Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 hardball, 454 miles, was [email protected] mph (1900-2100 rpm) shifted up to 5Th and bike stalled. ( i don't beleive i ever let clutch out, but cant remember 100%) I held in the clutch hit the starter she started back up, down shifted to 4Th and she rode as if nothing happened. there was no skipping, sputter, wheel hop, backfire nothing, it just died. I pulled into a parking lot and couldn't see any obvious problems, so i started it back up and came home. She rode home just fine. Anyone have any clues? I will be taking it back to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
2012 hardball, 454 miles, was [email protected] mph (1900-2100 rpm) shifted up to 5Th and bike stalled. ( i don't beleive i ever let clutch out, but cant remember 100%) I held in the clutch hit the starter she started back up, down shifted to 4Th and she rode as if nothing happened. there was no skipping, sputter, wheel hop, backfire nothing, it just died. I pulled into a parking lot and couldn't see any obvious problems, so i started it back up and came home. She rode home just fine. Anyone have any clues? I will be taking it back to the dealer tomorrow.
Open battery compartment and tighten the battery connections. ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
crossroads,
thanks a lot, i was able to get 1/8-1/4 turn on both sides of the battery, not sure if that was considered loose, but your logic seemed to work, took it out for a few miles after that got on it not to hard but up to 5th anyway. thanks again!!! I almost lost my burrito sauce when that happened earlier

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
crossroads,
i called the dealer today and explained what happend and the service manager told me I was "dogging" the engine. He said i should be in third gear at 40 mph, I rode today and tested his theory the bike was at 40 mph, and bouncing from 2450-2500 rpms, is that a good rpm range for that speed? for some reason i want to be in forth at 40-50 mph, he also said i should shift every 15 mph, but the manual says every 10? I guess im just looking for some other opinions...

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Accelerating at from under 2200 rpm (some say 2500) will cause bogging and bogging is bad. You should drop 500-600 rpm on shifts so try shifting at 2700-2800 rpm (or 3000-3100 using the 2500 rpm logic).

Just out of curiousity; you ride a Hard Ball - how were you carrying burrito sauce? You have bags that you could have used...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Accelerating at from under 2200 rpm (some say 2500) will cause bogging and bogging is bad. You should drop 500-600 rpm on shifts so try shifting at 2700-2800 rpm (or 3000-3100 using the 2500 rpm logic).

Just out of curiousity; you ride a Hard Ball - how were you carrying burrito sauce? You have bags that you could have used...
Thanks for the advice, it just seems the engine is whining to be shifted before that but I'll give it a go, and as far as the sauce it was an attempt at humor, about almost poopin my britches! it scared me:(

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I shift at the speeds in the manual unless I'm in a hurry, which is most of the time.
I had the shut off thing happen once. In trying to figure out what happened, I think I hit the kill switch by accident. It never happened after that.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Also if you look at the mileage you motor is not broke in yet, it is still real tight. Seems like after 10,000 miles they will loosen up a little. V-twins don't like low RPM lugging.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks for the advice, it just seems the engine is whining to be shifted before that but I'll give it a go, and as far as the sauce it was an attempt at humor, about almost poopin my britches! it scared me:(
I think you may be trying to be a bit too gentle with your new bike. Not a bad thing with a new motor, but at some point you need to wind it out a bit. The "whining to be shifted" is probably based more on topping out at your throttle position than the engine itself needing to be shifted.

Just to give you some perspective, a 5-speed transmission on a Harley 88B engine will normally run at around 3200 to 3400 at highway speeds all day long. One of the key advantages of an overhead cam engine over a pushrod system like Harleys is you can run the engine at higher RPM's. On my High Ball I'm barely touching 3,000 rpm at 70-80 mph, so you clearly have a LOT more headroom RPM-wise on this motor than you're using. Feel free to use it.

Personally, I never shift into 6th gear until I'm around 70 mph.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had that happen a few times on my '09 Kingpin. Not at the speed you were going, but when I was down shifting coming to a stop. At first I thought I didn't pull in the clutch all the way, but I was careful to pay attention and it happened again. The dealer couldn't find anything and it hasn't happened for a while. It does scare the p**p out of you if it happens at the wrong time!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had that happen a few times on my '09 Kingpin. Not at the speed you were going, but when I was down shifting coming to a stop. At first I thought I didn't pull in the clutch all the way, but I was careful to pay attention and it happened again. The dealer couldn't find anything and it hasn't happened for a while. It does scare the p**p out of you if it happens at the wrong time!
The same thing has happened to me twice when I was down shifting. I have a habit of blipping the throttle between gears when gearing down. When I took it to the dealer to see if something was wrong the tech asked me if I did this, I told him yep. He said he thinks it causes a lean running condition for a second and kills the engine. So I try not to blip anymore and it hasn't happened again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The same thing has happened to me twice when I was down shifting. I have a habit of blipping the throttle between gears when gearing down. When I took it to the dealer to see if something was wrong the tech asked me if I did this, I told him yep. He said he thinks it causes a lean running condition for a second and kills the engine. So I try not to blip anymore and it hasn't happened again.
I do it too, So I'll watch it when I can get back to riding, Thanks.cheers

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
Yeah. It's the blipping of the throttle that usually causes this. Victory's EFI system doesn't like it. It sees it as a runaway rpm and shuts the motor down. It happens mostly when the bike is new. After the EFI learns to adjust to the rider a bit; this all but stops happening.

I had to re-train myself to use the throttle on Victory's after being on HD's for so long. Downshifting is also much different. On an HD you can literally wait until you're stopped to downshift to first but don't try that on a Victory or you will be playing with it for a while. You will need to let out on the clutch a bit for every shift down if you're stopped. Downshifting while coming to a stop is the method needed. Most people do this by habit but some don't.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't ever remember this happening with my wife's 09 100ci Vegas. Wonder if it only happens with the 106ci.?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for all the input guys, it's been a few days since i had a chance to get on here, a couple things, "off topic" the windshield was a freebie, and second when you say blipping, do you mean reving, or goosing the throttle? if that's the case i do not remember doing that, because i read in another forum that it's bad to rev a motor w/out any load on it, so those guys that rev their bikes to hear the pipes, or when down shifting are actually taking a chance at damaging the cylinders.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts