Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to place a gauge that reads the engine temperature? With these bikes not having any indication of temp of the engine oil besides replacing the dipstick with a temp gauge that's available is there anything else one can use that would be up closer to the rest of the gauges?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
What is having an engine temp guage going to do for you? Even if it does get hotter than you want it to there not much you can do about it except shut it off.

Reactions: broggyr

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
I think the dipstick temp gauge is good enough coz it shows you when the bike is COLD / NORMAL TEMP / HOT TEMP

No matter if it is accurate or not, it still shows you the difference... Please note I found the same inner temp gauge for about 1 $ a piece, so when they got dirty or wet I can just replace them endlessly and keeps looking newish ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Why clutter up the beautiful dash or bars with a gauge that will not match the rest of the package. If you want an oil/engine temp gauge, just get the dipstick type - Quick, cheap, and easy option and it looks better than the stock dipstick.

G'day,

Vinish

·
13,262 Posts
If the motor gets to hot it will automatic shut off.
If you pull the front aluminum V and look behind the left hand mirror you'll see a black wire stuck in a slot. Pull it out and zip tie it down lower to the over flow tube. Now you will have a more accurate ambient temp gauge .

Attachments

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
Because of their design, Vic 106 engines do not overheat. Granted, they can get hot, but no damage occurs. Ride it like you stole it and keep those revs UP. Ride no lower than the high 2K rpms - shift at 3500+. Have fun with it and stop worrying.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Because of their design, Vic 106 engines do not overheat. Granted, they can get hot, but no damage occurs. Ride it like you stole it and keep those revs UP. Ride no lower than the high 2K rpms - shift at 3500+. Have fun with it and stop worrying.
I generally shift at 3000+ the vic really seems to like that better.

Reactions: RICZ

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
Thins don't really get fun unless you're shifting around 5,000... :D :D

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Thins don't really get fun unless you're shifting around 5,000... :D :D

Agreed. I rarely shift before 4K min...

To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other.

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
I do know after riding V-Twins for 30+ years it was really tough to wind up the Suzuki with a 10,500 RPM red line. I have no problem shifting at 8000 now but at first it was tough going over 4000.

Learned responses are hard to change.

Reactions: RICZ

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
Returning to my lane after a pass yesterday, I glanced at the tach and it was a bit in the red--and that was in my car, a 300C wit da Hemi! My bike's tach often is in the red, teasing the limiter. Yeah, even us old guys like to have fun.

·
13,262 Posts
You guys with the cams think your so smart. Yes I'm jealous

Reactions: broggyr

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Is there a way to place a gauge that reads the engine temperature? With these bikes not having any indication of temp of the engine oil besides replacing the dipstick with a temp gauge that's available is there anything else one can use that would be up closer to the rest of the gauges?
I looked into this, for myself, a couple of years ago.

I'm with you: I like to know what's going on. To those who say, in effect, what do you need that information for, I offer the following scenarios:

- You have an automatic tranny in your car. What do you need the tach for, you can't do anything with it?

- Would you prefer a car with only an idiot light for the coolant temp, or would you prefer a gauge? Same thing: you can't do anything about it, so why bother having it?

- A lot of bikes don't have voltmeters, unlike, say, the XCs. Would you care if your bike didn't have one? Me, I've added some sort of voltmeter to every bike I've owned that didn't come stock with one.

You get the idea. Some gauges aren't essential, but some of us like to keep tabs on things.

Regarding my project:

- I looked into some senders that replace the oil-drain plug. And decided that I didn't want anything exposed on the bottom, liable to get snapped off on a speed bump, etc.

- I looked into T-ing off the oil-pressure sensor on the side. But on the XCT, anyway, there's an ABS line or something right next to it, in the way (IMHO), and I certainly didn't want to screw up the brakes or ABS.

- I didn't want to drill and tap an existing oil line, as they're hard to locate. Also that's probably looking for trouble, if you don't do it exactly right, or if the tapped area is very thin-walled.

- I bought an oil-filter sandwich, with multiple threads and plugs for sensors. And a sensor and a meter from Trail Tech (Trail Tech || Let's Ride), and some heat-shielding insulation. Unfortunately, doing some test-fitting only -- never actually put it on -- I discovered that even a 1" deep sandwich puts the oil filter really close to the moving swingarm. And there's some bracketry next to the oil filter that prevents rotating the sandwich -- and its threaded holes -- just the way I wanted it (as there's an exhaust pipe down there, too).

So I gave up, and have some parts sitting in a box on a shelf.

But I like the concept of knowing what's going on, what's a typical temp, maybe being alerted early to a problem, maybe being able to tell if one oil really lets the engine runner cooler than another oil (or maybe the bike just gets up to some operating temp, and stays there, regardless of oil), that sort of thing.

And as for looking ugly, I bought a plastic case for the meter, and intended to mount it on the handlebar, near the dash. Lots of folks leave phones -- for GPS or bluetooth com purposes -- on bikes pretty much all the time while riding, or GPSs, or an E-ZPass, or what have you, and it doesn't bother a lot of us. And there's that whole discussion of Madstad windshields: does function overcome fugliness?

Bottom line: I think it's a valid quest to be on, and I think all bikes should come with oil temp readouts, just as I think they should come with voltage readouts. In the case of the X bikes, retrofitting may be a bear, though.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
I'm trying to think of a place that you could install the oil temp gauge into that would not interfere with anything else.

I don't think you can piggyback off the oil pressure sensor, I cant think of a passageway that has a bolt in the oil track path and you could just match up the thread and pitch and maybe stick a sensor in there.

Same thing I had to figure out on my little race truck was where was I going to put in a trans fluid sensor, before or after the cooler or on the inbound line or outbound line, I finally ended up buying a pan that had a boss for a sensor that you could screw into. I have a buddy that does hauling and towing for a living and he has a 2008 GMC with a diesel and he put three sensors inline to watch the trans temp level.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Agreed. I rarely shift before 4K min...

To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other.
so you take 1st to send at 4000 rpm ?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
so you take 1st to send at 4000 rpm ?

Yeah.

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
The best part are freeway entrance ramps. BRAAAAAAPPPPP!!! :D :D
Especially the uphill ones. Yee Haw!!! MBX finally learned the rev limiter is a shift indicator. Good for him. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts