Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for Engine Removal Tips

I am looking for tips on dropping my engine from a 2009 Kingpin from guys that have actually done it. Stuff like how you supported the bike. How did you hold the rear up when you drop the suspension. Did you raise the bike any to make it easier to clear the engine from the frame. I know all the obvious stuff, removing tank, pipes, frame, disconnecting everything, but what is some of the less obvious stuff you did, or wish you would have done to make it easier. I have a locking front wheel chock which i am going to lift with 4x6's to make it higher, and probably hang the rear from the rafters, or any better suggestions.

·
13,188 Posts
what about after you have the tank and pipes and belt off. Have a Buddy come over and lay it on its side. Then lift the frame off.
Or put the wheels up on some blocks and a jack under motor unbolt and lower motor

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is your problem, VJ, is that to hard of a question. Are you more used to how do I wire an LED, how do I change a horn, etc. I searched, as seems like the only help your probably capable of, engine removal, motor removal, drop, and any other way I could word it and nothing pertaining to it. What other words of advice can you offer, this is the kind of crap that makes me want to quit riding Victorys,

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
When I pulled the engine in my Kingpin, I ran straps from the bars up to the rafters and from the rear frame hoop to the rafters. It kept it upright.I also jacked it up and put a chunk of 4x4 under each tire. Unbolted the motor with a floor jack under it. I then used a couple of steel bars to adapt the engine to an engine hoist. I was able to do all my work on the stand. I didn't have to disassemble the bottom end though. I just removed the heads,cylinders,cams etc to install the upgrades.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. As far as the engine tear down, I am`looking at splitting the case. Mines a 5-speed 8-ball, so I am looking to change out the gears and shift drum to make it a 6-speed, so I have to come up with a one side of the case stand. But the fact that you mentioned nothing else when dropping the motor makes me believe its straight forward.

·
13,188 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Put it on a motorcycle jack. Pull the swing arm off to get to the bracket on the back of the motor. Then put it back on. Get a couple of buddies to help you slide the frame over while the engine sits on the jack. That's how I did it and I had no problems at all. Only took a few minutes to get it out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks Woodrow, Seems the more I hear the easier it sounds. If you dont mind me asking, how does your bike run with the .495 cams. Does it pull noticeably harder mid range or top end, any less pull down low. Also, what pistons, compression, are you using. I should have asked Tarzan the same thing, as I just noticed he has cams and 11:1 pistons. He also has rpm redline raised to 6000, which sounds like your big cams would like.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Actually what I am doing is splitting the cases and upgrading to a 6-speed. It turns out you swap out a blank gear (a shift fork engages this one) on the main shaft, and add a gear to the already open space on the output shaft, replace the shift drum with the 6-speed one. The only difference is that the 5-speed come with a first gear that pulls a little longer. If you shop Don Wood Vic the parts are pretty reasonably. I also have to replace the intake boot which has a big split in it. I have seen KevinX diagnose that on several other bikes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Actually what I am doing is splitting the cases and upgrading to a 6-speed. It turns out you swap out a blank gear (a shift fork engages this one) on the main shaft, and add a gear to the already open space on the output shaft, replace the shift drum with the 6-speed one. The only difference is that the 5-speed come with a first gear that pulls a little longer.

Sounds like an interesting project. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It pulls from 10-15 mph all the way to redline which I left stock. I have 10.5-1 pistons. Before I did any work I went to the track and ran close to a 13.2 or three. After the work I ran an 11.9 with the break in tune. Hope to get back this year and make some since I got it tuned. With the 495's you need to have at least 10-1 pistons. You also need to buy old style cam carriers. It will cost around 4 to 500 more than the other piston and cam setup to put them in. If I remember correct. Ask half crazy he has ran the 495 and the dr from loydz. He can tell you which he prefers.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts