Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not too wild about the excessive "slop" in the foot brake and shift levers. Has anyone come up with a solution to reduce that side-to-side wobble in the levers? I was thinking maybe a thin spring washer might help.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Mine has no excess play; have you checked other bikes at the dealer?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
For the sake of clarity, what is the measured limit above which we consider it excessive? I'm sure they all have to have a bit of movement.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got back from my local dealer and all of the Cross bikes and Visions had varying amounts of slop in the brake and shift levers. My guess is that the pivot bolt holding these things on can vary in tightness (depending on the torque setting of the air guns during assembly?) and a tighter bolt results in less play on the lever. I'm going to take a closer look at mine tonight and see if I can tighten things up a little. If I can't, I've already found super thin mylar washers at my local Ace Hardware that I can use to take up the slop.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I just got back from my local dealer and all of the Cross bikes and Visions had varying amounts of slop in the brake and shift levers. My guess is that the pivot bolt holding these things on can vary in tightness (depending on the torque setting of the air guns during assembly?) and a tighter bolt results in less play on the lever. I'm going to take a closer look at mine tonight and see if I can tighten things up a little. If I can't, I've already found super thin mylar washers at my local Ace Hardware that I can use to take up the slop.
Thanks JohnC. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
You are heading in the right direction, John. Over the (many) years, I have had to solve the same problem and I did it the same way you are doing -with spring washers and/or nylon washers. I have some slop in my bike, but it has no effect on my riding and use the shifter a lot, especially in the twisties.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, here's what I've found. The pivot bolts holding the brake and shift lever arms on are shoulder bolts. The nuts on those bolts bottom out against the shoulder and you can't tighten them any more. I guess this is so that they cannot be over-tightened and cause the levers to bind up.

So the only option is to take up any slack using washers on the shoulder bolts. When I went to Ace Hardware today, I saw wave washers that I originally thought would work, but the wave washers I saw large enough to go on the shoulder bolts would be way too thick. I think the best bet is to use the mylar / nylon washers I mentioned earlier, one on each side of the arm.

This may be something I look into further at a later date but I think I'll live with the slop for now. Just thought I'd update this thread with my findings in case anyone else wants to look into this further.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up JohnC! My brake lever is good and tight but my shift lever reminds me of my old HD shift levers the way it's all wiggly.

The sooner this is dealt with the less it will be an issue later on.

Much obliged for bringing this up John.

Boomer

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Hey! A little pork rind and some bailing wire will do jus' fine, young 'un.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts

·
Registered
12,202 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
You can back up in the same link using the dropdown and get to the IPB for the brakes. I can't seem to get the link to copy so I can't do it for you. When you get to it you'll see that there is no wave washer but there are bushings (2ea Item 5) on each side of the mounting hole for the brake pedal.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Whatever you guys wedge in there, make absolutely sure the lever doesn't get stuck, no matter what. That especially includes temperature variations, when your newley added washers could expand enough to create friction. I know I'm stating the obvious here, but better safe than sorry. ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just confirmed what Ammo said, there is no wave washer used on the brake pedal assembly, just a couple of bushings.

·
Registered
528 Posts
While I was taking a break I checked out the brake/gear pedals.

I did not like what I found. Without taking anything apart I noticed the bolt is slightly smaller than the connection hole. This causes a wobbling effect. There is also some extra space between the connecting mount and the pedal, not enough washers. I will be adding (if safely possible) stainless steel washers. They are thinner and if more is needed I will just bend it slightly to make a wave washer out of it. This will help but it will not take up the space that is causing the wobble. The tolerances are not tight enough. I am sure this will satisfy me.
Mine is not that bad, and everything works just fine.

Nothing but a thought

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
I'm not a metallurgist but I did take some classes when I was younger.

Unless something has changed; just bending some stainless won't make a wave washer. It needs to be made from "spring steel" which is just a steel that has been treated differently to maintain its shape. I could be wrong but this is the way I remember it. You might be better off using a lock washer. I dunno for sure.

·
Registered
528 Posts
you are correct bending a stainless steel washer will not make it a wave washer. But it can fill a very small gap. From the looks of mine a thin washer will do it. Lock washers are thick as compared to just a washer. They have to be in order to retain it's strength. You do not want it tight or even snug. I did not have the time to check the actual clearance. Something else I noticed is on the brake arm when I applied pressure from side to side (wobble) is the nut moves sightly. you really have to look to see it. It appears the bolt (allen head) comes from the engine side out ward with a nut. Another thought would be to replace it with a sae which is slightly larger. This may improve the wobble.
I do no understand why did it this way. The more you ride the more clearance you will have due to wallowing. It will take a while but it will happen sooner or later.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts