Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 13000 miles I am getting a check engine light with error code 168. I checked the manual and the code references low voltage after start up.
While at my local dealer for the saddlebag latch fix I asked the service desk about the code. They claim that's a bad battery. So I picked up another battery, haven't installed it yet.
Has anyone seen a similar code?

·
Premium Member
6,032 Posts
There is a section in the manual that states engine codes ??? Never seen that ??? When i had a engine code, it was for low voltage on one of the injectors, coz i was installing some lizard lights etc ... It would be nice to have info on the internet about general fault codes on vics ....

I changed my vic battery also after only 1 year or less, i changed it for a Japanese one that fits right inside the vic box, then no more problems ...

Good luck and let us know if your problem is solved

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
After 13000 miles I am getting a check engine light with error code 168. I checked the manual and the code references low voltage after start up.
While at my local dealer for the saddlebag latch fix I asked the service desk about the code. They claim that's a bad battery. So I picked up another battery, haven't installed it yet.
Has anyone seen a similar code?
Not me. Yeah, I know that's not really any help.

Still original battery on my '12 XCT, 31,000+ miles. I do plug in a smart charger pretty much whenever it's in the garage, though, i.e., not just over the winter.

You buy another Yuasa?

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Did you test the battery? or have it tested? You can have 12+ volts but the health can be low. The factory Yuasa is one of the best batteries you can use.:nerd

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Did you check the terminals to see if they were tight? They tend to loosen.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New battery installed, what a PIA getting the original battery out, double face tape held it rock solid. The terminals seemed tight, not as tight as the new battery terminals are now :wink. Just a heads up for anybody installing an Interstate battery, the screws that come with it are too short, once you put a star washer on it only 2 threads are engaged. It started up like a bear. I'll be taking a ride on Sunday and find out if the error code stays away.
On another note the Lloyds tune was worth every penny.
Thanks for feedback.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
New battery installed, what a PIA getting the original battery out, double face tape held it rock solid. The terminals seemed tight, not as tight as the new battery terminals are now :wink. Just a heads up for anybody installing an Interstate battery, the screws that come with it are too short, once you put a star washer on it only 2 threads are engaged. It started up like a bear. I'll be taking a ride on Sunday and find out if the error code stays away.
On another note the Lloyds tune was worth every penny.
Thanks for feedback.
Of course, the new battery was fully charged before you installed it. Right?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Yup, 13.2 volts
Good boy! So many buy a battery off the shelf and install it without charging it up and then complain it didn't last very long.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Good boy! So many buy a battery off the shelf and install it without charging it up and then complain it didn't last very long.
You make a good point (as always, of course), Ric. However, that requirement may be increasingly old school, particularly with regard to some on-line purchases.

Take a look at Westco, for instance: Motorcyle Batteries and Marine Battteries

They note that "Guaranteed prompt delivery of our products from 1 of 20 of our regional locations throughout the U.S. is a promise. All batteries are fully charged and ready to install."

I bought a Westco AGM as a replacement a few bikes ago, and just slapped it in... as directed. It was still in the bike when I sold it, years later, doing fine.

Bottom line: charging is not always necessary when installing a replacement battery.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Hey Bill, I can't help it...I am OLD SCHOOL. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
friend of mine purchased a battery on line instructions said put the acid in the battery and no need to charge it that's what he did and just finished his 2nd year

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
friend of mine purchased a battery on line instructions said put the acid in the battery and no need to charge it that's what he did and just finished his 2nd year
Maybe AGM batteries don't need to be charged...I'mnot that familiar with them. The one in my Vic and my car are the first AGMs I have experienced and they came with the vehicles. The one in the bike is 5-1/2 years old and the car's is 8-1/2 years old and both are doing great.

·
Premium Member
6,032 Posts
When i buy car or motorbike bateries then the shop fill it with activated battery water ( don't know the English name ), 2 hours later it is already 13,2 volts ... So no need to charge, but being old school myself i put the bike on trickle charge anyway ....

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
When i buy car or motorbike bateries then the shop fill it with activated battery water ( don't know the English name ), 2 hours later it is already 13,2 volts ... So no need to charge, but being old school myself i put the bike on trickle charge anyway ....
That fluid is called electrolyte, but we also call it battery acid too.

·
Premium Member
6,032 Posts
Haaaa battery accid yes, forgot about that word ..... Actually you can just put demiwater (demineralized water) inside a new battery and just trickle charge it for 12 or 24 hour until the charger gauge goes down. They even say it is better for the battery .... "Offshore" when we run out of acid we always fill the battery from our stock with demiwater and charge it.

.. battery acid will activate the plates just fine .... Just leave the CAPS off unlill it stopped bubbling / cooking from the plate's

It is an easy job, and when you buy a battery they fill it for you anyway ?

·
12,983 Posts
Acid battery will cause you more problems then sealed batteries.
Acid battery do not last as long and terminals will have corrosion on them
The only way to get a battery is a sealed battery and if you think its been sitting on a shelf for maybe 6 months before being used the smart thing would be to overnight charge it

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The interstate battery is an AGM type, which is still a lead acid battery but with a "glass mat" in it to prevent the acid from "sloshing" around, similar to a marine battery.
The dealer added the acid, sealed it and charged it. Then I threw it on the battery tender when I got home and it was at full charge in less than an hour. I suspect the Yuasa battery I removed was an AGM type also as it didn't "slosh"around.
A friend at work opted for a lithium battery, I'll ask him how he likes it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
follow up:
New battery installed, error code gone, the few pops I was getting after the tune are gone. The world is all good again. Lloyds confirmed the wacky voltage will affect the PC-V map and the tune.
Put 150 miles on yesterday and the bike ran awesome.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts