Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see so many trendy "bobers" without a front and only 1/4 of a rear fender.....Seems this is a styling tend that fits a look but to actually ride with would be foolish. I'd imagine the bike's finish would be damaged in no time and the rider would be pelted constantly.....Also riding in wet conditions would be impossible.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have no front fender on my 77 xs650 bobber. I dont really notice any difference.

Mine has a full rear fender though. I would imagine you would kick up stuff off the tire into your back.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I see so many trendy "bobers" without a front and only 1/4 of a rear fender.....Seems this is a styling tend that fits a look but to actually ride with would be foolish. I'd imagine the bike's finish would be damaged in no time and the rider would be pelted constantly.....Also riding in wet conditions would be impossible.
Yes and you are mostly right in what you said " I'd imagine the bike's finish would be damaged in no time and the rider would be pelted constantly.....Also riding in wet conditions would be impossible"

I suppose the finish of the bike gets pelted more but there is less finish to pelt. On most early bobbers the finish came out of a spray can anyway.
Most people built them because it was what they could afford and it was the limits of the skills they had.

Scrapping the fenders, bags floorboards etc got the weight down and got you enough clearance to go around a corner at some speed.
Early bikes had pitiful Hp. Typical shovelhead HD's had 45-50 hp at the rear wheel in new stock form. Few had money for new and most could operate a hacksaw, a spraycan and a file. Enter the bobber. The chopper guys would give you the parts they took off because no one wanted fat bobs and big fenders. Shops had basements full of them.

When it rained you went to the bar or toughed it out. There was a whole culture of people sitting in the bars more than riding then anyway. If it rained and you pulled into a bar or under a bridge you had plenty of company. It wasn't near as romantic as it might sound.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My buddy did it for a while with his 92 Dyna Wide Glide with a 16" Fat front tire.
It was great until the first time he got caught in the rain. The front fender went back on that night.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I rode more than a 1500km in the rain on my Highball with that teeny little front fender and no windshield... Meh not a huge deal. Ride for an hr stop for 2.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I have 12000 miles without a rear fender and 500 miles without a front one. The down fall is when it is raining. I shoot water up 25 feet off the rear at 60 mph and generally get soaked.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Yup, briefly. I like the no fenders bobba look- although this is a little warped- I was waiting for the front to be painted.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
10000 miles in 5 years- you must have a few bikes then?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts