
227 Posts
The Victory has a modern engine with chain driven overhead cams.:pepper:

The Harley has an old fashioned pushrod engine. :ltr:

Some people just can't get over it.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yes the Victory has a loudish sounding engine. Louder than the other two? Never compaired them. Is it a problem? Doesn't seem to be. It is what it is. It isn't something that is bothersome or even anything to write about IMHO. Just part of the bike. Wings whine, Ventrures have grumpy sounding brakes, HD's have the shake, The Voyager is a weak a$$ attempt at the bike they put the name on. Kawasaki missed the target IMHO, it is ok, but nothing in compaison to its namesake.
They all have something that bothers someone, or just take it as part of the ride. Like already said, someone needed something to complain about. The article said the XCT was "overstyled" too. WTF is that? Like complaining your date has too much class or is too pretty.
YMMV

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Lostintexas pretty much summed it up but I'll just add my 5 cents...

Yes, the Vic engine "seems" noisier but keep in mind, it is solid mounted, and is actually part of the frame itself, and those engine sounds reverberate through the rest of the bike so it makes it sound noisier.

The Yamaha Venture 2nd gen (1999 - 2013) is noisier and it's not solid mounted.

One gets used to these sounds after a while although my Venture had what is known as "clutch basket chirp" that actually sounded like a whine and it drove me nuts sometimes. I sold it after 3 years and bought a Wing ... and that had an alternator drive gear whine that kinda drove me nuts too LMAO Did I say "one gets used to these sounds"??? hahaha

The Vic is nothing in comparison to those two bikes!

·
Registered
784 Posts
:ltr: I forgot about the clutch basket on the Venture. First one had it, second didn't. The basket wasn't the only thing that moaned over the noise it made. Lots of folks griped to the end of where ever about it.
All these things are just a part of it. Nothing "wrong" or damaging, well other than the sanity of the riders.

Thanks T cheers

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Ride them and decide for yourself. Keep in mind Vics quiet down as they break in. This is my first Big Twin in over 60 years of riding and I have no complaints. You want quiet? Then a Goldwing is your bike.:)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ride them and decide for yourself. Keep in mind Vics quiet down as they break in. This is my first Big Twin in over 60 years of riding and I have no complaints. You want quiet? Then a Goldwing is your bike.:)

****....now I have to buy a Goldwing,too....:ltr:

·
Registered
12,250 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
You want quiet? Then a Goldwing is your bike.:)
Not if you slap on a set of cobra pipes and torx-tubes LOL (which is what I had on mine)

That thing sounded like a high end sports car!

·
Registered
85 Posts
This engine does put out a lot of mechanical noise. More than any other motorcycle I have owned. More than the Harleys I have ridden too. It's a simple statement of fact, not a condemnation.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My Suzuki M109 was just as noisy but it was a heluva engine and it never failed me once. I kinda like the valve train noise, reminds me I am driving a machine. I can barely hear my CCT over the Arlen Ness Honkers :D

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I owned the Voyager and it was quiet until I removed the silencer air intake system to in stall a Dyno-jet air kit. Wow that motor was horrible loud. Ran better and breath better with the open air kit but the space between the cylinders was absorbing so much noise with that contraption they had. HD has a lot of stuff (air kit) between the jugs too to help absorb noise. As stated we have an over head cam motor and 4 valves playing what some call music to their ears.

The Lloyds timing whell changed the sound of my motor after I installed it. Seemed to smooth it out a bit. Advance to +4 . Then came the cams and a tune with PCV. I don't hear a dam thing now.

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
Mechanical noise... miles of cam chains, counterbalancers, gear drive primary...
There are many noises an engine can make, in addition to the sound of the intake and exhaust. Is there anyone who hasn't noticed the Victory engine has more mechanical noise than the HD? Is there anyone surprised by this comment?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Mechanical noise... miles of cam chains, counterbalancers, gear drive primary...
There are many noises an engine can make, in addition to the sound of the intake and exhaust. Is there anyone who hasn't noticed the Victory engine has more mechanical noise than the HD? Is there anyone surprised by this comment?
:ltr: Good morning!

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
:ltr: Good morning!
Good morning to you, sir.

One more comment about the article and other similar articles. Each and every one says the Vic is the best at being a motorcycle. While they may prefer one bike over the other in the conclusions, they make no bones about which bike is the most competent.

There may be some nits to pick with it (noisy engine/clunky trans/exposed wiring) there's no denying the competence of the machine, the comfort, the storage, the handling, and the performance.

Carry on...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts