Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I'm new to the Victory family, coming up on my one month anniversary with my new Vegas. I rode a Suzuki C50 for 5 years before moving up to the Vegas, and all of my riding has been general around town stuff, with my longest nonstop ride about 45 minutes. I'm starting to venture out on the freeway now and have managed to get my rides up to about an hour, but I'm finding that towards the end of the ride the inside of my hips start to ache, like I've been straining to hold them against the tank or something. I feel like my knees start wobbling away from the tank, nothing out of control, but just an overall shaky feeling.

I'm wondering if this is just part of getting used to riding longer distances, or if there's an issue with my ergonomics. I'm 6'1" and the pegs seem like they are in a nice position, but would it help to move them forward? The grips and handlebars are fine -- my arms haven't felt tired at all, other than some gentle wrist fatigue which I think will mellow out as I ride more.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You may not notice it to be a problem even though it could still be. Victory has long gas tanks and the handlebars are often to far forward to match the relaxed, stretched out stance your legs have so your legs are stretched forward yet your leaning forward. I'd recommend some type of pullback handlebars. I put pullback risors and aftermarket buckhorn bars on my Vegas and it helped the riding position a lot.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
First of all relax! There's no need to hug the tank with your legs an you really souldn't because you will damage your paint eventually.

Try turning your feet a little on the pegs and resting the back of your boots on the peg and allowing your feet to hang a little in front of the pegs. Changing your feet and leg positions will help with circulation as well as comfort.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Hi everybody,

I'm new to the Victory family, coming up on my one month anniversary with my new Vegas. I rode a Suzuki C50 for 5 years before moving up to the Vegas, and all of my riding has been general around town stuff, with my longest nonstop ride about 45 minutes. I'm starting to venture out on the freeway now and have managed to get my rides up to about an hour, but I'm finding that towards the end of the ride the inside of my hips start to ache, like I've been straining to hold them against the tank or something.
Pretty typical for cruiser riding. With your legs out in front of you, the wind is constantly trying to separate them at higher speeds. Over time your muscles strengthen and this will become less of an issue.

If you like to ride long, but don't do it frequently enough to develop those muscles, you could buy a crash bars and put a leather wind breaker on them that should deflect most of the troublesome air.

Almost forgot, floorboards are another nice addition that will give your legs some support by keeping your heels supported. They also provide the ability to change your leg/hip positioning if you get uncomfortable. This mod turned my last cruiser from an around town bike to one that I could ride comfortably all day.

·
Premium Member
13,167 Posts
When I get a bike with just pegs and no floorboards I have some heel stirrups that go on right away to make the ride 100% better for me. I don't know if it would make as much difference to you though. Worth a try; especially for the longer rides.

Kuryakyin sells them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm not completely sure, but I think you may be referring to the same thing I experience intermittently when I haven't ridden long distances in a while. Mine shows up on the inside of my thigh right where it meets with the torso. Within a day or so of long riding I'm pretty well adjusted, but it appears to be a muscle that's not used all that much in my everyday life...so it tends to get weak and be sore for my first day of riding. Probably related to resisting the wind that's trying to push my knee outward.

I have discovered, however, I can alleviate some of it by stretching my knee outward away from the gas tank and slightly turning my torso in the opposite direction if it starts getting sore while I'm riding. Kind of like stretching against a muscle spasm in the opposite direction. That tends to settle the muscle down a bit so it's not so uncomfortable. I don't do both legs at the same time...just the right side, then the left.

See if that helps next time you're out.

·
Registered
254 Posts
First of all relax!
+1 for this one. It helped me a lot. I used to get cramped/achy right where my thighs meet my hips. I'm not 6'1, but when I first started riding I realized I wasn't relaxing my legs and torso. I was keeping them tight either to hold myself up, keep my legs in, or some other unknown. Now when I reach my desired cruising speed and gear I have to remind myself to just let my body relax, rest my heels on the pegs, and not HOLD my legs in any position. I just let them be, they're not going anywhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts