Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on an almost 300 mile ride today through the mountains here in Colorado with my 2002 V92C. She has 11,000 miles. The bike runs perfectly but there is an annoying tapping/ticking sound which manifests after 55 mph. It gets loudest after 65 but seems to go away right at 70. I do not think it is valves or piston related. Other portions of the Victory Forum have posts about newer bikes making sounds through the throttle body but I found nothing in our older bike forum. I have gone over the bike looking for something loose but did not find anything. I am thinking knock sensor or throttle bodies. I did go through an entire tank of gas today and filled up at Shell with high octane. There was no change. Does anyone know of a model related issue which might be the cause?

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
High Octane

I have read some threads lately about using High Octane and most feel these older bike run fat, dumb and happy on lower Octane. I think I will try that on the next tank.

I have also read these bikes make noises. I guess I have to get over the fear something is going to fly off, jam up, or blow apart. The remedy seems to be, get a louder exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I have read some threads lately about using High Octane and most feel these older bike run fat, dumb and happy on lower Octane. I think I will try that on the next tank.

I have also read these bikes make noises. I guess I have to get over the fear something is going to fly off, jam up, or blow apart. The remedy seems to be, get a louder exhaust.
That 02 is as close to bulletproof as anything gets. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found the sound!!!

I am embarrassed to post this but it may help someone like me when they think they have a similar problem.

5th gear at 60 mph is to high. The chatter was from the gearbox because the bike wants me to wait until 70 to go to 5th.

Once I learned to listen to the bike, all seems well.

I love my bike.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Glad you found your problem , You are now a member of the "No lugging club" . thumb up

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lugging

ByteN2it: That is awesome you mentioned the windshield. I never heard the sound until I installed the windshield. I thought that was causing the sound and was planning on removing it this weekend to see if there was a difference. Thanks for the input.

LILMAGS500: I am honored to be a member.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts