Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got two 2005 Pins, both with Victory Performance slipons. One runs great, the other one spudders when puttin around town but runs great at cruising speed. This one is considerably louder. My question is, are the exhaust baffles packed with fiberglass? If so and the fiberglass is burned out, would this make it run poorly at lower rpm and or backfire through the exhaust on decleration ? I've already cleaned throttle body, put in new plugs, battery, cleaned and oiled K&N air filter and checked for vacume leak at TB boot and service port plugs. This bike has 25K on it.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
580 Posts
You have some good questions. Sounds like the one that is backfiring and running poorly, is running lean. I believe that a motor set up to run with a baffled exhaust, will run well. If you take the baffles away you will need to re-jet to a richer setting, (ie open up the exhaust). Sounds to me like you diagnosis is a good one.

Conversely, my Vegas runs very lean with a stage one, shotgun pipes. I am thinking that baffles will help me richen it up a tad. I do like the straight pipe look, but it seems to lean overall.

Mark

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have some good questions. Sounds like the one that is backfiring and running poorly, is running lean. I believe that a motor set up to run with a baffled exhaust, will run well. If you take the baffles away you will need to re-jet to a richer setting, (ie open up the exhaust). Sounds to me like you diagnosis is a good one.

Conversely, my Vegas runs very lean with a stage one, shotgun pipes. I am thinking that baffles will help me richen it up a tad. I do like the straight pipe look, but it seems to lean overall.

Mark
Thank you for your imput Mark. Much appretiated. So, are the baffles packed with fiberglass?

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
When I bought my Kingpin it ran great in higher rpms. It would sputter and backfire and eventually foul plugs at lower rpms. It turns out that it sat over the winter at the dealer And the battery went dead. Somehow when it was recharged it lost it's TPS setting. It was like 40 points too rich. They adjusted the TPS and it was good after that.
The weird thing was that I rode it for a couple weeks like that and if I could get it warmed up it ran ok. It smelled rich though.And would backfire occasionally too.

You could try a simple TPS reset.
1. Turn on key and kill switch without starting
2. Roll throttle to wide open and hold for a five count.
3. Release throttle and turn key off then back on
4. Start.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts