Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a favorite pair of boots, "Blackhawk Warrior Wear Light Assault Boots." These have a textured, rubberized, coating in some areas, and when I rest the inside back of the boots against the exhaust area some of the rubberized area melts against the exhaust shield -- see the red circles on the attached pics.

I'll save any responders the trouble, i.e., I'm aware that possible solutions include:

1) Wear more heat-resistant boots. I'd prefer not to do this, because the Blackhawks have nice air-flow, are light, and are super comfortable; see my review at Tactical Boots For Motorcycle Riding - webBikeWorld , if interested.

2) Don't put your feet back and inside. I generally ride with my feet near the front and outside of the floorboards, but when doing serious twisties getting your feet back and in allows for appropriate body-position adjustments.

I'm looking for other solutions. I'm wondering whether someone -- Stokers, Vicbaggers, that type of outfit -- makes some anti-exhaust foot guard. Maybe something with Swiss-cheese holes, billet or cast, that, say, would attach to that ugly clamp bolt (see green circle in pic).

Or maybe there's some high-temp-capable rubber-ish pad that could attach with high-temp adhesive backing to that area. I'm thinking along the lines of the rubber pads that are found on the sides of some (mostly vintage) gas tanks, only smaller and high-heat resistant.

BTW, I have stock pipes, never been removed, and there is a gap in that area between the pipe and the chrome cover. And I keep a can of EasyOff oven cleaner and a Scotchbrite Dobie pad in the garage, but using them gets old fast.

Thoughts, links, suggestions, anyone?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Your brake pedal pad , is enormous ....

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your brake pedal pad , is enormous ....
I think it's just happy to see you, Mags.

Actually, it is on the large size. It's the "Regular Long Horn" style from Dain; see (about the middle of the page) Victory Brake Pedal Products Made in the U.S.A for your Victory Motorcycle . I put that on a couple of weeks ago, and couldn't be more pleased with it. As I noted, I tend to keep my feet up front and on the outside, so this particular pedal requires very little movement to reach, and provides a nice solid platform.

Nice boots. They look comfy.

Have you considered a piece of leather wrapped around that area?
Bob, that's an interesting idea. Barring someone's coming up with some bracket, I'll ride to some local cobbler and see if it's possible to sew in a leather overlay around the heel area.

I'd still like to see some bracket, but I don't know any local fabricators.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Bill
I had to use a heat resistant patch on my frog toggs . Maybe you could make a boot cover with this material. My rain gear always got two close to both my VTX. And Vic and melted on my pipes.
http://www.froggtoggs.com/smokin-toad.html

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I hear you loud and clear Brother. I too ride with my feet pulled back, however I keep mine there most all the time when on the highway just putting along. I happen to wear Hi-Tec tactical/hiking boots, or 5.11 boots as my preferred riding footwear. Both are like wearing slippers on the bike when properly broken in.

I melted a bit of boot in the same place as you but just rubbed it off when the pipe was hot. My pipes are black so all it did was leave a dull spot for me. I'm really cognizant that if I leave my boot there long enough that it will melt. I'm a little paranoid the boot will catch fire and I'll give myself a Wile E Coyote hot foot at 80 miles an hour. That would be the definition of bad things you can do to yourself on a motorcycle.

I'm thinking a bit of 16 GA flat steel about 3 inches wide or so with the length to be determined. Massage it around some 3 inch pipe for the radius and using the clamp bolt as a mount might just work. For me the finish is a lot easier, like I said my pipes are black. A squirt of Barbecue flack black paint(for the hi temp it'll see) and I'm golden. You'll need chrome if it matters.

Another project...................

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
I think it's just happy to see you, Mags.

Actually, it is on the large size. It's the "Regular Long Horn" style from Dain; see (about the middle of the page) Victory Brake Pedal Products Made in the U.S.A for your Victory Motorcycle . I put that on a couple of weeks ago, and couldn't be more pleased with it. As I noted, I tend to keep my feet up front and on the outside, so this particular pedal requires very little movement to reach, and provides a nice solid platform.

Bob, that's an interesting idea. Barring someone's coming up with some bracket, I'll ride to some local cobbler and see if it's possible to sew in a leather overlay around the heel area.

I'd still like to see some bracket, but I don't know any local fabricators.
You don't really need a cobbler, could stick a leather patch on with Sikaflex 227 and it'd be permanent

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1) I just ordered two of the Frogg Toggs patches that Jim suggested (post #6). The shipping was more than the patch kit (arrgh!), but since it didn't change if I ordered two kits, and they're cheap enough, I'll have an extra one, if need be.

I'll see how this bargain-priced solution works out.

2) I really prefer the solution that Jamming is working on (post #7). Jamming: if you finish this project: A) pics!, and; B) maybe you could make some more of these, sell them, and retire to Tahiti. I can always get it chromed somewhere.

3) Motorbikex: interesting possibility. Let me see how -- or if -- the Frogg Toggs patch kit works out, and then maybe I'll pursue this, if need be.

What I have in my mind -- and this relates to solution 2 -- are those Swiss-cheese metal guards you see a lot on "scramblers," where the pipe(s) come up very high, sort of alongside the seat (but a bit lower). On these types of bikes, the rider's leg is protected by these types of guards, with a big ol' air space between the guard and the actual exhaust pipe(s). So why not something like that, only much smaller, around that boot area on the Cross bikes?

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
2) I really prefer the solution that Jamming is working on (post #7). Jamming: if you finish this project: A) pics!, and; B) maybe you could make some more of these, sell them, and retire to Tahiti. I can always get it chromed somewhere.

What I have in my mind -- and this relates to solution 2 -- are those Swiss-cheese metal guards you see a lot on "scramblers," where the pipe(s) come up very high, sort of alongside the seat (but a bit lower). On these types of bikes, the rider's leg is protected by these types of guards, with a big ol' air space between the guard and the actual exhaust pipe(s). So why not something like that, only much smaller, around that boot area on the Cross bikes?
Dang it Bill!!!! You're gonna make me build one aren't you? :grin
Ok fine! I'll work on it...if I get a prototype I like...I ll post it up. :devil

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was just wondering if one could get some of that fiberglass exhaust tape and wrap that area that would maybe lower the temp enough so your boot didn't melt?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Fairless makes that "engine cage" he is probably your best bet in the known aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was just wondering if one could get some of that fiberglass exhaust tape and wrap that area that would maybe lower the temp enough so your boot didn't melt?
Draper: interesting idea. Maybe I'll unclamp the chrome cover and have a look underneath that area.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
94 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
I put exhaust wrap on the pipes of my 2006 Nomad - over the Vance & Hines - they proceeded to just crack! Not sure if that was the origin of the crack as they cracked exactly where 100 other Nomad's pipes had cracked but I din notice something - the metal on the cracked pipes was very brittle? Not sure if the wrap made them weaken? But I am hesitant to wrap another set of pipes! I did put heat mat on the backside of the shields down by where my right leg goes - not sure how much it helped?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: Patch Solution

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I took Jim's suggestion and ordered the Frogg Toggs patch (see Smokin Toad? Heat Shield & Patch Kit and pic below).

I've had a super-busy month with other matters, which hasn't left much time for anything, but I got around to trimming a patch (with regular scissors) and putting it on the other day. I followed the directions, with two bouts of paste and a 15-minute interval, and let dry overnight. See pics.

I went for a long ride yesterday (see http://www.victoryforums.com/68-new-england-canada-east/145994-2015-new-england-victory-rally.html ), and purposely put my right foot back and against the heat shield for several periods of a minute or two. This is similar to what happens when I do twisties, because otherwise I keep my feet pretty well forward.

The end result was no problem with the patch itself. Heck, it's meant to deal with hot pipes, so it lived up to the claim. And on the heat shield itself, there were just a few marks (see pic), and nowhere near the type of melted rubber I got before (see first post in the thread for that heat-shield pic). These spots look to be some of the adhesive goop that comes with the patch kit, and came off with some quick detailer and some elbow grease (i.e., no use of EasyOff, Dobie, etc.). I suspect this will not be a problem once more of the sealant melts off or otherwise disappears.

This is not a generalized solution, of course, because what if you don't have black boots, or wear many different boots, etc. I'd still like VicBaggers or someone to come up with a, um, heat-shield-shield. But for me, for now, I'm much better off than before, regarding this problem. Thanks, Jim.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 21 Posts