Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,599 Posts
Who knows maybe all that moving stuff around to check it fixed it. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: BBob

·
Premium Member
16,012 Posts
No tuner. Everything OEM, well except mufflers They are the Jones glas packs installed in the OEM tubes. Preformed every test for IAC (plus its new) TPS and MAP sensors. Tested all wires connected to those devices per the shop manual. All good. Battery New and 12.7vdc key off 12.2 key on engine off. Engine on charge @ 14.7, AC voltage across battery running switches from 0 to about 19vac. Voltage drop battery ground to chassis ground around 10-12mv and a little less on positive to like the circuit breaker both sides. Not positve on those as they were way less than a volt so I skipped writing it down. Put it all back together and took for a 10 min or so ride and it seems OK. But it did before too. View attachment 254960
I was thinking maybe a Power Commander tuner might be going bad but it sounds like you have fixed it if it's running fine now. That's what counts.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Yea no tuner. I really dont care for them. I feel as thought the bike has way more power than I need. I tried for about 6-8 months to run it with O2 sensors disconnected to richen it up to run a little cooler. But didnt feel as though it was doing that so I hooked them back up. I was kind of think also unplug and replug maybe it reset connection or something. I always hated a CND.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
ARGH Its back. Has ran fine for a week or so. Today on way home started this dying at idle thing again. I did the IAC reset and it seems to be OK for a little while. Almost like it somehow losses its setting.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
That is definitely odd.
I know you mentioned replacing IAC.
Wondering about wiring. Poor connection. Wire broken inside insulation. Wire that rubbed through and is grounding out. Something like that.

You do any projects on bike before the issue started?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Ran the full shop manual diagnostics. Refernce voltage good @ IAC, TPS. OHM wires to both from ECM . I had same thought. Only other thing and it checked OK is charging. Although it did show a a/c voltage flux of .2 or something. I forget I have the sheet at office. I have been thinking maybe throw the 35 bucks at a volt regulator. If its an ecm I think Im screwed. Probably looking at close to 800-1000 bucks by time you find a Indian dealer that wil/can do it and parts.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
eBay used ECU.
Those rarely go bad though which still makes me think wiring or connector issue.

Did you wiggle around wires when doing your tests?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Agreed ECM is usually the lasthing in TS scenario. No rubs uou can see all wires look good and tight in connectors. OH yea and checked out the MAS sensor too. If it has to do with running I have ran the test except coils, but they normally puke when hat and under load, which is almost oposite of what this is doing.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
So it was last day before Thanksgiving break for my class. We had spare time and I broke out the DMM and took one of my students and we Ohmed out the stator. Also did the RR and diode test on it. All that checked OK, but ran the charging system test again and it just dont like the A/C voltage {I think} flux. So I think I'm going to order up a RR after I get moved to new house next week.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Received the RR couple days ago. Took time out to install it. Fired bike and all looked good. Today I got all ready to go and fired the bike. YIKES charge voltage pegged @ 18vdc. Though maybe would level out, nope. So came home and put the old one back on. Contacted the seller and guess I'll see what happens. Also the wires on it to the 3 pin connector were like 3 times as long as the OEM.

• Sad
Reactions: IndyVictory

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Got new Regulator installed. All good on voltage. But still have the dang Idle problem. This is a real head scratcher. Now I'm going way out looking for things. Thinking maybe the O Ring seals at throttle body to cylinder head because it is disimilar metals maybe bolts are loose and not seal when gets warm? Have not been able to get in to check torque to see if loose.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
This will probably sound a little ridiculous but have you checked the new battery on your tester to be certain that it is not defective? If you still have access To the tester it wouldn’t take very long to do.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I did check it. I hqve since changed jobs and no longer have access. I checked the battery when I first got it and machine never liked it. Rite out of box it said battery had like 13.2vdc but " replace battery". So something fishy there. Load test good and all that. So I went with it. A friend and I have come up with a possible hypothesis. Possibly and electronic unit is electrically overheating. Maybe internal. So I'm going to take a can of can air with me and "cool off" the ecu next time.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Maybe leave that side cover off also.
Just for a test.

Reactions: djh3

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Yup that was my plan. Sometimes I had been able to do the IAC relearn once it acted up and it would run OK for a bit.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
If that doesn’t solve it,
Have you ever measured from the ecm ground harness termination, I believe it is located right near the ecm plug. A ring terminal on a screw into the frame with a wire going to the harness , measure to see if there is dc voltage between the ring of the terminal it’s self and the negative battery terminal?

See if the ecm has a solid ground connection ? I don’t know what the value should be but if you found any voltage I’d be willing to measure mine and tell you what it reads. Mine runs fine at the moment. If you do measure it check it on ac as well as dc just for grins.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Thanks for the idea. I have run the gamit of Victory shop manual tests a month or so back. Everything checked good. But it would only take a minute or so to run this test. Should be 0 volts whether key on or off. IF OHM checked ground loop to battery should be very close to 0 Ohm. But heck its worth a shot if nothing else to clean the terminal.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Be certain to test it when the engine is running too. Ac as well as dc.
There are a lot of electronics there.

Aluminum, the frame material, can be problematic as an electrical conductor over time depending on it’s composition, what it is alloyed with. I’ve never personally seen this problem in a Vic but it is common in other commercial applications where unplated aluminum is used as a conductor . Never know.

There is a paste available at Home Depot or most hardware stores, one brand is Noalox. It is compounded to prevent the formation of oxides where currents pass through a dissimilar metal junction such as a plated screw with a plated ring terminal into an aluminum alloy.
There are several brands. It is required when terminating aluminum wire in breakers and such to meet the codes. You could also use copper neverseize or silicon grease after cleaning the aluminum surface till it was bright with fine sandpaper, steel wool or a 3m scotchbright pad. If this is even an issue will depend on what the aluminum was alloyed with. So I don’t know if it is a issue for these bikes as they age or not. Perhaps the additional grounds provided by the harness are able to compensate? . Don’t know.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Ground by ECM checked out OK. Took for a spin and about 20 min or so idle dropped off a little. Gradually got worse and started the fluxing. I tried the spray ECM, TPMS and IAC with the dust off computer air. No change. So scratching head I disconnected the plug at IAC and idle returns to stable and about 900 RPM.

41 - 60 of 109 Posts