Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rather a old school when it comes to breaking in a new bike.
I always vary my rpm's until I get at least 500 miles. Many will say it isn't necessary perhaps it isn't any more. Any how

I went on a good ride today, not very long mind you but a good 150 miles. We rode the twisty's, rode easy, and cruised on good roads up to 75 mph.
I am impressed with this bike. Handling is very good. My buddy on his 1800 vtx had a hand full when I hit the twisty's. Mind you I did not run hard. Just a good constant speed. I rarely use my brakes when having fun in the curves.
After a 150 miles I ended up with 45.2 mpg. We stopped at a filling station for my buddy to get some fuel, I did not need any. There was a Vegas and a few other bikes. The Vegas owner sat on my cc and looked and said I should have waited.
It was a good day, temps. were 85 degrees, very little traffic, and good company.
When I came in from riding my wife looked at me and said I see you feel better. Still got the smile.

dd

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The chances would be that I would dress out the XC and keep it.
I actually have the Ultra up for sale. Just too many bikes to pay insurance on.
We first would have to take a long trip to see how it would do. 2,000 miles +
I am not going to advertise the Ultra until spring though.

My wife said as long as I keep 1 with the vibrator she will be happy. LOL
:ltr:
She likes the Goldwing but she said it ain't no Harley
Nuff said

dd

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dirtdobber,

Thanks for the reply.

If I can ask you another question...

You evidently take some LONG rides. How often do you stop along the way? Have you suffered from cramps or aches, and if so, how did you alleviate them?

I have been riding since I was 10, am 55 now, and after two hours or so riding the Nomad, my throttle hand cramps up, pain runs up to my right elbow, and my back and butt are aching. Can't wait for a gas stop!!!

The Nomad handlebars and seat to footboard distance / configuration is "perfect" for my 6'3" frame. Just wondered how or what the long distance riders do to be comfortable.

JackL

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:I agree:

I have had my Ultra seat modified to fit me. Sides cut, lowered 1 inch and moved forward 1.5 inches. The Goldwing seat is okay but I have ordered the new Kuryakyn GW seat that will lower me 1 inch.

Now to your question

LD riding requires a good seat, proper back support, and different foot positions at times. The XC floorboards are long enough for me but I will be making a footrest to sit towards the front of the FB for long distance. They will be made to fit on a angle so I will be able to rest my heel on the boards and mid sole on the cruise peg.
If you have a long inseam you can use the long horn mounts on the XC. It would be required to use a threaded stud and lock nuts to be installed on the XC. lower cost than the Victory CP.

I started riding at the age of 13 and and now 60.
I have been a IBA rider for some time now.

We usually stop for fuel (depends on the bike we are on at the time) about 20 miles +- before the light comes on.
On the
GW 200-220 miles
Ultra 160-170 miles
XC not determined yet.

I always run my bikes out of fuel once they have limbered up, around 4,000 to 5,000 miles so I can have an IDEA on how far I can go before running out.
If we are riding with others around 100 miles.

Cruise pegs placed upward will put pressure on your lower back, hips, legs. The lower the better. The cruise pegs on my Ultra are low and I am able to have several positions.
Feet on the floorboards
Heel on floorboards with mid sole on the cruise pegs
feet on the cruise pegs
The XC comes with the cruise control.
All my bikes but 1 has cruise control. It really helps and you will get better fuel mileage by using it.

If you are experiencing cramps with your legs I suggest adjusting your cruise pegs for a better fit. On round 1.25 inch crass bars I prefer the tour tech cruise pegs by kuryakyn. they are angled in toward the engine and give a much better position. They come in 2 inch and 4 inch arms.

I hope this makes sense to ya
I hope this helps

dd

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am rather a old school when it comes to breaking in a new bike.
I always vary my rpm's until I get at least 500 miles. Many will say it isn't necessary perhaps it isn't any more. Any how

I went on a good ride today, not very long mind you but a good 150 miles. We rode the twisty's, rode easy, and cruised on good roads up to 75 mph.
I am impressed with this bike. Handling is very good. My buddy on his 1800 vtx had a hand full when I hit the twisty's. Mind you I did not run hard. Just a good constant speed. I rarely use my brakes when having fun in the curves.
After a 150 miles I ended up with 45.2 mpg. We stopped at a filling station for my buddy to get some fuel, I did not need any. There was a Vegas and a few other bikes. The Vegas owner sat on my cc and looked and said I should have waited.
It was a good day, temps. were 85 degrees, very little traffic, and good company.
When I came in from riding my wife looked at me and said I see you feel better. Still got the smile.

dd
What was the Vegas owner referring to when he said you should've waited?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mt bad. he said he should have waited. He was wanting a XC and after he sat on mine he knew he should have waited

dd

your welcome

1 - 9 of 9 Posts