Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie and got my new Vision Touring last Saturday (Premium). It's only got 200 miles on it and still breaking in. I'm reviewing the owners manual and came across the section about how to check your oil. Followed the instructions and found out that oil level is below the "add" oil line. So, I'm concerned. I'm guessing that I need to add a quart?

The manual clearly states to "use only VICTORY brand Semi-synthetic 20w40 Motor Oil or equivalent oil for use with wet clutches such as JASO MA rating." The nearest victory dealer is 65 miles away, so I'm very reluctant to just jump in the car and drive all that way for a quart of oil.

I wanted to ride my bike today, but now very reluctant to do so. So, what substitutes are readily available? All the bike dealers in Northern VA are closed today. So can I buy any branded "equivalent" oil that other bikes use? I'm guessing that anything that conforms to JASO MA and is 20w40 will work?. I just went to Walmart and they have nothing with 20w40 viscosity.

Any help would be great!

Thanks , Vince.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check your local auto parts stores...generally if the oil matches all the characteristics and specs. It should be fine. It's just a way for the dealers to make more money if you buy branded oil. But make sure it is motorcycle oil it has different characteristics than automobile oil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vince: I live in Centreville VA. Looking at a Vision for next year. I currently ride a Honda VTX. I would like to meet and share your opinion on your bike. Drop me an invite at [email protected]. I'll putt, putt over one weekend.

·
Registered
163 Posts
From everything I have read and seen on spec's Mobil 1 4t Racing oil is an equivalent in 10W40...I am switching to it in 100 miles when my next oil change comes around...Someone posted over on VMC that both Vic oil and Mobil 1 oil is the same except for the base oil....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts