Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I picked up my Ness Vision, I rode it 1400 miles home. On the first morning while walking up to it I noticed the cross over pipe was damaged by someone in the past. Like it was scraped big time over a curb. It was obviously old damage.

Long story short, I convincingly argued that since it was considered a "new bike" from the dealership and was an "executive demo" from Victory, any damage present would have been caused by Victory and therefore repaired/replaced under warranty.

Don't know what he said to get Victory to get it warrantied but I just received the new pipe in the mail. The thing is the entire rear cylinder exhaust down to both mufflers. Big piece to include the heat shields.

I noticed that there are two "catalysts" in the pipes. At least that's what they are called in the service manual.

Anyone know if they are truly needed? Pros or cons of removing? I'm assuming it's an emissions thing or maybe a back pressure thing.

If it's like a car, would only be good from a performance perspective on removing them.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
From what I have read on here and other sites is that you can remove them but you will definitely need a fuel controller added because of the loss of back pressure.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Anyone know if they are truly needed?
If you wish to keep the bike street legal, then the answer is yes. If you do get rid of them, take them to a scrap yard. The platinum inside is worth $.

Pros or cons of removing?
An engine is an air pump. Theoretically, you can flow more air (make more power) without such impediments. But often there is more to theory than meets the eye.

I'm assuming it's an emissions thing
You're a good guesser. Enjoy your new pipes.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Supposedly Victory uses the cat. as a velocity device and it helps maintain exhaust gas velocity. That's what Kevin X told me.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Since I have a controller and I plan to do other mods like cams one day, it wouldn't hurt? Maybe help?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Well, according to Kevin's Dyno tuning experience, he strongly recommends keeping it in the pipe. I was surprised about that, and still scratch my head over it, but I believe he has VASTLY more knowledge about this than me, and most other people as far as that goes. Find him, and PM him about it. See what he says.

·
13,254 Posts
If you come back and read this think of this.
Your ECM is designed to function with the cats in place so if you gut the pipes your ECM will not function the way it should.
Yes your bike will still run but you will not get all the true benefits.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I totally understand how changing or modifying the bike from stock can affect the ECU and programming and performance etc.

It is also designed to work with the stock mufflers, stock air intake and filter, and certain octane fuel, stock cams, and stock bore. The ECU can be changed (via actually reprogramming or adding a controller) which is why I have a controller already to adjust and compensate positively with changing stuff out. I've already changed the intake ports, exhaust, added the additional filter under the center console. With that I added the FCM-III from Lloyds.

It's not a stretch to think that by say....removing the exhaust baffles...can have a positive affect on performance IF the fuel controller can adjust in response. I don't want to remove my baffles as I don't want the window shattering sound. BUT if the same result could be gained be removing the Catalyst instead of the baffles FOR PERFORMANCE (not sound) reasons, and still let the fuel controller adjust accordingly, then it could be an option.

Just an option....not saying I'm going to remove the Catalysts. I'm fact searching. Pros and cons.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
You could just gut your original set and see how things go. With the Converter in there I don't see how changing pipes on these bikes could cause lean conditions, that think looks pretty restrictive!

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
From what I have seen and read, very rarely is there any increase in performance by removing a good cat, on anything, car, truck, bike anything.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For lack of positive results, I'll just leave well enough alone. That's just fine with me. If its not an overwhelming majority approved mod then it's not for me. Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I removed the cats on my 2008 Vision "stage one kit installed". I have not noticed any negative results, to the contrary. The bike seems to pull better in 6th gear. Not a big difference but I do notice a difference. I know of dealers that remove the cats when doing a stage one.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now that's interesting to hear that they are sometimes removed at the time of other upgrades. Very interesting indeed.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Getting notified of the above post reminded me to call LLoydz and ask what they do with their exhausts.

I just called and according to Danny, Lloyd doesn't believe there is a benefit of removing them. Therefore, they don't ever pull them out. That's good enough for me especially since I use their stuff.

They're staying in.

·
13,254 Posts
What about removing the stock mufflers on my 2013 Vegas? I just took them off completely, but left the catalysts in. It sounds decent, but could this damage my bike?
loss of power is all you have done

·
13,254 Posts
I removed the cats on my 2008 Vision "stage one kit installed". I have not noticed any negative results, to the contrary. The bike seems to pull better in 6th gear. Not a big difference but I do notice a difference. I know of dealers that remove the cats when doing a stage one.
Think of this your ECM is designed to work with cats a long with your ignition timing.
You have lost power even if you don't think you

1 - 20 of 56 Posts