Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

New to the forum. I'm here because I can't seem to get a straight story from anyone about what to do about having lost my keys for my 2005 Hammer S.

Just did a bunch of moving and in the move my keys have vanished.

I have heard everything from you have to order the keys from Japan to call a locksmith. But don't call a locksmith because they will ruin the cylinder.

Has anyone ever lost their keys? I could use some advice.

Thank you all,
Al

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
If push comes to shove and you can't find the key or a locksmith you can trust you can always get a new ignition switch/key. Search ebay for "victory hammer lock set" and you should find at least one with a key for $48.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why would a Lock Smith ruin your Lock?I have had good results with Lock Smiths.
I heard they have to dig in with a blank key to locate pin position. And it could potential jam up the cylinder inside...?

I'm not a pro at locks so that was news to me

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Hello Everyone,

New to the forum. I'm here because I can't seem to get a straight story from anyone about what to do about having lost my keys for my 2005 Hammer S.

Just did a bunch of moving and in the move my keys have vanished.

I have heard everything from you have to order the keys from Japan to call a locksmith. But don't call a locksmith because they will ruin the cylinder.

Has anyone ever lost their keys? I could use some advice.

Thank you all,
Al
Did you buy it new? If so, just call the dealer you bought it from and have them order you a key. Your low post count paired with that "Japan" comment has me thinking that you may have stole the bike as any TRUE Victory owner would KNOW that Japan doesn't have much (if anything) to do with these bikes.:crzy:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you buy it new? If so, just call the dealer you bought it from and have them order you a key. Your low post count paired with that "Japan" comment has me thinking that you may have stole the bike as any TRUE Victory owner would KNOW that Japan doesn't have much (if anything) to do with these bikes.:crzy:
Haha funny and insulting all in one post. I was hoping for assistance not color commentary on my obvious blunder.

I bought it from a friend who was just getting to old to ride and wasn't getting much use out of it. So I could go to him and ask the Tucson dealer for a key. But when I called the dealer in tucson he bought it from today they did not present that as an option they told me to call a locksmith or buy a new ignition.

I was hoping I would find some better options from experienced owners as I have graduated from street bikes and am a new victory enthusiast.

·
Registered
146 Posts
From page 37 in the 2007 owners manual:

"The ignition key identification number is stamped into the shaft of each key.
With the ignition key number and proof of ownership, an authorized Victory dealer can assist you in obtaining a replacement key.
Notice: For easy reference, record all vehicle numbers in the space provided on page 159."

·
Registered
229 Posts
suck it up.

buying a new ignition is your cheapest and easiest option. Maybe then you'll remember to keep the 2 keys separate from each other & where they won't get lost.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Haha funny and insulting all in one post. I was hoping for assistance not color commentary on my obvious blunder.

I bought it from a friend who was just getting to old to ride and wasn't getting much use out of it. So I could go to him and ask the Tucson dealer for a key. But when I called the dealer in tucson he bought it from today they did not present that as an option they told me to call a locksmith or buy a new ignition.

I was hoping I would find some better options from experienced owners as I have graduated from street bikes and am a new victory enthusiast.
You had not posted that you had already tried that otherwise I might have been a bit gentler. I'd agree with the others, just have a locksmith come take a look at it. Most do know what they are doing and won't damage your ignition. In the worst case, you can always pony up the $'s for a new ignition, right?

.....shuffles off to make CERTAIN that his key #'s are written down on the file folder that holds the rest of my buyers paperwork.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
wac Just don't you love how soap operas end? Or is it really done? Will DTAMFS let it go or will the flaming continue? Will AMMO UMB sling more mud his way? Will Tarzan fan the flames or just quit reading in disgust? Tune in tomorrow to find out AS the Victory World Turns......

·
Registered
41 Posts
Been there , done that. Mine was not even a week old. Key fell out of my pocket while helping a friend move some stuff. I still had the spare but didn't feel comfortable having one floating out there somewhere even though the chance of someone attempting to try the key in every bike they came across was slim (just my insecurities). Ended up getting a new key set and gas cap for about $75-$85 from dealer. Peace of mind once again..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yahtzee!!! Called a friend over retraced all my last steps and....

He went over to couch were I last remember having the key dug in between the cushion and stuck in the joint of the metal was a black top key wedged into the joint.

A couch that I had flipped over loaded in a truck and traveled miles with.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Sorry for such a dramatic entrance to the forum.

Thanks again
Everyone can finish up their popcorn now

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Helpful hint learned from an experience I'm to embarrassed to share: I always have 2 keys on my person for whatever vehicle I'm operating. And there is a 3rd one at home. If I drop a key down a sewer or off a pier, I can still get going with just an "oh well."

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
DTAMF, good to hear you found your key. Now go get a couple of spares made.

Gibson, the soap opera is over and they all lived happily ever after...

Ricz, don't you know that admitting to losing keys is like admitting to be in the TOC? Anytime I go pretty much anywhere my wife carries one of my spare keys and I carry one of hers. Our key rings were a little crowded when both of carried spare keys for 2 kids cars too.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I was told once that Kawasaki shares the same blanks our Vic's use so he may not be all that far off with his statement. Not everything about Victory's is made Stateside.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts