Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the northeast and got caught in some T-storms on the ride home from work today. I must say that I am totally impressed with the protection that the fairing on my XC offers. I rode 25 miles in on and off rain and hail and the only part of me that got wet was from my knees to my shoes. I am very happy!! I do have the Klockwerks windsheild and believe that this helped also. I dont even think my glasses got wet. SWEET!!!! I have about 3400 miles so far and absolutely love this bike. 2012 XC
LongRIderthumb up

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am just over the RI border in CT...we didnt have a single drop of rain today...let alone hail...

I'm in the northeast and got caught in some T-storms on the ride home from work today. I must say that I am totally impressed with the protection that the fairing on my XC offers. I rode 25 miles in on and off rain and hail and the only part of me that got wet was from my knees to my shoes. I am very happy!! I do have the Klockwerks windsheild and believe that this helped also. I dont even think my glasses got wet. SWEET!!!! I have about 3400 miles so far and absolutely love this bike. 2012 XC
LongRIderthumb up

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I rode home in a thunder storm from Cleveland to Toledo and my face shield on my helmet was soaked. I have the Ness Flip windscreen so I have to believe your windshield played a large part in your praise. While I appreciate my fairing, I cannot claim the same satisfaction you seem to have.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am just over the RI border in CT...we didnt have a single drop of rain today...let alone hail...
9secondsflat, I live in cranston and we only got a few drops. I work in Mass and ride home on 295 south. Most of the rain was in Mass and northern RI. Getting wet is still better than driving a cage. I have a 60 mile round trip every day and I havent even started my truck in almost three weeks. :cool:
LongRider

·
Registered
372 Posts
Now if you had the soft lowers in play that slip over the forged bars you would be next to bone dry. They are well worth the $$'s and descretely stow away in one of the saddlebags taking hardley any room. thumb up

·
Registered
65 Posts
Now if you had the soft lowers in play that slip over the forged bars you would be next to bone dry. They are well worth the $$'s and descretely stow away in one of the saddlebags taking hardley any room. thumb up
Which lowers will do that? I would be interested in something that stows in the bags until needed for a long ride.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have just 3K miles on my 2012 XC, but most of those were in the rain here in the 'not so sunny' Northwest. I bought the soft lowers and a 1/2 cover from my Vic dealer the day I bought the bike (Christmas Eve). Pretty good use of $130.
In light rain I commute in dress shoes and slacks. In heavier rain I wear rain gear, but still dress shoes. With the soft lowers my feet do not get wet. I cover the bike when parked outside. Both of these parts stow in those huge saddlebags quite easily when not in use.
I have the Klockworks Flipshield which cuts most of the upper rain, and my Scorpion visor catches the rest.
Now that it's warmer and drier, I have removed the lowers (takes about 2 minutes).
This is my second Victory, and the only regret I have is that I traded in my '04 Vegas. I really miss that bike. I should have kept it and had two bikes for separate riding purposes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought the soft lowers and a 1/2 cover from my Vic dealer the day I bought the bike (Christmas Eve). Pretty good use of $130.
Do you have a photo of the soft lowers on your bike? Do they cover up the entire forged bars? Do they do fairly decent job of controlling the buffeting?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you have a photo of the soft lowers on your bike? Do they cover up the entire forged bars? Do they do fairly decent job of controlling the buffeting?
I have them off at this time and don't have a picture, but when installed they cover the lower 2/3's of the outer support of the forged bars and none of the upper decorative arm of the bar. The inner edge of the lower has a hard strip that actually slips into the outer edge of the chin spoiler. The lower end slips over the lower point of the chin spoiler. The upper strap fits in between the decorative upper and the top support bar. then the outer edge folds around the vertical support. They fill the entire bar area. This makes the soft lowers very effective. I haven't noticed any drop in mileage, but I'm sure there would be some effect at hiway speeds. I wouldn't recommend leaving them on in warm weather.

All in all I have been very pleased with the Victory soft lowers, but I am noticing buffeting now that they are off and I am doing more hiway riding. I am waiting for information from JTDCycles on his new design for hard lowers.

Hope this helps.

Dermer

·
Registered
18 Posts
I received my JTD lowers last Friday. Had to work the weekend so my brother offered to install them. thus, I don't have any pictures of the installation. I purchased the basic set without lights, speakers, or stowage. My brother said it only took about an hour and a half to install the lowers. A simple and straightforward installation. The fit and fair is excellent. I didn't bother with paint because I think the black fits the look of the bike. After he installed them he brought the bike to me so I could test the lowers after work.

The look and function of the lowers is much better than I expected, after reading how others have struggled with buffeting.

I don't want this to sound like am immature rave, but I have to say, at 70-80 mph, the buffeting is remarkably reduced. I mostly feel a slight push on my back as the airflow from the fairing moves around my body. The vertical air flow up my legs, chest, and face is gone. This was at night, temps were cool (58) so I rode with the vents fully closed. I was wearing my regular glasses, not goggles, and there was minimal 'flutter'; I could see clearly all the time. This was my major issue with the buffeting. I hated not being able to see well.

I have since ridden with the vents open during the day and there is plenty of airflow to keep the engine cool enough so that, in the heat (80+), it wasn't uncomfortable. We don't get much hotter than that here. There is more airflow up my body, but it is certainly a great improvement over riding without the lowers. Being able to adjust the vents is a real asset when riding in changing temperatures.

I think John at JTD has a great product at a fair price. I am very happy with my purchase. IMHO, If you are thinking about lowers for your forged bars, JTD's are an excellent choice.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've had my JTD lowers on for nearly 2 weeks now and have ridden several days in 100+ North Texas summer heat. I agree it is a great product at a reasonable price, but still don't think it is the cure all for buffeting.

The lowers do help reduce the air coming up from the front end and they do a great job managing the air flow below the gas tank, allowing the flexibility with the adjustable vent to have minimal air or lots of air flowing past the egine.

The real problem, as has been pointed out by others in other threads, is the air coming under the fairing and above the forged bars. The JTD lowers reduce some of that air but still plenty of it coming through between the fairing and the lowers.

Windshield height is a big factor too. I have a Vic tall shield that does a pretty good job pushing the air over my head, but it is cracking and needs to be replaced. I tried a 19" Cee Dragon, but it put too much air right into my face and helmet area so at highway speed it was too much to handle. Have a 7jurock with flip on order and am hoping that will do as well or better than the Vic tall.

Had the Vic fork lowers and homemade forged bar lowers before the JTD and that combination was almost as good as the JTD setup, but the JTD lowers look much better and I also have the LED light option and really like that.

From what I have read, this solution still isn't as good as the Vic lowers on the round bars that is now standard for the XCT. Even so, I didn't want to spend the money for that option and I really like the unique look of the forged bars. Now with the JTD lowers, that look is even better.

Cheers,
Randy

·
Registered
573 Posts
I've had my JTD lowers on for nearly 2 weeks now and have ridden several days in 100+ North Texas summer heat. I agree it is a great product at a reasonable price, but still don't think it is the cure all for buffeting.

The lowers do help reduce the air coming up from the front end and they do a great job managing the air flow below the gas tank, allowing the flexibility with the adjustable vent to have minimal air or lots of air flowing past the egine.

The real problem, as has been pointed out by others in other threads, is the air coming under the fairing and above the forged bars. The JTD lowers reduce some of that air but still plenty of it coming through between the fairing and the lowers.

Windshield height is a big factor too. I have a Vic tall shield that does a pretty good job pushing the air over my head, but it is cracking and needs to be replaced. I tried a 19" Cee Dragon, but it put too much air right into my face and helmet area so at highway speed it was too much to handle. Have a 7jurock with flip on order and am hoping that will do as well or better than the Vic tall.

Had the Vic fork lowers and homemade forged bar lowers before the JTD and that combination was almost as good as the JTD setup, but the JTD lowers look much better and I also have the LED light option and really like that.

From what I have read, this solution still isn't as good as the Vic lowers on the round bars that is now standard for the XCT. Even so, I didn't want to spend the money for that option and I really like the unique look of the forged bars. Now with the JTD lowers, that look is even better.

Cheers,
Randy
Randy, excellent write up. it is sort of what I expected in that the factory lowers have fairing mounted wind deflectors (I have the factory lowers on my 2011 XC). They work really great most of the time, but you lose the forged bars, they are an expensive upgrade, and aren't perfect in really high heat.

I don't think there is any "cure all". All the solutions have issues, either price, looks, effectiveness, adjustability, or ??. Still, the bike itself is such a winner, i can live with thischeers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts